Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

The grey area of consent

Started by shin, October 21, 2015, 07:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"So far, I've gotten some useful insight that explored angles of this situation i hadn't expected.

Quote from: "Dove"
Quote from: "shin"Since there are a lot of femmes here, perhaps I might get to see another side of this argument.

">

Do you agree with the general sentiment of this poster?

If not, what part of the implied notion do you disagree with, and why?  I don't agree.  I was raped at 14.  Someone getting drunk and making a choice they regret is not equal to being legit sexually assulted.  And....they are BOTH drunk. If she is too drunk to consent, isn't he too drunk to be held accountable?  Or too drunk to consent as well?  This is typical femnazi propaganda.

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you, Dove. I try not to be too judgmental about the choices people make, but I generally think it takes a self-esteem issue to forcibly rape anyone, especially a minor.

Because of all the highly publicized court cases involving intercourse that could not be confirmed as consensual, getting more than verbal permission has become more of a standard. Can you believe a female doctor routinely asks if she can touch me? even though she ends up "touching" me at least once every few months when she gets scheduled to examine me... and it's always somewhere above the waist.

Anyway, it's good to see I haven't encountered the true dark side of feminine forum posters, the like of which could be compared to the female equivalent of 4chan. You guys throw jokes at each other, but not in such a vindictive way to get offended over it.
Our Dove has had a remarkable turnaround in her life..

W have a good small community and we respect each other..

You are such a welcome addition shin.

ac_smile

shin

Yay! I'm communicable!

ac_dance   :yahoo:   ac_dance

RW

Legally, this still bothers me.  If two people are drunk and both legally cannot consent to sex but have consensual sex, why did they not both rape each other?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

QuoteDebbie Conner, the vice president for campus life and student engagement at Coastal Carolina University, confirmed to the Daily Dot that the poster originated from the university. Conner said it was published in 2008 by the Campus Assault Resource Education Support Coalition, made up of students, faculty, and staff at the university. "It went out of circulation in 2008," she said.

According to Conner, this poster wasn't widespread across CCU's campus. "I don't even remember this poster, and I've had a few people say that they printed probably 20 of them, and were on a few bulletin boards on campus, but it wasn't a big campaign."

Conner also says she isn't sure what Coastal students' reactions were to the poster.

"It was seven years ago... So, I have no earthly idea what people said about it, because it was not in my area of responsibility at the time. I don't even remember that poster even being on the campus," she said.

As far as why the poster is surfacing now, "I'm sure the conversations around sexual violence continue on social media and many other platforms that it can start quite a good discussion," she said.

According to Conner, this poster is no longer used at the university.

"The most disconcerting thing for me is that it's been posted and people don't understand it's not something we use or currently endorse on our campus," she said.

http://www.dailydot.com/lifestyle/anti-rape-poster-reddit-conversations/">//http://www.dailydot.com/lifestyle/anti-rape-poster-reddit-conversations/

shin

Quote from: "RW"Legally, this still bothers me.  If two people are drunk and both legally cannot consent to sex but have consensual sex, why did they not both rape each other?

Probably because in order to have a punishable crime, you have to have an obvious victim who suffered loss and a guilty perpetrator. If both parties fit both definitions I don't think the courts or police would bother with it... not unlike in some backward towns when domestic disputes arise that aren't necessarily violent, or Acts of God when someone starts grasping at straws for someone to sue to cut their losses.

shin

Quote from: "Romero"
QuoteDebbie Conner, the vice president for campus life and student engagement at Coastal Carolina University, confirmed to the Daily Dot that the poster originated from the university. Conner said it was published in 2008 by the Campus Assault Resource Education Support Coalition, made up of students, faculty, and staff at the university. "It went out of circulation in 2008," she said.

According to Conner, this poster wasn't widespread across CCU's campus. "I don't even remember this poster, and I've had a few people say that they printed probably 20 of them, and were on a few bulletin boards on campus, but it wasn't a big campaign."

Conner also says she isn't sure what Coastal students' reactions were to the poster.

"It was seven years ago... So, I have no earthly idea what people said about it, because it was not in my area of responsibility at the time. I don't even remember that poster even being on the campus," she said.

As far as why the poster is surfacing now, "I'm sure the conversations around sexual violence continue on social media and many other platforms that it can start quite a good discussion," she said.

According to Conner, this poster is no longer used at the university.

"The most disconcerting thing for me is that it's been posted and people don't understand it's not something we use or currently endorse on our campus," she said.

http://www.dailydot.com/lifestyle/anti-rape-poster-reddit-conversations/">//http://www.dailydot.com/lifestyle/anti-rape-poster-reddit-conversations/

Although I knew about this before making the thread, I was going for a devil's advocate type discussion over trying to incite outrage through circulating a controversial viewpoint of fewer than a majority. Somehow more than a few people thought this was a good enough idea to use as a tool of garnering awareness. The point is, it definitely isn't fake.