Replies: 10548
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 02:15:04 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Money Sense

Started by Anonymous, August 20, 2015, 08:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Good stuff Fash. No matter what any bankers or advisers  etc. say, I'm leery of making a move on indexed items . .especially US.

And with the election here, I'm leery of Canadian market.

Not playing "expert", just logic and a gut feeling that keeps saying "be careful... many are overpriced and the world is not stable now"

People are reducing their risk exposure a little bit because nobody really knows. There are fears of an American rate hike in September. We can still expect to see some significant drops in the market until we get some direction from the Fed regarding a rate increase.

Anonymous

The TSX was flat losing less than six points..

But oil was up $3.98 to close at $49.20 with energy stocks doing very well.

cc

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-31/u-s-futures-signal-more-losses-with-markets-bruised-by-selloff">Bloomberg Today - US - Stocks Lead Selloff in Riskier Assets as Oil Falls, Bonds Rally

September began where August left off in financial markets, with U.S. stocks suffering losses that rank with the worst of the last 11 months amid fresh signs China's slowdown is hampering global growth. Gold and Treasuries rallied.

The selloff in risk assets around the world resumed Tuesday after one of the most volatile trading periods since the financial crisis erased $5.7 trillion from the value of global equities last month.

U.S. stocks suffered their second-biggest losses of 2015 after data showed manufacturing expansion slowed amid anemic demand from emerging markets, adding to concern that weakness in China is spreading.

Up a bit last cpl of hours (down 2 1/2 on TSX & DOW as of 2pm trading time), we shall see what is next- In any regard, "volatility" is the keyword
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-31/u-s-futures-signal-more-losses-with-markets-bruised-by-selloff">Bloomberg Today - US - Stocks Lead Selloff in Riskier Assets as Oil Falls, Bonds Rally

September began where August left off in financial markets, with U.S. stocks suffering losses that rank with the worst of the last 11 months amid fresh signs China's slowdown is hampering global growth. Gold and Treasuries rallied.

The selloff in risk assets around the world resumed Tuesday after one of the most volatile trading periods since the financial crisis erased $5.7 trillion from the value of global equities last month.

U.S. stocks suffered their second-biggest losses of 2015 after data showed manufacturing expansion slowed amid anemic demand from emerging markets, adding to concern that weakness in China is spreading.

Up a bit last cpl of hours (down 2 1/2 on TSX & DOW as of 2pm trading time), we shall see what is next- In any regard, "volatility" is the keyword

:sad:

Anonymous

Besides American stocks being overvalued, we are seeing some weakness in US economic vital signs beyond housing and one other industry. Low oil prices are no longer a boon that they once were. The Chinese are still sticking with that symbolic 7 percent GDP figure. Lower than expected factory orders and reduced infrastructure spending which was giving the cosmetic appearance of higher than normal growth has been scaled back. None of this bodes well for the markets of course.

J0E

So how long do you think this economic malaise will last?

Is it a temporary blip or are we headed for long term slowdown?

How long before the Chinese and others embark upon spending and economic expansion again.

What factors are holding China back?

Quote from: "seoulbro"Besides American stocks being overvalued, we are seeing some weakness in US economic vital signs beyond housing and one other industry. Low oil prices are no longer a boon that they once were. The Chinese are still sticking with that symbolic 7 percent GDP figure. Lower than expected factory orders and reduced infrastructure spending which was giving the cosmetic appearance of higher than normal growth has been scaled back. None of this bodes well for the markets of course.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Frank"So how long do you think this economic malaise will last?

Is it a temporary blip or are we headed for long term slowdown?

How long before the Chinese and others embark upon spending and economic expansion again.

What factors are holding China back?

Quote from: "seoulbro"Besides American stocks being overvalued, we are seeing some weakness in US economic vital signs beyond housing and one other industry. Low oil prices are no longer a boon that they once were. The Chinese are still sticking with that symbolic 7 percent GDP figure. Lower than expected factory orders and reduced infrastructure spending which was giving the cosmetic appearance of higher than normal growth has been scaled back. None of this bodes well for the markets of course.

I believe the days of continued explosive growth for China are over. They have been stimulating the economy with massive infrastructure spending for years. They don't have a lot of room to keep forwarding often unneeded capital projects that are riddled with corruption and fraud. Factory orders are down too in China as wages continue to grow. China will transition to a consumer economy. The problem with that is the Chinese are notoriously frugal. Their government needs them to part with their savings. Not an easy thing to do when people do not have confidence in the economy.

Anonymous

The Toronto and New York indexes both had double digit gains yesterday as oil and copper traded higher.

Anonymous

I read a prediction that oil could fall as low as $20 per barrel..

Of course the TSX had a bad day because of that..

With China's slowing economy it may be tough for investing for a few years.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"I read a prediction that oil could fall as low as $20 per barrel..

Of course the TSX had a bad day because of that..

With China's slowing economy it may be tough for investing for a few years.

I expect an extended period low prices. You can count on a lot of ups and downs for a while because of the slowing in China. But, oil prices that low would take a lot of production off the market and drive prices up.

cc

Not trying to play Day Traders, just that things had a bad feel / vibes a while back - so we bailed before prices came down and intend to sit on it until the election is behind us and things worldwide look more stable.

If NDP or even Libs win and prices fall more, might be a time to think about buying back in? ... while keeping in mind that  China may keep things unstable
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"Not trying to play Day Traders, just that things had a bad feel / vibes a while back - so we bailed before prices came down and intend to sit on it until the election is behind us and things worldwide look more stable.

If NDP or even Libs win and prices fall more, might be a time to think about buying back in? ... while keeping in mind that  China may keep things unstable

I don't look at my portfolio online everyday. I know the news has not been good for a while. And I don't see a turnaround in the near future.

Anonymous

Another bad day for our investments yesterday..

I saw on the news that the markets are waiting to see if the USA raises interest rates or not.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"Another bad day for our investments yesterday..

I saw on the news that the markets are waiting to see if the USA raises interest rates or not.

The Fed left interest rates alone.

Anonymous

The Fed didn't raise interest rates, so money is fluid right now. Big gains yesterday and bigger losses today.