Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

The grey area of consent

Started by shin, October 21, 2015, 07:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shin

Since there are a lot of femmes here, perhaps I might get to see another side of this argument.

">

Do you agree with the general sentiment of this poster?

If not, what part of the implied notion do you disagree with, and why?

RW

I don't see a grey area in terms of consent.  One who is intoxicated cannot give consent.

The thing that bakes my noodle is if they both agree while drunk, did they legally rape each other?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Oh please, if I went by that, I guess I was raped dozens of times over the course of my single life.

Not to be mean or anything but I think you almost have to be half in the bag just to do it with most of the guys you meet in bars or clubs.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

shin

Quote from: "RW"I don't see a grey area in terms of consent.  One who is intoxicated cannot give consent.

The thing that bakes my noodle is if they both agree while drunk, did they legally rape each other?

For me, it seems like an automatic scapegoat that would assumedly go along with ingesting any quantity of alcohol, and removes any implied guilt as if it were impossible to make sound judgement while intoxicated.

I think what the sign is implying more than "no consent can be given while drunk" is "what counts as validation of consent among otherwise strangers who happen to get naked and touch each other." I doubt they went through the various possibilities and made a strict definition of what constitutes an official sexual encounter.

shin

Quote from: "Renee"Oh please, if I went by that, I guess I was raped dozens of times over the course of my single life.

Not to be mean or anything but I think you almost have to be half in the bag just to do it with most of the guys you meet in bars or clubs.

I don't think that's mean. Most bars and clubs bring out the lowest common denominator.

@realAzhyaAryola

Consenting to get drunk is consenting to dive low.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Oh please, if I went by that, I guess I was raped dozens of times over the course of my single life.

Hey, that was a long time ago and I was not so ugly then. :laugh3:

I guess I have been guilty of rape dozens of times if I went by that.

Frood

They both should be charged with rape if alcohol consumption along with sex is not legitimate consent even when both parties equally consented. It's sexist otherwise.

Feminism has really gone off the rails.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"They both should be charged with rape if alcohol consumption along with sex is not legitimate consent even when both parties equally consented. It's sexist otherwise.

Feminism has really gone off the rails.

Right on brother. Feminism is off the rails.

Frood

Blahhhhhh...

Frood

Quote from: "RW"It will swing back but we need to challenge this on a legal level.

Do you think that's likely though?

There is still no overall consensus on what constitutes statutory rape in many localities. Rulings on gender and age gaps mean that dating someone for 2 years and then turning 18 could or could not be construed as rape regardless of the consenting duo's consent. Sometimes it even comes down to gender when the underage couple are of the same age. Some places are very liberal in consent. Others are draconian.

There's too many solicitors and politicians making a living off the consent issue by playing up supposed ethics dilemmas and the fears of communities. Then there are the militant feminists, and that's a whole different kettle of rancid fish fannies.
Blahhhhhh...

RW

I think I don't want to talk to a troll who is a guy pretending to be a chick on this board any more.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Frood

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"
Quote from: "RW"It will swing back but we need to challenge this on a legal level.

Do you think that's likely though?

There is still no overall consensus on what constitutes statutory rape in many localities. Rulings on gender and age gaps mean that dating someone for 2 years and then turning 18 could or could not be construed as rape regardless of the consenting duo's consent. Sometimes it even comes down to gender when the underage couple are of the same age. Some places are very liberal in consent. Others are draconian.

There's too many solicitors and politicians making a living off the consent issue by playing up supposed ethics dilemmas and the fears of communities. Then there are the militant feminists, and that's a whole different kettle of rancid fish fannies.

Quote from: "RW"I think I don't want to talk to a troll who is a guy pretending to be a chick on this board any more.

Fair enough if that's what you think. I can't force you to engage a completely valid and earnest point I've made because you have suspicions about my gender and or reason to participate here.
Blahhhhhh...

RW

Yes I know I don't want to talk to trolls.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Frood

Well then could you please follow through with your accusation and stop talking to me. It's derailing an otherwise fruitful topic of discussion about gender inequality. Thank you.
Blahhhhhh...