The best topic

Replies: 8392
Total votes: : 3

Last post: June 30, 2024, 10:21:37 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

The U.S. is not my favourite place.

Started by RW, August 22, 2015, 03:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

RW

I don't think badly of you at all Azhya.  I'm curious as to when you're going to let go of this bitch shtick you've got going on but aside from that, I think you're great.  I doubt you think the same of me and I'm okay with that.
Beware of Gaslighters!

@realAzhyaAryola

What? You did not know that I'm a bitch? :laugh3: I know myself. I'm not great. If I were great, my name will be on headlines, eh? I'm just another human being who works hard, tries to stay out of trouble, tries to stay humble, I care for those I love, look after my health, and I like to enjoy life while I can and weather all storms that come my way.

You're okay too, RW, especially when you don't join Spectre in ganging up against me. :laugh:
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

RW

I guess I just remember a different you and I miss her.  I'm not used to a bitchier version.  Don't get me wrong, I adore you either way.

I wasn't ganging up :P. I just made a point about computers.  I am a closet nerd after all.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Well against my better judgement, I'm going to step in and take issue with Spectre's assertion that the TV wasn't a US invention. The fact is Philo Farnsworth, a US citizen, born in Utah, was responsible for pioneering the first ALL ELECTRIC TV that could receive a live image. It is the basis for all the TV's and monitors we use today. A lot of inventors before him, going all they way back into the 19th century, invented machines similar to the TV but they were either fully mechanical or electro-mechanical and they weren't what we would consider a real TV. They were basically static image generators and nothing more. Farnsworth also started the first company to commercially offer TVs to the general public but production was limited because of legal battles with RCA. Eventually "Farnsworth Radio and Television" was purchased by ITT in 1951.

Here is some links to some timelines showing inventions pioneered in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_inventions">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_ ... inventions">https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_United_States_inventions

I know it is wiki article but it is backed by credible external references.

There is stuff listed there that you never even give a second thought to but we use everyday. Now I'm not saying that the US has cornered the market on inventing shit because we we haven't. But it's hard not to see and admit that we have had more than our share of success at it.

BTW, I don't know if we can take credit for the image below but it certainly looks American enough. Too bad they only come in children's sizes; it would make a great birthday gift for someone here.

http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.13450840.4212/fig,heather_grey,kids_tee,ffffff.2u8.jpg">
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Bricktop

Well, I do not wish to imply that you are incorrect, but Wiki has this to say;

"By the 1920s, when amplification made television practical, Scottish inventor John Logie Baird employed the Nipkow disk in his prototype video systems. On 25 March 1925, Baird gave the first public demonstration of televised silhouette images in motion, at Selfridge's Department Store in London.[16] Since human faces had inadequate contrast to show up on his primitive system, he televised a ventriloquist's dummy named "Stooky Bill" talking and moving, whose painted face had higher contrast. By 26 January 1926 he demonstrated the transmission of the image of a face in motion by radio. This is widely regarded as the first television demonstration."

I have never doubted that American engineers, inventors and entrepreneurs have taken established technologies and advanced them further. The computer is a classic example. Perhaps this is because America exists on the premise that developing a commodity that everyone wants, so that the developer can be rich is the core of its economy.

Nothing wrong with that...unless, of course the commodity is not in everyone's best interest.

Renee

Quote from: "SPECTRE"Well, I do not wish to imply that you are incorrect, but Wiki has this to say;

"By the 1920s, when amplification made television practical, Scottish inventor John Logie Baird employed the Nipkow disk in his prototype video systems. On 25 March 1925, Baird gave the first public demonstration of televised silhouette images in motion, at Selfridge's Department Store in London.[16] Since human faces had inadequate contrast to show up on his primitive system, he televised a ventriloquist's dummy named "Stooky Bill" talking and moving, whose painted face had higher contrast. By 26 January 1926 he demonstrated the transmission of the image of a face in motion by radio. This is widely regarded as the first television demonstration."

I have never doubted that American engineers, inventors and entrepreneurs have taken established technologies and advanced them further. The computer is a classic example. Perhaps this is because America exists on the premise that developing a commodity that everyone wants, so that the developer can be rich is the core of its economy.

Nothing wrong with that...unless, of course the commodity is not in everyone's best interest.

Point taken but I think you missed where I wrote the words "All electric TV". Baird's invention was a mechanical TV.

Let's keep the discussion to practical and viable inventions. Let me put it this way; when was the last time you owned or even heard of a mechanical TV?  :icon_wink: I will hazard a guess that you probably haven't but then again a individual of your maturity might actually have one along with a gramophone and a gas lamp.  :laugh: Sorry couldn't resist.

To put it in perspective, the bicycle and the motorcycle perform the same function but their mode of operation makes them two different machines and credit is given for their designed and creation to two different people. See how that works?

BTW, the motorcycle is an American invention as well but it's not credited as such.  Sylvester Howard Roper, a New Hampshire native, designed and built a coal fired, steam driven bicycle in 1867 which was actually the first motorcycle but the gas engine version which is credited as being the first, was not invented until 1885 by Gottlieb Daimler. So you see, taking credit for inventions when they weren't actually the first of their concept is not just an American thing. It's obvious that your classically Australian, rabid ant-Americanism clouds most of what you express on any subject regarding the US; warranted or not. Unfortunately and sadly your credibility suffers for it. This is not meant to be a slur against you in any way, it's just a heads up on what many here see as a rather pronounced failing of yours.  ac_dunno
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Bricktop

Quote from: "Renee"It's obvious that your classically Australian, rabid ant-Americanism clouds most of what you express on any subject regarding the US; warranted or not. Unfortunately and sadly your credibility suffers for it. This is not meant to be a slur against you in any way, it's just a heads up on what many here see as a rather pronounced failing of yours.  ac_dunno

Yes, Renee.

You're right.

I apologise.

:6:

Wulf

Quote from: "SPECTRE"
Quote from: "Renee"It's obvious that your classically Australian, rabid ant-Americanism clouds most of what you express on any subject regarding the US; warranted or not. Unfortunately and sadly your credibility suffers for it. This is not meant to be a slur against you in any way, it's just a heads up on what many here see as a rather pronounced failing of yours.  ac_dunno

Yes, Renee.

You're right.

I apologise.

:6:

You think she is going to fall for that phoney act of contrition? ac_toofunny

Good luck inspector.

Bricktop

Renee

Quote from: "SPECTRE"That is so cruel.

I am sincere!!!

ac_sothere

:nea: Really???  Me too.   ac_biggrin

Bricktop

I am duty bound to make you feel welcome and at home.

No confrontation here. I am your humble servant.

Want another muffin?

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "RW"I guess I just remember a different you and I miss her.  I'm not used to a bitchier version.  Don't get me wrong, I adore you either way.

I wasn't ganging up :P. I just made a point about computers.  I am a closet nerd after all.

Don't miss a ghost.  ac_biggrin

I was quite soft, gentle, tender, shy, and self-conscious before. As the years progressed, I evolved. When you put someone soft, gentle, and tender, in an environment for years where they had to learn to toughen up, that soft exterior will one day harden to adjust to its surroundings. Add to the mix some tough real life lessons and that will indeed harden a person, a defense mechanism. That is normal. Everyone does it. Still, the soft inner self is there but it is guarded now. On rare occasions, the guard may be down.

Quote from: "RW"He's the Noah of personal computing.

Finally, you said Babbage is the Noah of personal computing. Are you sure? (No need to respond.) I was saying that Noah was the tool but the ark was God's idea and concept. I never said the Americans invented computers. My message was that the Americans of Apple and Microsoft further developed the computers, improved it to what we use today and I stand by that statement always. My argument was to Spectre's American-bashing and I was merely pointing out that while he was bashing Americans, he was doing so on a computer that Americans developed and improved. That was the irony I was trying to convey. Last but not least, if you say you were not ganging up then please don't respond further to this because this topic is now closed to me and I would not like to add further to it. Remember, I am an older woman and I am already exhausted by this argument. Thanks and have a good day.
@realAzhyaAryola

Renee

Quote from: "SPECTRE"I am duty bound to make you feel welcome and at home.

No confrontation here. I am your humble servant.

Want another muffin?

"Duty bound"???? Oh I get it, someone has you on a short leash. Would you be so kind as to thank that person for me. ac_hithere

BTW, thanks but no thanks for the muffin. It's not that I don't trust you but it probably has rat poison or some junkie's shared HIV infected needles in it.  ac_biggrin

RW

Quote from: "Azhya Aryola"
Quote from: "RW"I guess I just remember a different you and I miss her.  I'm not used to a bitchier version.  Don't get me wrong, I adore you either way.

Don't miss a ghost.  ac_biggrin

I was quite soft, gentle, tender, shy, and self-conscious before. As the years progressed, I evolved. When you put someone soft, gentle, and tender, in an environment for years where they had to learn to toughen up, that soft exterior will one day harden to adjust to its surroundings. Add to the mix some tough real life lessons and that will indeed harden a person, a defense mechanism. That is normal. Everyone does it. Still, the soft inner self is there but it is guarded now. On rare occasions, the guard may be down.

Quote from: "RW"He's the Noah of personal computing.

Finally, you said Babbage is the Noah of personal computing. Are you sure? (No need to respond.) I was saying that Noah was the tool but the ark was God's idea and concept. I never said the Americans invented computers. My message was that the Americans of Apple and Microsoft further developed the computers, improved it to what we use today and I stand by that statement always. My argument was to Spectre's American-bashing and I was merely pointing out that while he was bashing Americans, he was doing so on a computer that Americans developed and improved. That was the irony I was trying to convey. Last but not least, if you say you were not ganging up then please don't respond further to this because this topic is now closed to me and I would not like to add further to it. Remember, I am an older woman and I am already exhausted by this argument. Thanks and have a good day.

I don't remember you being all soft and gentle.  I remember you being fun and sexual.  You did always have a kind word though.

Babbage is considered the "Father" of the personal computer.  I don't know what there is to argue about.  Next time, go with the Internet.  That's an American invention.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
spell bacon backwards with the first letter capitalized:
911 was an attack on what city (spell out lower case two words):
Is the "D" in Django silent? Yes or No? (must be lower case):
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview