The best topic

Replies: 10492
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:18:09 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

What's Cooking?

Started by @realAzhyaAryola, February 22, 2015, 11:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 7 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Blazor

Quote from: "Odinson"Do you use a timer in the kitchen or do you just take the food out based on looks?

I do both, I use a timer as to not forget, and I also base things on aroma and looks.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Spiral noodles in a garlic pesto sauce with a spinach, orange, cranberry and almond salad for supper....and it's not even meatless Monday.

:laugh:

Blazor

Quote from: "Fashionista"Spiral noodles in a garlic pesto sauce with a spinach, orange, cranberry and almond salad for supper....and it's not even meatless Monday.

:laugh:

That dont sound bad. Im having a couple bunless chicken patties and a salad as well. Prolly the last bit of squash and green tomato from my meal prep.

Last night I had grilled tuna and a veggie and rice steamer.

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"
Quote from: "Berry Sweet"Split pea soup.  It will be ready in an hour.

Did you use a ham hock?

No.  I made it vegetarian style...altho I did cheat and use some chicken broth...im not 100% vegetarian but I limit my meat.

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Odinson"Do you use a timer in the kitchen or do you just take the food out based on looks?

I do both.  

Technically I know just by looking...but I get distracted often and forget so I always put a timer on just incase.

Frood

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"
Quote from: "Berry Sweet"Split pea soup.  It will be ready in an hour.

Did you use a ham hock?

No.  I made it vegetarian style...altho I did cheat and use some chicken broth...im not 100% vegetarian but I limit my meat.

There's not a lot of meat on a ham hock. It's traditional to use the hock to add a smokey flavour to the split pea soup. Basically a smoked bone.
Blahhhhhh...

Blazor

There's not a lot of meat on a ham hock. It's traditional to use the hock to add a smokey flavour to the split pea soup. Basically a smoked bone.

You're right, its the bone that gives it flavor. If I use a hock, I add some country ham trimmings to some beans. Normally I leave some meat with the bone off a baked ham for that though.

Blazor

So, I got creative, saw 4 pieces of bacon left, so I took 2 chicken patties, put the slices of bacon and some BBQ sauce in between them, and went to town lol. So good! I had a small salad, some squash, and a slice of green tomato with it.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"There's not a lot of meat on a ham hock. It's traditional to use the hock to add a smokey flavour to the split pea soup. Basically a smoked bone.

My Grandmother would occasionally prepare meals using ham hock.  It's a shit cut of meat, with nothing hardly but bone, but these 'peasant cuts' somehow remained popular due to tradition.  Haggis is a similar example of this...

Schweinshaxe is an example of this that's still popular today with some Krauts.

Frood

Quote from: "Angry White Male"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"There's not a lot of meat on a ham hock. It's traditional to use the hock to add a smokey flavour to the split pea soup. Basically a smoked bone.

My Grandmother would occasionally prepare meals using ham hock.  It's a shit cut of meat, with nothing hardly but bone, but these 'peasant cuts' somehow remained popular due to tradition.  Haggis is a similar example of this...

Schweinshaxe is an example of this that's still popular today with some Krauts.

It's not really even a cut of meat. Just a bone, often from near the trotters, with a small amount of flesh and skin on them which dries out in the smoking process and absorbs the scent along with the bone.

It's a resourceful item great for stews and soups
Blahhhhhh...

Frood

I'm staying in tonight and the entire family is away at some religious church camp, so since I'm agnostic and they all don't like steak, that's what I'm having. A grilled steak and some veggies.

Bliss!
Blahhhhhh...

Angry White Male

Bible camp?  What the fuck?

I'd have a steak too, and make sure they know about that also, and your ungodly ways.

Frood

Quote from: "Angry White Male"Bible camp?  What the fuck?

I'd have a steak too, and make sure they know about that also, and your ungodly ways.

It's more a social thing for the grandfather. He's been going for decades with other families and everybody seems to still have a good outing even with the prayer aspect, which really irks me, so I don't go.

Other than the blessings before meals and distinct lack of profanity throughout, it's just a normal once a year getaway to catch up with all the generations and do outdoorsy stuff like hiking, cooking on open fires, and freezing arses off in the mountains.

It's good for my family but something I always have a rock solid excuse for why I can't go again.

Plus it's a chance to get my steak on!!!  ac_dance
Blahhhhhh...

Odinson

@realAzhyaAryola

Crispy baked chicken thighs.

https://s3-us-east-2.amazonaws.com/thesaltymarshmallow/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/31141914/crispy-baked-chicken-thighs3.jpg">
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]