The best topic

Replies: 7558
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 02:57:00 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by reaps the honest

Is it fair for women in the workplace to use maternity leave every 1-2 years?

Started by Frood, August 11, 2015, 10:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frood

A male coworker was having a gripe today because he's been forced to cover for a female coworker who is about to use many months of further maternity leave for the second time in two years. The kicker is that both of them went for the position when it was advertised a few years ago and she was narrowly successful over him, but she's seldom around and he has to pick up the pieces. Then she returns and he gets demoted again, in effect.

He believes it's sexism since our employer has a very pro female advancement policy or activism, and he may be right. I'm a bit torn on this. If someone wants to cough up children, they probably should just leave but on the other hand, having a child shouldn't be the end of someone's career either.

If someone isn't present to do the job, should they be retained at their former position level when they return, offered another position, or just let go?

My coworker and his spouse don't have children nor want them, and they're career oriented. How is Ms. Baby Machine's behaviour fair to either of them?
Blahhhhhh...

J0E

Of course its reverse sexism.

If I make a choice to go on an extended vacation after taking a leave of absence for six to twelve monthsc, should I get my job back? Of course not. People make choices in life, and with every choice, there is a sacrifice.

But in this case, she gets her cake and is allowed to eat it.

Actually, if your workplace allows for frequent mat leave, then the guy in your workplace should get the job of the woman if she wants to go on leave all the time, and she should get demoted.

Frood

As far as I know, it's also acceptable under law and I doubt any employer in Australia would have the gumption to say that a woman couldn't have back to back children and keep her job. The nutty feminists would have a field day with that in the media.
Blahhhhhh...

RW

A woman shouldn't be penalized because she is the gender who has a baby.

Here in Canada, a man can take parental leave instead of a woman.  A woman is the only one able to take pregnancy leave.  A person cannot be fired for taking leave under both our employment law and our human rights code.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Frood

Quote from: "RW"A woman shouldn't be penalized because she is the gender who has a baby.

Here in Canada, a man can take parental leave instead of a woman.  A woman is the only one able to take pregnancy leave.  A person cannot be fired for taking leave under both our employment law and our human rights code.

I'm all for that but have to wonder if it's not musical chairs and one gender has it over the other gender should they want to control the chairs with their pregnancies in quick bursts.

Imagine if this female coworker has a third or fourth child over the next 2-2 and a half years? Think of the poor guy who does her job in the meantime but got passed over for advancement before she even had her first?

If he's good enough to do her job while she's mostly gone, why didn't he get the job right from the start? If she's always gone, why does she keep her job? If he sticks around when she doesn't, why isn't he advanced above her?

When did employment become a charity basket case?
Blahhhhhh...

RW

So you think a woman should be punished in her career because she has to step out to have a baby?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"A male coworker was having a gripe today because he's been forced to cover for a female coworker who is about to use many months of further maternity leave for the second time in two years. The kicker is that both of them went for the position when it was advertised a few years ago and she was narrowly successful over him, but she's seldom around and he has to pick up the pieces. Then she returns and he gets demoted again, in effect.

He believes it's sexism since our employer has a very pro female advancement policy or activism, and he may be right. I'm a bit torn on this. If someone wants to cough up children, they probably should just leave but on the other hand, having a child shouldn't be the end of someone's career either.

If someone isn't present to do the job, should they be retained at their former position level when they return, offered another position, or just let go?

My coworker and his spouse don't have children nor want them, and they're career oriented. How is Ms. Baby Machine's behaviour fair to either of them?

What happened to "family values"? Isn't having children the most important thing for the human race? Isn't it best for parents to bond with their children?

In Canada, fathers can take maternity leave as well.

RW

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"A male coworker was having a gripe today because he's been forced to cover for a female coworker who is about to use many months of further maternity leave for the second time in two years. The kicker is that both of them went for the position when it was advertised a few years ago and she was narrowly successful over him, but she's seldom around and he has to pick up the pieces. Then she returns and he gets demoted again, in effect.

What happened to "family values"? Isn't having children the most important thing for the human race? Isn't it best for parents to bond with their children?

Fathers cannot take "maternity leave" which is called "pregnancy leave" in some provinces.  They can take "parental leave".
Beware of Gaslighters!

Frood

Quote from: "RW"So you think a woman should be punished in her career because she has to step out to have a baby?

Rare baby, fine.

Repetitive back to back babies, she's chosen a contradictory occupation to a career and needs to understand that her decisions are not conducive to her continued employment.

Quote from: "Romero"

So you're fine with women who take the full maternity leave back to back between one child birthed and the next one quickly conceived? What's the point of running a business if someone uses their reproductive anatomy to only show up for portions of multiple years?

I'm not talking about the measured conception and birth of a child. I'm talking about baby machines who use the law to screw over men and women all around them in their workplaces.
Blahhhhhh...

RW

Oh yes.  I'm sure that's what people do - pop out babies for time off work.  

In Canada, to receive paid leave, you have to work a certain number of weeks to receive full benefits.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"So you're fine with women who take the full maternity leave back to back between one child birthed and the next one quickly conceived? What's the point of running a business if someone uses their reproductive anatomy to only show up for portions of multiple years?

I'm not talking about the measured conception and birth of a child. I'm talking about baby machines who use the law to screw over men and women all around them in their workplaces.

Because being pregnant for nine months, going through labour and looking after a child for eighteen years is such an easy way to screw over coworkers. So that's why women have kids! They're so lazy! Any excuse to get out of some real work!

And how are the coworkers "screwed over"? Why, they have to show up for work just like they have to anyway!

Looking after a newborn is kind of important. Accounts receivable will make do somehow. Some families have a few kids. It's not like most women are having six babies in a row just to get out of work. I've been working with women for thirty years and I can't even recall a single time any of them have gone on maternity leave. There are more workers taking more days off to go golfing.

Wulf

Quote from: "RW"Oh yes.  I'm sure that's what people do - pop out babies for time off work.  

In Canada, to receive paid leave, you have to work a certain number of weeks to receive full benefits.

Same in the US and it is a limited number of weeks that she can receive full salary. Anything beyond the stipulate time frame and the pregnant woman must apply for disability which pays out only a percentage of her salary.  Also the job she leaves doesn't necessarily have to be the job she returns to. All the law stipulates is it has to be "a job".

I'm wondering just how many women actually go out on maternity leave, come back and then work for year and then go out again. With the logistical problems of balancing a career and raising kids and the expense involved, it doesn't sound like something that happens with great enough frequency to bitch about.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"You must all be leftists, like the baby machine.

I had two babies at once so I'd only have to take one leave.  That sounds downright Conservative to me.
Beware of Gaslighters!