Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Diet Soda

Started by shin, January 14, 2016, 09:02:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shin

Ten years ago, I swore I would never grow accustomed to liking diet sodas over their high fructose counterparts. I'm not sure what sucked me into this vortex. I guess our palates can change drastically in a short time. I can already see there are some aspects of drinking diet soda that require a bit of getting used to

1. Nothing artificial tastes like sugar, so get over it.

2. The low calorie option is the primary selling point.

3. While some brands tastes like crap, there are others that make up for it.

Now this is the kicker. I don't think I want to randomly pick up multiple brands of diet soda every time I'm at the supermarket until I pick a winner. If you have any advice for a novice diet soda head, I'd love to hear it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"Ten years ago, I swore I would never grow accustomed to liking diet sodas over their high fructose counterparts. I'm not sure what sucked me into this vortex. I guess our palates can change drastically in a short time. I can already see there are some aspects of drinking diet soda that require a bit of getting used to

1. Nothing artificial tastes like sugar, so get over it.

2. The low calorie option is the primary selling point.

3. While some brands tastes like crap, there are others that make up for it.

Now this is the kicker. I don't think I want to randomly pick up multiple brands of diet soda every time I'm at the supermarket until I pick a winner. If you have any advice for a novice diet soda head, I'd love to hear it.

Sorry, I can't help ya Shin, I am not a pop drinker. I like fruit juices which are just as bad in the sugar department as Coke though.

Renee

Yeah my advice is.....don't drink any of that stuff. Artificial sweeteners are linked to all sorts of aliments from headaches to an increased risk of contacting type 2 diabetes. Studies also show that drinking diet soda does nothing to control weight gain and in fact, has the opposite effect in many cases. So why drink it?

Drink seltzer or unsweetened ice tea and stay away from that crap.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Yeah my advice is.....don't drink any of that stuff. Artificial sweeteners are linked to all sorts of aliments from headaches to an increased risk of contacting type 2 diabetes. Studies also show that drinking diet soda does nothing to control weight gain and in fact, has the opposite effect in many cases. So why drink it?

I have read that.

shin

Quote from: "Renee"Yeah my advice is.....don't drink any of that stuff. Artificial sweeteners are linked to all sorts of aliments from headaches to an increased risk of contacting type 2 diabetes. Studies also show that drinking diet soda does nothing to control weight gain and in fact, has the opposite effect in many cases. So why drink it?

Hmmm,You make a very good point.

If it weren't for the carbonation, I would probably give up sodas for life. At this point in my life, I rarely have more than a can a day. I don't drink pop every day, but some external factors cause me to crave it. Anything from humid weather to complimenting fast food.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"

If it weren't for the carbonation, I would probably give up sodas for life. At this point in my life, I rarely have more than a can a day. I don't drink pop every day, but some external factors cause me to crave it. Anything from humid weather to complimenting fast food.

Have you tried carbonated water with lemon?

Renee

I understand what you are saying about the carbonation. Thats why I drink flavored seltzer....no sugar, no artificial sweetener, no sodium. I used to drink a lot of diet soda but I gave it up about 6 years ago. I used to get a lot of headaches as well but when I cut out aspartame and other artificial sweeteners the frequency of the headaches went down dramatically.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

shin

Quote from: "Shen Li"

A long time ago.

I used to be a heavy smoker, but I quit over a year ago. I noticed that when you smoke, your tastebuds are essentially coated in filth and it gets all the more difficult to taste anything that doesn't have a strong flavor.

When I quit, I thought it would be easier on me to also quit coffee and tea. A few months later, I decided i was over the nicotine addiction, so it wouldn't kill me to drink coffee and tea again. You can imagine i was drinking a lot more when it was coupled with a constant urge to light up.

Long story short, I'm a lot more sensitive to caffeine now, so I drink them both a bit more sparingly. I think I could go without caffeine every other day, but some days I tend to want it during the AM hours. getting rid fo my coffee maker wasn't the brightest of ideas, but it was a means to an end in the long run.

I think I'll be drinking more tea this year.

shin

Quote from: "Renee"

I understand what you are saying about the carbonation. Thats why I drink flavored seltzer....no sugar, no artificial sweetener, no sodium. I used to drink a lot of diet soda but I gave it up about 6 years ago. I used to get a lot of headaches as well but when I cut out aspartame and other artificial sweeteners the frequency of the headaches went down dramatically.

I think you single-handedly turned me off of diet soda. with just 2 posts. Thanks a bundle!

Anonymous

A long time ago.

I used to be a heavy smoker, but I quit over a year ago. I noticed that when you smoke, your tastebuds are essentially coated in filth and it gets all the more difficult to taste anything that doesn't have a strong flavor.

When I quit, I thought it would be easier on me to also quit coffee and tea. A few months later, I decided i was over the nicotine addiction, so it wouldn't kill me to drink coffee and tea again. You can imagine i was drinking a lot more when it was coupled with a constant urge to light up.

Long story short, I'm a lot more sensitive to caffeine now, so I drink them both a bit more sparingly. I think I could go without caffeine every other day, but some days I tend to want it during the AM hours. getting rid fo my coffee maker wasn't the brightest of ideas, but it was a means to an end in the long run.

Have you gained any weight since you quit smoking? I did, but it's been a long time since I quit smoking and I lost most of it.

Anonymous

A long time ago.

You'll like tea and your body will like it too.

shin

Quote from: "Herman"

A long time ago.

Have you gained any weight since you quit smoking? I did, but it's been a long time since I quit smoking and I lost most of it.

Yeah, a noticeable bit.

While it does bother me how much easier it is to gain weight without smoking and drinking coffee everyday, I try to remind myself of the positive aspects... Especially the rising cost of cigarettes here. When I started, they were less than $3.50 a pack. When I quit, the were over $12 a pack!

I was a smoker on and off for 15 years, but the price of most cigarettes was going up rapidly, mainly due to the taxes added by our city. I made a joke when they doubled in price that I would stop cold turkey when they got to be $10, but by then I had already looked into other more affordable options. It started with rolling tobacco, and ended with cigarillos (they taste awful, but most brands can be purchased for under $3 a pack.)

I was given a disposable e-cig a couple of years ago. I initially thought it was as bad as it would get for alternatives, but I used it to get over the hill when I was feeling the worst cravings during my road to quitting, and I haven't relapsed so far. Smoke free since 6/1/14.

shin

A long time ago.

You'll like tea and your body will like it too.

From what I remember, I liked tea a little too much. I wanted to drink a cup almost every hour. At any rate, I think the caffeine will force me to slow down now that I'm older.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

A long time ago.

Yeah, a noticeable bit.

While it does bother me how much easier it is to gain weight without smoking and drinking coffee everyday, I try to remind myself of the positive aspects... Especially the rising cost of cigarettes here. When I started, they were less than $3.50 a pack. When I quit, the were over $12 a pack!

I was a smoker on and off for 15 years, but the price of most cigarettes was going up rapidly, mainly due to the taxes added by our city. I made a joke when they doubled in price that I would stop cold turkey when they got to be $10, but by then I had already looked into other more affordable options. It started with rolling tobacco, and ended with cigarillos (they taste awful, but most brands can be purchased for under $3 a pack.)

I was given a disposable e-cig a couple of years ago. I initially thought it was as bad as it would get for alternatives, but I used it to get over the hill when I was feeling the worst cravings during my road to quitting, and I haven't relapsed so far. Smoke free since 6/1/14.

I hear you brother.  I started smoking when I was thirteen. I quit in my thirties, so do the math there. I did not care about the expense that much. I did not want to be the 50% of people who die because of their smoking habit. I did the Nicorette gum for almost a year to get me over my nicotine addiction.

If you have been off tobacco for one year now, you are off of it for life from what I have seen. It's so liberating being free of cancer sticks. You can't smoke anywhere here anyway. Being outside in Saskatchewan when it is minus twenty and you are three metres from an entrance just to inhale poison is the biggest incentive I can think of to quit.

Anonymous

From what I remember, I liked tea a little too much. I wanted to drink a cup almost every hour. At any rate, I think the caffeine will force me to slow down now that I'm older.

I sip on green tea all day. There's not a lot of caffeine in it. It's loaded with anti-oxidants too.