Replies: 8492
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:06:59 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Covid and lock downs in a nutshell

Started by Frood, September 06, 2020, 11:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Caskur, you do realize that when a jurisdiction opens up after closing down completely, of course some people return to work. But, still employment levels in WA are at seventy per cent of what they were pre pandemic. Your state and my province have not recovered all jobs lost due to enforced lock downs.  A lot of service jobs in your state and my province are gone for good thanks to hard lock downs. There is no economic argument for full quarantine.

The US added 1.4 million jobs last month, but they are no where near the jobs boom they had pre pandemic. No place will return to pre pandemic employment levels until all sectors of the economy(travel) are open. That won't happen until there is immunity. You only get immunity by everybody catching it and recovering(very risky) or mass inoculation.

caskur

We've not been hard locked down for 2 months. Our borders are closed, no one can leave or come in except returning citizens who will go straight to Quarantine..

None of what you are saying is true. Most of it is exaggerated. I don't know where you get 70% of jobs disappeared. Where did you read that falsehood?

The economic argument, and I've already given it is this,... if the virus goes rampant in our Fortress WA community like it has in yours, the mines would cease to operate and WA mines drives our economy.

My brother is having an operation on Monday.... I've been going to hospital appointments this whole time. I can go to beaches and restaurants and have done since we came out of lockdown two months ago.

To me, this has been the greatest time since the 1980s.

Had you and the USA done the right thing in the beginning, you wouldn't be saying this now. Sydney and Melbourne buggered up their Covid-19 response and are still paying for it today.

And don't worry about our economy... we feed ourselves, Asia and middle east. You have no idea how rich we are in natural primary industry and commodities. The first people to feed the Beirut blast victims were Australia during a covid crisis.

We don't sit around bitching and complaining here in WA, we get off our arses and find solutions..
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

caskur

The world survived two world wars, a depression, many recessions and guess what...? ? ? ?

we're still here breeding like rabbits without a care for tomorrow.

So what the economies don't recover tomorrow or in two years... maybe it'll be 3 to 4 but it will recover, that is a certainty.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

caskur

Quote from: seoulbro post_id=382754 time=1600545659 user_id=114
Caskur, you do realize that when a jurisdiction opens up after closing down completely, of course some people return to work.

Get your information from better sources SoulBro... Our mines made a 100 billion from 2019-2020.... I think 3 million of us won't go hungry.

[size=150]While WA has not given ground on the Morrison reopening agenda, what it has done has kept mining and exporting, with strong production through the June quarter and iron ore shipments cracking $100 billion in 2019-20.

Mining investment is also up for the past three quarters in one of the few bright spots for Treasurer Josh Frydenberg on Wednesday when he confirmed the country was in recession.

[size=150]Mr Morrison said WA was a special case and did not have to be part of his aspiration to have other intrastate movement restrictions lifted.[/size]

The special-cases status includes having no large border towns and a much bigger economy than the virtually virus-free Tasmania, South Australia and Northern Territory.

The Morrison government has also been stung in WA by its initial support for billionaire Clive Palmer in his High Court challenge to the state's border closure.

The Commonwealth eventually withdrew from the proceedings but not before WA Labor turned the blowtorch on Federal Attorney-General Christian Porter in his home state.

Mr McGowan, whose approval rating has soared to 91 per cent according to a recent poll, said he was in no rush to reopen the state's borders.

[size=150]"Western Australia has always avoided setting an arbitrary deadline on borders," he said. "A date will be set when our health advice recommends it, but that might be some time away.[/size]

"We went through this before and then Victoria happened. Opening and closing borders just causes more confusion and it isn't a good outcome for the state's economy.

"The Prime Minister and other states respect and understand our decision given the unique factors for WA and the very positive direction our economy is heading."

The peak resources lobby groups credit the hard border policy with allowing the sector to push through the pandemic.

[size=150]West Australians have benefited from the early lifting of restrictions and the state has gone 146 days without a case of community spread.

[/size]
- Andy Warhol

caskur

I'm going to make it my mission in life to make sure the conservatives on my continent never forget their ridiculous response to the virus and will be disposed of next election as deserved punishment....

Politics is full of drongos that need to retire... to Peru or somewhere!~
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Caskur, you do realize that when a jurisdiction opens up after closing down completely, of course some people return to work. But, still employment levels in WA are at seventy per cent of what they were pre pandemic. Your state and my province have not recovered all jobs lost due to enforced lock downs.  A lot of service jobs in your state and my province are gone for good thanks to hard lock downs. There is no economic argument for full quarantine.

The US added 1.4 million jobs last month, but they are no where near the jobs boom they had pre pandemic. No place will return to pre pandemic employment levels until all sectors of the economy(travel) are open. That won't happen until there is immunity. You only get immunity by everybody catching it and recovering(very risky) or mass inoculation.

Western countries made a tragic mistake by imposing hard lock downs..

Caskur's own example shows two months after the lifting of draconian measures, her state still doesn't have some sectors of the economy reopened....just like Alberta..

What a disaster lock downs have been.

caskur

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=382770 time=1600553952 user_id=3254

Caskur's own example shows two months after the lifting of draconian measures, her state still doesn't have some sectors of the economy reopened....just like Alberta..

that is completely false,

Alberta has a GDP of 71 billion a year, with just shy of 4.4 million population.

Western Australia has a GDP OF 190+ billion a year.

our population is around 2.6  million..... I'm pretty sure 190+ billion $$$

can support 2.6 million people with ease.
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: caskur post_id=382777 time=1600555857 user_id=2156

Alberta has a GDP of 71 billion a year, with just shy of 4.4 million population.

We know ur uneducated, but are you retarded too. If Alberta's annual GDP was only 71 billion, than our GDP/capita would be less than sixteen grand. Our GDP was $334.17 billion in 2019 or just under 75 grand.

However, none of this economy 101 for fat old imbeciles negates the fact that WA and Alberta have lost whole sectors of their economy that may never return due to lock downs.

Anonymous

Maybe old caskur confused Alberta with Albania. :laugh3:

Zetsu

Though similar but GDP isn't really the same thing as the income sum of a state, no offense caskur but you need to get your facts straight unless people can live by eating rocks.
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

Quote from: Zetsu post_id=382823 time=1600567899 user_id=61

Though similar but GDP isn't really the same thing as the income sum of a state, no offense caskur but you need to get your facts straight unless people can live by eating rocks.

Exactly, caskur has GDP so confused she thinks Alberta has the same GDP/capita as Panama.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQQcpF9ZNganJ40s6z1VktAGAWB7pnwF0uAng&usqp=CAU">

Zetsu

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=382830 time=1600568768 user_id=56

Exactly, caskur has GDP so confused she thinks Alberta has the same GDP/capita as Panama.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQQcpF9ZNganJ40s6z1VktAGAWB7pnwF0uAng&usqp=CAU">

Unless she uses her head this time, chances are she still won't get our point.
Permanently off his rocker

Anonymous

Quote from: Zetsu post_id=382833 time=1600569120 user_id=61
Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=382830 time=1600568768 user_id=56

Unless she uses her head this time, chances are she still won't get our point.

She won't.

Anonymous

I haven't heard any average working person cheer for lock downs. The only people that do are the civil service who continue to get paid, but don't have to work, lazy drunken assholes like Mel that get welfare not to work, and rich progs that don't need to work. Everybody else takes it in the ass.

caskur

Canada is down the shitter according to all your continual bitching and moaning, Western Australia is not. Our economy is strong, growing and our citizens alive and safe, covid-free and where it has slowed in areas, (which it does not) they would be rectified. We have over 190 + billion $ per year to devi up

I fucking LOVED the lock down when we had it but now the economy is back to work and driving is imposible with too many cars at peak hour, it's not pure bliss anymore driving around.

I'm sorry our WA success story appears to unhinge you all but there you have it.
- Andy Warhol