The best topic

Replies: 7553
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 11:58:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Since Canada Won't Work With Alberta, Alberta Needs To Start Looking At Different Options Including Becoming A US State

Started by Anonymous, January 29, 2016, 12:03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

My husband and I know a couple who are very active in a movement to change Alberta's relationship with the rest of Canada..

One of the options they have on the table is union with the United States..

Apparently it's always been around, but has gained traction over the last few years with comments about Dutch disease and that Canada is better off in the hands of leaders from Quebec so they tell us..

I was wondering what would the future be for Canada if Alberta left confederation for the United States?

I assume Saskatchewan and BC would also reassess their role in Canada too.

Perhaps Canada would be from Manitoba to Newfoundland plus the three territories.

J0E

Quote from: "Fashionista"My husband and I know a couple who are very active in a movement to change Alberta's relationship with the rest of Canada..

Apparently it's always been around, but has gained traction over the last few years with comments about Dutch disease and that Canada is better off in the hands of leaders from Quebec so they tell us..

I was wondering what would the future be for Canada if Alberta left confederation for the United States?

Perhaps Canada would be from Manitoba to Newfoundland plus the three territories.

I don't want to join the United States Fashionista.

They have a lot of social problems.

So much violence.

Too many guns.

Too many of their own citizens in prison.

Too much social pressure.

A lot of racism.

Asians like yourself have it better in Canada than they do in the US.

Your identity would be 'Asian-Am'.

The USA has a national debt of $20 trillion - which they'd fully expect Alberta and Saskatchewan to subsidize.If you think Ottawa is milking Alberta for all its worth, then it would be ten times worse with Uncle Sam. He'd want even more, and if Alberta didn't fork over, they'd play hardball.

Being part of America isn't all that it's cracked up to be.

There are regions in the US which feel they aren't getting a good deal either.

It's not a place that you'd feel comfortable raising your children in.

But you'd only find that out when after you moved there.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"My husband and I know a couple who are very active in a movement to change Alberta's relationship with the rest of Canada..

http://wpmedia.calgaryherald.com/2012/11/justin-trudeau-in-interview.jpg?quality=55&strip=all&w=640&h=480&crop=1">

Did you really expect this retard to have your back?

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"I roll my eyes that people are still peddling the myth that Alberta has done nothing to diversify it's economy. Only Newfoundland has diversified more than Alberta. The reason at least prior to Jim Prentice and Rachel Notley was it's super competitive tax policies and zero net debt. In 2012, Calgary Economic Development lists 123 companies headquartered in Calgary that report annual revenues of $100 million or more. Dozens have revenues in excess of $1 billion and, somewhat surprisingly, 12 of that number are not oil and gas companies. Both of our class one rail companies have their logistical centres in Alberta.

Ontario is the province that most desperately needs to diversify away from it's dependence on a declining auto sector. Thirteen straight years of sub par economic performance. The former economic engine of Canada cannot even get going with a 70 cent dollar. We got a multi billion dollar bailout from the previous government for our number one industry and Alberta gets the door slammed in it's face by this government. I can understand the frustration the people of Alberta must feel. But, we cannot afford to lose Alberta. We could survive without Quebec, Newfoundland or Nova Soctia, but we are done as a nation without Alberta.

[size=200]BULLSEYE!![/size]

It's not resource rich Alberta, Saskatchewan or BC that have put all their economic eggs in one basket. It's Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec who are receiving equalization payments while NOT fully developing their resources.

J0E

What the following commentary demonstrates is that Canada, as a whole, does not have an effective and coordinated economic strategy to fully realize the potential of its natural resource extraction. We are still stuck on the 19th century hewer of wood, water and oil model.

Oil is still important to this country, will be for a long time to come, but better use must be made of it and the other natural resources we have. Nations with far less somehow manage to do a lot more with what they have. ie - Sweden gets 10 x more the use out of its forests than Canada does, and its industrial engine makes us seem like laggards.

We don't seem to have a truly 1st world economy like many others.

We need to develop one.

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "seoulbro"I roll my eyes that people are still peddling the myth that Alberta has done nothing to diversify it's economy. Only Newfoundland has diversified more than Alberta. The reason at least prior to Jim Prentice and Rachel Notley was it's super competitive tax policies and zero net debt. In 2012, Calgary Economic Development lists 123 companies headquartered in Calgary that report annual revenues of $100 million or more. Dozens have revenues in excess of $1 billion and, somewhat surprisingly, 12 of that number are not oil and gas companies. Both of our class one rail companies have their logistical centres in Alberta.

Ontario is the province that most desperately needs to diversify away from it's dependence on a declining auto sector. Thirteen straight years of sub par economic performance. The former economic engine of Canada cannot even get going with a 70 cent dollar. We got a multi billion dollar bailout from the previous government for our number one industry and Alberta gets the door slammed in it's face by this government. I can understand the frustration the people of Alberta must feel. But, we cannot afford to lose Alberta. We could survive without Quebec, Newfoundland or Nova Soctia, but we are done as a nation without Alberta.

[size=200]BULLSEYE!![/size]

It's not resource rich Alberta, Saskatchewan or BC that have put all their economic eggs in one basket. It's Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec who are receiving equalization payments while NOT fully developing their resources.

RW

Shen, just wait 4 years and we'll have a new retard in power.  Maybe we'll even get one from Alberta again.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Shen, just wait 4 years and we'll have a new retard in power.  Maybe we'll even get one from Alberta again.

It was nice knowing you Western neighbour. With us gone and Alberta jr(Saskatchewan) following us, you British Columbians will be the new bad guys that federal Liberals love to hate, but want ur money. We wish you luck, cuz you'll need it. We've got our own problems now with our left-wing prez, Donald Trump.

RW

We've never even been on their radars, nevermind the bad guys.

No offense to the US, but I'd rather move to Newfoundland than become an American State.

Like I said, just cool your heels and in 4 years we'll have some new idiot running the shit show.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"We've never even been on their radars, nevermind the bad guys.

Like I said, just cool your heels and in 4 years we'll have some new idiot running the shit show.

Alberta outside Canada is good for Albertans. True Dope will be looking around for a new province to demonize. BC and NFLD are both resource dependent. My money is going on you guys being the bad guys since you have about 10 times the population s NFLD. You'll love paying for Quebec to trash talk you. We sure did.

Alberta and Alberta jr are gone. It's inevitable, deal with it.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

This guy summed it up:

"United we stand divided we fall," Corey M. O'Brien of Edmonton, Alberta wrote. "Like it or not it was a legal election, the way it has been done for centuries now, if you don't like, it feel free it emigrate anywhere else in the world. Leave Canada the way it is."

"This smells of the Quebec referendum from years ago, and I know the opinion of the majority of western Canadians as to how that went, so please stop this whining," he added. "If you don't like the results of the election then get more involved in the process next time. Until then it is a majority government for the next 4 years."
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Renee

It will never happen unless DC and Ottawa can reach an agreement that EVERYONE can live with.

The US will not jeopardize our relationship with Canada just to appease a bunch of radical separatists.

As far as you industry and oil goes. If we really wanted the benefits from it, Washington would have given the green light to keystone 4 years ago.

Stop dreaming. Work out your problems with your boy ruler. If you hold all the cards then use it to put enough pressure on your national leaders to achieve what you want.

Maybe you need to work on electing leaders in Alberta with some brains and some balls?
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"It will never happen unless DC and Ottawa can reach an agreement that EVERYONE can live with.

The US will not jeopardize our relationship with Canada just to appease a bunch of radical separatists.

As far as you industry and oil goes. If we really wanted the benefits from it Washington would have given the green light to keystone 4 years ago.

Stop dreaming. Work out your problems with your boy ruler. If you hold all the cards then use to put enough pressure on your national leaders to achieve what you want.

Keystone was about internal US politics and we know that. IBut, the US has hinted in the past it would make an offer of union to English Canada if Quebec separated. Alberta and Saskatchewan would be easily assimilated and give the US access to rich supplies of uranium and potash along with oil and gas.

There is a misunderstanding that it is about imbecile of a pm and that is not true. This has never gone away. It's always been there. I predicted separatism would raise it's again if another Trudeau became pm and I was right.

Now back to my question. What are the incentives for the status quo?

RW

Quote from: "Herman"Why should Alberta and Saskatchewan remain in Canada? What are the incentives to stay?

Why do you think it's an option to leave?  I mean, if you want to go, there's the door but "our home and native land" stays with us in Canada.
Beware of Gaslighters!