Replies: 10393
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 09:41:25 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

Would you eat this Frankenfood?

Started by shin, March 05, 2016, 02:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Any place that serves food should be.

Maybe not if the food is packaged..

I don't know, I am just guessing.

RW

I'm not sure what the deal is with pre-packaged food carts.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Annie

I knew records of restaurant food safety was online but I didn't know of the food carts. Good to know.
Your mind is a garden. Your thoughts are the seeds. You can grow flowers or you can grow weeds.  ~ Anonymous

Renee

I'd sooner eat from just about any food truck than some of the Chinese restaurants I've been in lately.

I go in, I place an order and I start looking around and I say to myself.....Self, please don't start counting the dead flies in the light fixtures, you're going to throw up.  :yuk:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"I'd sooner eat from just about any food truck than some of the Chinese restaurants I've been in lately.

I go in, I place an order and I start looking around and I say to myself.....Self, please don't start counting the dead flies in the light fixtures, you're going to throw up.  :yuk:

I find that to be true in small town Chinese restaurants. But, in cities there good clean Chinese restaurants.

Renee

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Renee"I'd sooner eat from just about any food truck than some of the Chinese restaurants I've been in lately.

I find that to be true in small town Chinese restaurants. But, in cities there good clean Chinese restaurants.

True, the ones I go in in New York are as clean as any restaurant. They are also more upscale than the average. It's the local take-out places you have to be careful of. Some of them run kinda slipshot and you never know if the chicken and broccoli is actually chicken......or cat. :laugh3:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

Yeah, I know what you mean. Usually in buildings that look like a good wind would knock them down.

RW

I was reading about a card system of red, yellow, and green cards that restaurants had to display prominently to show their inspection status.  Green means fully compliant, yellow means 1-2 critical non-compliance issues and red means they had been shut down for major infractions.

I really like the idea of knowing the status before eating at restaurants/carts/etc.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I was reading about a card system of red, yellow, and green cards that restaurants had to display prominently to show their inspection status.  Green means fully compliant, yellow means 1-2 critical non-compliance issues and red means they had been shut down for major infractions.

I really like the idea of knowing the status before eating at restaurants/carts/etc.

Is that in Vancouver?

shin

I used to work in a restaurant when I was a teenager, and from what I learned back then, every public place of bisuness is subject to health inspections of some kind. It's not even limited to freshly made food or places that sell edible products.

Part of the reason they sweep and mop the floors  daily in places of business has to do with the health code. I believe this is pretty much true across the board in the first world.

Even if you open a lemonade stand and somebody gets sick who recently purchased something from you at that stand, you can face fines of up to $100,000 through OSHA, and the availability of public health records would probably fall under HIPAA. No one generally sues vendors who seem to not be able to pay the exorbitant fines that have made many an attorney wealthy, so we don't hear about these things much. Plus, it would most likely fall under appellate court rulings... but that's just here in the U.S.

Anonymous

Quote from: "shin"I used to work in a restaurant when I was a teenager, and from what I learned back then, every public place of bisuness is subject to health inspections of some kind. It's not even limited to freshly made food or places that sell edible products.

Part of the reason they sweep and mop the floors  daily in places of business has to do with the health code. I believe this is pretty much true across the board in the first world.

Even if you open a lemonade stand and somebody gets sick who recently purchased something from you at that stand, you can face fines of up to $100,000 through OSHA, and the availability of public health records would probably fall under HIPAA. No one generally sues vendors who seem to not be able to pay the exorbitant fines that have made many an attorney wealthy, so we don't hear about these things much. Plus, it would most likely fall under appellate court rulings... but that's just here in the U.S.

Have you ever seen Bar Rescue? Not every bar or restaurant is following the rules.

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "RW"I was reading about a card system of red, yellow, and green cards that restaurants had to display prominently to show their inspection status.  Green means fully compliant, yellow means 1-2 critical non-compliance issues and red means they had been shut down for major infractions.

Is that in Vancouver?

I can't remember where it was exactly but I'm thinking it was rolling out in Ontario.  I think it's a great idea.  Make their inspections visible on the business.  That will learn em.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"

Is that in Vancouver?

I can't remember where it was exactly but I'm thinking it was rolling out in Ontario.  I think it's a great idea.  Make their inspections visible on the business.  That will learn em.

So that is provincial and not municipal rules?

RW

Is that in Vancouver?

I would say it would be a regional/municipal thing.  The story was from Hamilton, ON:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/new-food-inspection-program-rolls-out-in-hamilton-1.2551146">http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ ... -1.2551146">http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/new-food-inspection-program-rolls-out-in-hamilton-1.2551146
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Is that in Vancouver?

I would say it would be a regional/municipal thing.  The story was from Hamilton, ON:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/new-food-inspection-program-rolls-out-in-hamilton-1.2551146">http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/ ... -1.2551146">http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/new-food-inspection-program-rolls-out-in-hamilton-1.2551146

That is interesting.