The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Sexist Police Won't Charge Dalhousie Dentistry Students

Started by Lance Leftardashian, January 17, 2015, 05:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Lance Leftardashian

Halifax Regional Police have reviewed material provided by Dalhousie University connected with the school dentistry scandal and decided not to launch a criminal investigation.

The scandal concerns misogynistic Facebook posts targeting female Dalhousie dentistry students.

Police tried to establish if any of the posts on the Class of DDS 2015 Gentlemen Facebook group contravened the Criminal Code. They found the posts did not violate the code, Const. Pierre Bourdages said Thursday.

In one of the posts in the group, male students voted on which female classmate they'd like to have "hate" sex with and joked about using chloroform on women. In another post, a woman was shown in a bikini with the caption, "Bang until stress is relieved or unconscious."

On Wednesday, police received a package of documents from the university and reviewed it. They did not see anything that suggested a crime had occurred.

On Tuesday, Const. Bourdages had said the university declined to release the information to police. That evening, a university spokesperson said there was a "misunderstanding" and that the university would co-operate with police.
I care, you pay

RW

Yes because no crime was committed.  That's not sexist.  That's reality.  Now maybe Romero will get it through his fat head that no threats of rape or violence were uttered.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"Yes because no crime was committed.  That's not sexist.  That's reality.  Now maybe Romero will get it through his fat head that no threats of rape or violence were uttered.

I haven't been following it that closely, but it seems those guys were tried and convicted in the court of public opinion only. If they broke no rules and no laws, how can the university not allow them to graduate? The barred students could sue Dalhousie.

cc

Quote from: "Real Woman" Now maybe Romero will get it through his fat head that no threats of rape or violence were uttered.
Don't bet the farm on that
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

RW

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Real Woman"Yes because no crime was committed.  That's not sexist.  That's reality.  Now maybe Romero will get it through his fat head that no threats of rape or violence were uttered.

I haven't been following it that closely, but it seems those guys were tried and convicted in the court of public opinion only. If they broke no rules and no laws, how can the university not allow them to graduate? The barred students could sue Dalhousie.

Frankly, they should sue Dalhousie.  If I was a lawyer, I would take their case pro bono publico.

I think it's time we stopped allowing invasions to our private communications as if it is in some way warranted because we post on Facebook.  Not all social media is designed to share our thoughts with the world and when there are checks in place that prevent such sharing like PRIVATE/invite only Facebook groups, that privacy should be protected.  Even on our walls, it is generally limited to a select audience.  If you are not a member of the audience, you have no right to act on the information you may come across that does not cross existing legal bounds.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "cc li tarte"
Quote from: "Real Woman" Now maybe Romero will get it through his fat head that no threats of rape or violence were uttered.
Don't bet the farm on that

I wouldn't bet a wooden nickle on it.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"Frankly, they should sue Dalhousie.  If I was a lawyer, I would take their case pro bono publico.

I think it's time we stopped allowing invasions to our private communications as if it is in some way warranted because we post on Facebook.  Not all social media is designed to share our thoughts with the world and when there are checks in place that prevent such sharing like PRIVATE/invite only Facebook groups, that privacy should be protected.  Even on our walls, it is generally limited to a select audience.  If you are not a member of the audience, you have no right to act on the information you may come across that does not cross existing legal bounds.

The more I know about it this case, the more I see how the university really fucked this up.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"

Frankly, they should sue Dalhousie.  If I was a lawyer, I would take their case pro bono publico.

Real Woman, what I heard about this it lead to me believe this group of boys made threats of rape using sleeping drugs..

It would now seem it didn't happen like that.

ac_unsure

RW

No they made jokes and comments to each other.  No threats were made just tasteless commentary in a private group.

This case has been so distorted I can't stand it.  I actually give big credit to militant feminist bullshit.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"No they made jokes and comments to each other.  No threats were made just tasteless commentary in a private group.

This case has been so distorted I can't stand it.  I actually give big credit to militant feminist bullshit.

Ya have to admit it gave the media sex appeal that sells. It should never have gotten this kind of attention.

RW

Quote from: "Real Woman"No they made jokes and comments to each other.  No threats were made just tasteless commentary in a private group.

Ya have to admit it gave the media sex appeal that sells. It should never have gotten this kind of attention.

I fully agree.  It was a minor issue that became some poster case for misogyny.

Thanks for nothing feminism.   ac_rollseyes
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"

I fully agree.  It was a minor issue that became some poster case for misogyny.

Thanks for nothing feminism.   ac_rollseyes

You can't blame people for believing it was a lot more serious than it actually was. They heard/read a headline and draw their own conclusions based solely on that alone. Details not required.

RW

Yes, actually I can.  It's called literacy and the vast majority of Canadians possess a shred of it.  If you get your opinions from news headlines and editorials, you should be smacked.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"Yes, actually I can.  It's called literacy and the vast majority of Canadians possess a shred of it.  If you get your opinions from news headlines and editorials, you should be smacked.

I am a little bit embarrassed about it, but I am one of those people in the majority.

ac_blush

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"Yes, actually I can.  It's called literacy and the vast majority of Canadians possess a shred of it.  If you get your opinions from news headlines and editorials, you should be smacked.

Name an issue from involvement in the Middle East to environment to taxes to criminal justice to aboriginal affairs and I'd say most people form their opinions from highly biased editorials and headlines. Yes, it's lazy, but that's just the age we live in.