News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10409
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:23:53 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

My thoughts are with those up in Fort Mac.

Started by Blurt, May 04, 2016, 10:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"Last I heard the fire is now 85,000 hectares in size.  :shock:

Wow....over 200,000 acres.  Over 320 square miles.  Nine survey townships...

Pardon my awe,,, we Yanks aren't used to thinking in hectares.

cc

So, what I have been afraid to ask.

Anyone! As I have not heard of casualties being mentioned  in any regard to date, Does that mean there actually are no serious casualties? .
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"ac_crying  The animals

"Nature" is a ruthless and heatless son of  bitch  .. and in so many ways

And this fire storm is nature in its ruthless  natural action exactly as it has always been. Whether people or animals are there or not is of no concern to the cycles of nature.

Since forests and / or long grass first exited .... trees grew,  got old,  dropped limbs, undergrowth filled in and lightning struck ... infernos grew and moved according to the winds, and often lightning from within the hot clouds of the closed environment of the firestorm  starting new sections burning, huge areas at a time burned  ... then silence ... just black with no food for animals ... then sprigs start to grow and a new cycle begins all over again and repeats that cycle over and over again endlessly .. and each cycle always ending in total destruction

And yes, animals die when the wind is high and they cannot outrun the fires or outguess the wind's turns of direction ... or the infernos  own-created winds throw more curves at them and unexpectedly create  new wind / fire / smoke directions that vary greatly from the "outside" wind.

"Nature" is a ruthless and heatless son of  bitch that never stops its killing cycles

That vile slob Elizabeth May is exploiting this tragedy for political purposes. Climate change is the culprit she moans. If Fort McMurray's main industry was taxpayer subsidized artificial industry instead of crude oil there would be no massive wild fire. :001_rolleyes:

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc la femme"
Quote from: "Annie"That's scary as heck. I'm amazed people are remaining calm.

I have on occasion  lived in "frontier" areas. The people who go there are a different animal . .a different breed of cat.

In general, they are very brave and able to handle themselves under duress by their very  nature

The people of Ft Mac and "the Ft Macs" are wonderful people.

I think I'd pee myself if I was in those cars taking those dash-cam vids. Absolutely amazing that they all got out

I do not consider Fort McMurray frontier areas. I consider it what it is, a city.

Zama and Rainbow Lake are frontier areas.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"

And this fire storm is nature in its ruthless  natural action exactly as it has always been. Whether people or animals are there or not is of no concern to the cycles of nature.

Since forests and / or long grass first exited .... trees grew,  got old,  dropped limbs, undergrowth filled in and lightning struck ... infernos grew and moved according to the winds, and often lightning from within the hot clouds of the closed environment of the firestorm  starting new sections burning, huge areas at a time burned  ... then silence ... just black with no food for animals ... then sprigs start to grow and a new cycle begins all over again and repeats that cycle over and over again endlessly .. and each cycle always ending in total destruction

And yes, animals die when the wind is high and they cannot outrun the fires or outguess the wind's turns of direction ... or the infernos  own-created winds throw more curves at them and unexpectedly create  new wind / fire / smoke directions that vary greatly from the "outside" wind.

"Nature" is a ruthless and heatless son of  bitch that never stops its killing cycles

That vile slob Elizabeth May is exploiting this tragedy for political purposes. Climate change is the culprit she moans. If Fort McMurray's main industry was taxpayer subsidized artificial industry instead of crude oil there would be no massive wild fire. :001_rolleyes:

A sleazy politician being a sleazy politician..

But, I am somewhat surprised at the leadership Rachel Notley has shown so far.

Twenty Dollars

Nothing to do with global warming? Canada must be exempt? News coverage shows lots of devastation.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"

Nothing to do with global warming? Canada must be exempt? News coverage shows lots of devastation.

The fire was not caused by lightning strikes and the most likely caused by people being careless with fires as most wild fires..

Herman is right, Elizabeth May is a politician with an agenda and not interested in facts.

Fort McMurray wildfire likely caused by humans: U of A professor

http://globalnews.ca/news/2684741/fort-mcmurray-wildfire-likely-caused-by-humans/">http://globalnews.ca/news/2684741/fort- ... by-humans/">http://globalnews.ca/news/2684741/fort-mcmurray-wildfire-likely-caused-by-humans/

No, nature is not to blame for the Fort McMurray fire. If only it were that simple

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/colby-cosh-no-nature-is-not-to-blame-for-the-fort-mcmurray-fire-if-only-it-were-that-simple">http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comme ... hat-simple">http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/colby-cosh-no-nature-is-not-to-blame-for-the-fort-mcmurray-fire-if-only-it-were-that-simple

Twenty Dollars

News agencies are reporting lightning strikes. Must be very dry for that to occur.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"News agencies are reporting lightning strikes. Must be very dry for that to occur.

There were no lightning strikes in the area prior to the fire..

That city has grown faster than almost any other smaller city in Canada and it was likely caused by careless human activity in the area..

And yes it is a dry El Nino year in Western Canada.

Twenty Dollars

Same dry scenario in Centeral America. If this year brings little rain, it will be 3 dry years in a row. I understand that this fire has burned an area as big as New York City.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"

The fire was not caused by lightning strikes and the most likely caused by people being careless with fires as most wild fires..

Herman is right, Elizabeth May is a politician with an agenda and not interested in facts.

Fort McMurray wildfire likely caused by humans: U of A professor

http://globalnews.ca/news/2684741/fort-mcmurray-wildfire-likely-caused-by-humans/">http://globalnews.ca/news/2684741/fort- ... by-humans/">http://globalnews.ca/news/2684741/fort-mcmurray-wildfire-likely-caused-by-humans/

No, nature is not to blame for the Fort McMurray fire. If only it were that simple

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/colby-cosh-no-nature-is-not-to-blame-for-the-fort-mcmurray-fire-if-only-it-were-that-simple">http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comme ... hat-simple">http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/colby-cosh-no-nature-is-not-to-blame-for-the-fort-mcmurray-fire-if-only-it-were-that-simple

Just so you know Fash, even Elizabeth May was forced to concede that no such single event can be said to have been caused by climate change. She's a still a scumbag and I am sure she wishes Fort McMurray was destroyed permanently.

Anonymous

As big as the wildfire is now I heard on the news it could double in size by tomorrow.

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"As big as the wildfire is now I heard on the news it could double in size by tomorrow.

Man, they need some heavy rain there.

Anonymous

The fire could grow to 300,000 square kilometres and could take months to extinguish.

easter bunny

The fleas expect to have the dog under control as soon as it goes to sleep.