News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Could humidity power join the list of renewable energy sources?

Started by easter bunny, June 16, 2015, 10:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

easter bunny

QuoteOzgur Sahin, Ph.D., believes that water evaporation is the largest power source in nature. In an effort to demonstrate the potential of this untapped resource, Sahin and his fellow researchers have created prototype electrical generators with rubber sheets that move in response to changes in humidity thanks to a coating of bacterial spores.
QuotePowerful indeed. Sahin discovered that the flexible, spore-coated plank could generate 1,000 times as much force as human muscle when the humidity was increased from that of a dry, sunny day to a humid, misty day – this is 10 times greater than materials currently used to build actuators. Sahin also calculated that moistening 1 lb (0.45 kg) of dry spores would generate enough force to lift a car 3.2 ft (1 m) off the ground.
QuoteThe researchers believe the technology will one day make it possible to have electrical generators driven by changes in humidity from sun-warmed ponds and harbors.

http://www.gizmag.com/bacterial-spore-humidity-powered-electrical-generator/30625/">full story

http://images.gizmag.com/hero/humidity-generator.jpg">

">https://vimeo.com/85151102

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

easter bunny

No idea. I just heard about it so I thought I'd post it. Seems like it has a lot of potential.

RW

A lot of things have and had potential.  Cost is a factor.
Beware of Gaslighters!

easter bunny

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"A lot of things have and had potential.  Cost is a factor.

Yes, it is. Along with reliability/deliverability.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"This is true. How much do bacteria cost? =P

How much does wind cost? It is more than natural gas though.

easter bunny

Quote from: "RW"Depends on the bacteria.

We'll go for the cheapest ones. =P

easter bunny

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Wind is kind of unpredictable though. I wonder, if you were to put enough of these things on boats in the south Atlantic, maybe they could soak up enough energy to reduce the power of hurricanes. That might just cover the cost.

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"

Will they work. Look come see us in a few years after you have some deliverability results to boast of. Far too early for any of us to comment meaningfully.

Anonymous

Wind is kind of unpredictable though. I wonder, if you were to put enough of these things on boats in the south Atlantic, maybe they could soak up enough energy to reduce the power of hurricanes. That might just cover the cost.

Go to Pincher Creek some time. Most of the people would like nothing better than to see all those turbines on boats in the South Atlantic than in their back yards.

easter bunny

Will they work. Look come see us in a few years after you have some deliverability results to boast of. Far too early for any of us to comment meaningfully.

Damn rights they'll work. And for free too. No unions or minimum wages! hahaha

Anonymous

Damn rights they'll work. And for free too. No unions or minimum wages! hahaha

I am glad you have faith in it, but so far it is a prototype/idea at best. As for free, on what planet?

easter bunny

Go to Pincher Creek some time. Most of the people would like nothing better than to see all those turbines on boats in the South Atlantic than in their back yards.

Those turbines are not particularly pleasing to the eye, I'll admit. Birds don't like them either. And then there's the RF noise from the generators. I hear that some people get headaches. It would be nice to have something else.