News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Is it fair for women in the workplace to use maternity leave every 1-2 years?

Started by Frood, August 11, 2015, 10:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "cc la femme"Does anyone realize that companies now have to compete with cheap foreign goods ? Adding more cost => less sales => less jobs for people who need them, of course including jobs for those raising a family and want to pay their way.

Oh yes, let's please be more "competitive" with foreign sweatshops. Live the dream!

I must admit, if you are anything, it would be "consistent"
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

cc

In Canada, EI pays a percentage of an employee's wages while on leave.
Thanks. I'm not up to speed on it.

OK, so bottom line, we are paying for other's choice to have a baby.

Say, did you notice my last post on "attachments"? - bottom of killer of 8 thread

Romero

People can get EI, vacation pay, leave of absence, worker's compensation, sick pay, pension... we all put in and we all get to benefit.

Why the heck wouldn't looking after a kid at the start of its life be just as important?

cc

Depending  upon length of time and frequency (i.e. taking far more out than putting in), others can in effect be paying

The OP = Is it fair for women in the workplace to use maternity leave every 1-2 years?

Seems a setup for wannabe baby factories and / or wannabe system-dependents to take advantage of. Are  there any regs that set limits to protect against abuse?

Anonymous

If a man or woman were applying for a job and they said they planned on returning to the classroom for some courses, would that be a deterrent to their selection? No, in fact a company would like a person who took the initiative to improve themselves on their own. Now, if the same candidate said they would need 18 months out of the next three years away from work, would that move a top vc to the bottom? You can count on it. It's no different for a bright young candidate that tells you they want to start or grow their family.

cc

As an employer most of my life, I can say that it sure would be / has been a part of my hiring decisions

Company survival has to be #1. If a company fails the owner  and any employees will not get anything from it

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"As an employer most of my life, I can say that it sure would be / has been a part of my hiring decisions

Company survival has to be #1. If a company fails the owner  nor any employee will not get anything from it

Amen my sister. I have worked as an employer of contract workers and equipment most of my life. It's not important and none of my business for what I hire for what they want to do something besides work for a year or more. I think anyone with those kind of personal or educational ambitions should look for contract positions. Their absence creates too many headaches for their employers.

cc

We have always used "by contract" wherever possible.

Even my mate's # 1 son, an extremely capable project manager worked by preset amount contract during periods away from University. He like it and so did we .... mutually beneficial. A couple of other regular sub bosses working under him also worked as contractors,

Contracting does help against  our govt's make businesses pay for everything mentality

That is back when we did construction projects - Now, we only do software but all programmers work as private contractors vs. as emplyee

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"We have always used "by contract" wherever possible.

Even my mate's # 1 son, an extremely capable project manager, worked by preset amount contract during periods away from University. He like it and so did we .... mutually beneficial

Contracting does help against  our govt's make businesses pay for everything mentality

That is back when we did construction projects - Now, we only do software but all programmers work as private contractors vs. as emplyee

I'm glad your step-son was wise enough to know contract work fit what he wanted to do. I hire only contract employees. They on the other hand may or may not be full time employees of their contract company.

I don't understand why someone who wants to be away from work would apply for a full time company position? It's not fair to the company and it's employees who have to pick up the slack.

cc

It really worked for him. He was good and knew how long a project would take him to complete and was secure knowing he would have x amount to pay for  his next semester.

We paid all individuals who contracted an amount considerably larger than they would have made if hourly - and they were responsible for fixing any flaws .. and of course made sure the projects were done efficiently and fast.

It worked well for all concerned

Romero

Quote from: "cc la femme"Depending  upon length of time and frequency (i.e. taking far more out than putting in), others can in effect be paying

The OP = Is it fair for women in the workplace to use maternity leave every 1-2 years?

Seems a setup for wannabe baby factories and / or wannabe system-dependents to take advantage of. Are  there any regs that set limits to protect against abuse?

Rarely happens. In fact, women are having way less children today. The birth rate is half of what it was in the 1950s. There are more one-child families today than ever.

I can't believe I have to tell a woman that women aren't baby factories. Are you a baby factory? How many baby factories have you ever known? Like barely any?

cc

OK. I see what is happening now. We are talking about  2 very different worlds

In your  Lalaland world everything is roses and unicorns ... in fact, it always appears to be exactly as you "wish it" to be .. where to yourself everything is exactly as you "say" it is.

Most of us live the real world that  is what it is

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "cc la femme"Depending  upon length of time and frequency (i.e. taking far more out than putting in), others can in effect be paying

Rarely happens. In fact, women are having way less children today. The birth rate is half of what it was in the 1950s. There are more one-child families today than ever.

I can't believe I have to tell a woman that women aren't baby factories. Are you a baby factory? How many baby factories have you ever known? Like barely any?

Excuse me, but you are wrecking this thread by being a dishonest asshole just like you and your friends did the abortion one. Ms cc la femme and I hire people. As employers, we are of the same mind. We will do what is best for the organization. If I was to hire full time, I would ask probing questions to find out what if they plan on being around as much as I needed them. Anything that takes them away from the job for extended periods of time for any reason makes them an undesirable candidate. If someone wants to work, but doesn't want the responsibility of a full time job, for christ's sake get a contract job that fits the lifestyle.

PS. apologize to cc la femme liar.

Romero

Nevar!!1

I've been in charge of hiring. Not once did a woman I hired disappear to become an Oprah-watching baby factory.

Women aren't baby factories. The birth rate is half of what it was in the 1950s. There are more one-child families today than ever.

Those aren't lies. How many baby factories have you ever known of? Are you drowning in babies right now?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"Nevar!!1

I've been in charge of hiring. Not once did a woman I hired disappear to become an Oprah-watching baby factory.

Women aren't baby factories. The birth rate is half of what it was in the 1950s. There are more one-child families today than ever.

Those aren't lies. How many baby factories have you ever known of? Are you drowning in babies right now?

I didn't think you would. I never expected you to show any strength of character.

We are talking about whether employees who want extended leaves should be hired or should they themselves consider full time work. Alright, you go derail a good discussion.

But, I will ask you this--what benefit to your company is a worker wants to leave the company for extended periods of time for whatever reason? Who will step up and do their job when the person they are replacing  is away? How do you think this will affect the morale of the employees who never take extended periods of time away from work when they MIA employee returns? if the MIA employee returns, ask these questions all over again. The most important question is why oh why would someone who does not want the responsibility of full time job applying for one?