The best topic

Replies: 8456
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 03:49:33 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Dove

Subway is closing more stores in Australia

Started by Frood, February 16, 2022, 01:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

cc

The Target fiasco hurt us badly. Zellers central and handy, was our only local place, Target bought it (and other Zellers) then it & quickly decided Canada was not profitable for them & left .. The space is still empty
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

cw_

Sounds like the lack of choices will continue to get worse until something is done.  Do you think walmart`s  and other monopolies should be broken up?

cc

Quote from: cw_ post_id=439845 time=1645121633 user_id=3226
Sounds like the lack of choices will continue to get worse until something is done.  Do you think walmart`s  and other monopolies should be broken up?

Good point. I don't like Govt stepping into private business, but in most areas they are literally a monopoly  .. having chased out  many quality chains

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=439844 time=1645121527 user_id=88
The Target fiasco hurt us badly. Zellers central and handy, was our only local place, Target bought it (and other Zellers) then it & quickly decided Canada was not profitable for them & left .. The space is still empty

I miss Zellers..

I remember going into Target stores in Canada and seeing more empty space than products on shelves..

They couldn't get suppliers and they lost over one billion dollars.....I believe they replaced their CEO who lead the failed move into Canada.

cc

Yes, Zellers was good and our only Dept store at the time. While not considered by many as up to Sears, Bay etc. that was a bum wrap, as  they carried good items. They were smaller and that was actually a plus

cw_

Quote from: cc post_id=439847 time=1645121763 user_id=88
Quote from: cw_ post_id=439845 time=1645121633 user_id=3226

Good point. I don't like Govt stepping into private business, but in most areas they are literally a monopoly  .. having chased out  many quality chains

Yep.  Seems to me that when people are unable to vote with their feet, it's a monopoly.

cc

"unable to vote with their feet" is a good way to put it

Anonymous

Quote from: Fashionista post_id=439835 time=1645112340 user_id=3254
Quote from: cw_ post_id=439825 time=1645086495 user_id=3226
Ack!  711.  I'd put coffee in a thermos before I'd drive 25 to spend money there.  

Corporations will win of course due to this lack of choice and someday taco bell will be the only restaurant just like in the movie demolition man.

Even within big chains there is less competition..

We used to have Zellers, K-Mart, Woolworth's, Bargain Harold's among others.....they are all gone now..

Even Target couldn't survive in Canada because Walmart wouldn't share suppliers..

For retailing we have Walmart with Canadian Tire and Real Canadian Superstore trying to act as competition.

I would like to support locally owned and operated businesses for all our purchases. But, they are more expensive.

And what is with the lack of retail competition in Canada. With electronics it's Best Buy with like eighty percent market share.

cc

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=439858 time=1645126160 user_id=2015

And what is with the lack of retail competition in Canada. With electronics it's Best Buy with like eighty percent market share.

I didn't know that. They did buy up several competitors not all that long ago for sure

They got one that I was a lot more comfortable dealing with a while ago  .. . gobbled & gone  >>>>>>>

Bricktop

Another American corporation destroying local businesses.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=439858 time=1645126160 user_id=2015
Quote from: Fashionista post_id=439835 time=1645112340 user_id=3254
Quote from: cw_ post_id=439825 time=1645086495 user_id=3226
Ack!  711.  I'd put coffee in a thermos before I'd drive 25 to spend money there.  

Corporations will win of course due to this lack of choice and someday taco bell will be the only restaurant just like in the movie demolition man.

Even within big chains there is less competition..

We used to have Zellers, K-Mart, Woolworth's, Bargain Harold's among others.....they are all gone now..

Even Target couldn't survive in Canada because Walmart wouldn't share suppliers..

For retailing we have Walmart with Canadian Tire and Real Canadian Superstore trying to act as competition.

I would like to support locally owned and operated businesses for all our purchases. But, they are more expensive.

Best Buy bought out Future Shop. We still have Visions. Their prices are higher than Best Buy.

Anonymous

Quote from: cw_ post_id=439816 time=1645076623 user_id=3226
Quote from: Odinson post_id=439813 time=1645075994 user_id=136

My biggest problem is that these chains dont use local suppliers.

Good point.  People should support local business and stop buying from big corporations.  No walmart or amazon either.  Vote with your feet.

Spoken like a true out of touch white libtard.

Why don't you buy an electric vehicle while you're at it. African villages may not be crazy about the heavy metal pollution from mining for rare earth metals, but they'll have the satisfaction of knowing they helped a white liberal with their virtue signalling.

cc

Quote from: Herman post_id=439907 time=1645139926 user_id=1689
Best Buy bought out Future Shop. We still have Visions. Their prices are higher than Best Buy.

Future Shop .. where I got this computer and lots else

Couldn't think of the name .. thanks Herm

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li" post_id=439980 time=1645162346 user_id=56
Quote from: cw_ post_id=439816 time=1645076623 user_id=3226
Quote from: Odinson post_id=439813 time=1645075994 user_id=136

My biggest problem is that these chains dont use local suppliers.

Good point.  People should support local business and stop buying from big corporations.  No walmart or amazon either.  Vote with your feet.

Spoken like a true out of touch white libtard.

Why don't you buy an electric vehicle while you're at it. African villages may not be crazy about the heavy metal pollution from mining for rare earth metals, but they'll have the satisfaction of knowing they helped a white liberal with their virtue signalling.

Gosh Shen, she was just saying she likes to support locally owned and operated businesses.

cw_