Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 03:49:33 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Dove

The media and it's infulence over stereotypes

Started by shin, December 02, 2016, 09:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "shin"How much has the media shaped the way you feel about different ethnic groups?

There has been some success with shows like Hawaii Five 0, but there is still the image of Asians as outsiders and not really Americans with shows like Fresh Off The Boat.

FOB is Eddie Huang's story..

I suppose some Americans may form opinions of Asian Americans from watching that show.

shin

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Yeah Right"Interesting subject.

I'm probably stating the obvious, but I think there are other important factors beyond the media that get weighed when people assess group behavior.  

Like personal experience,

talking to friends, family members, acquaintances

and, perhaps if one is to delve further, statistical evidence,

as well as, last but not least, things like message boards.

I am here and ready to learn :laugh:

Without a doubt Yeah Right..

On previous forums I posted at, the majority opinion of young East Asian was that the American media was solely responsible for their unpopularity with girls..

As I said, for most of them their opinions evolved as they grew older.

I started to notice a lot of young Asian women dating predominantly white guys in their 30s. Of course, it could just be a localized group of people.

shin

If you listen to stand up comedians...

rich black people are athletes and poor ones are in gangs

rich Hispanic people are drug dealers and poor ones sell tacos from a truck

rich Asians are dentists and poor ones work at a dry cleaner

rich white people work in the government and poor ones lost their wealth in a lawsuit or have a gambling problem

That's a post for Gordy to keep him occupied.

shin

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"
Quote from: "shin"How much has the media shaped the way you feel about different ethnic groups?

People are sheep and will believe anything they see on social media.  A lot of people see a picture and a headline and just assume immediately without thinking about what they really saw or read and ask themselves, who, what, why, where and how?

We are all people...same inside we all wear a different canvas....seeing is selling and media knows that....more people need to use their brains....im fuckin tired today and i want some pho...

I think social media is shaping us to be more congruent on opinions of things we wouldn't have otherwise bothered to learn about, and in turn we don't bother looking any further than opinionated rhetoric if it's still not something we care much about.

How was that pho?

Anonymous

I don't stereotype people based on stand up comedy routines or sitcoms. People that do, obviously have lazy brains.

Yeah Right

Quote from: "shin"

I'm probably stating the obvious, but I think there are other important factors beyond the media that get weighed when people assess group behavior.  

On previous forums I posted at, the majority opinion of young East Asian was that the American media was solely responsible for their unpopularity with girls..

I started to notice a lot of young Asian women dating predominantly white guys in their 30s. Of course, it could just be a localized group of people.

I have to add, media or no media, I don't really know how Asian men are viewed by white women.  But I don;t think there;s much if any barrier between white men and Asian women.  In fact there are some white men who actually prefer Asian women.  Look at Gordy. Maybe he should take all those depressed guys on the AA forum to Pattaya with him.  :laugh:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Yeah Right"

I have to add, media or no media, I don't really know how Asian men are viewed by white women.  But I don;t think there;s much if any barrier between white men and Asian women.  In fact there are some white men who actually prefer Asian women.  Look at Gordy. Maybe he should take all those depressed guys on the AA forum to Pattaya with him.  :laugh:

Gordy gets laid in third world tourist ghetto. It is kind of pathetic, but he will take whatever he can get even though he has to pay for it and the gals are repulsed by him.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Yeah Right"

It depends on the individual lady..

My brother is married to a Caucasian lady(if you consider Lebanese white).

There are some Caucasian ladies who prefer East Asian men.