The best topic

Replies: 8373
Total votes: : 3

Last post: June 29, 2024, 10:59:57 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Dove

22 Push ups in...whatever

Started by Bricktop, December 04, 2016, 06:28:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 7 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

reel

Quote from: "Herman"I was busting your balls reel. I'm only a hobby farmer myself. But I am trying my best to get it to pay the bills.

No worries. Sorry for getting excited. I hope to be a hobby farmer doing my best to get it to pay the bills one day. I'm just doing what I can with a suburban lot now.

I really do believe in the idea of mutually supporting plant guilds and layering to improve productivity, but recognize it's not terribly practical if the goal is to harvest for cash. I like the idea of wandering about a food forest to pick what's ripe and eat it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "reel"
Quote from: "Herman"I was busting your balls reel. I'm only a hobby farmer myself. But I am trying my best to get it to pay the bills.

No worries. Sorry for getting excited. I hope to be a hobby farmer doing my best to get it to pay the bills one day. I'm just doing what I can with a suburban lot now.

I really do believe in the idea of mutually supporting plant guilds and layering to improve productivity, but recognize it's not terribly practical if the goal is to harvest for cash. I like the idea of wandering about a food forest to pick what's ripe and eat it.

That's more than what I have reel. I live in a condo, but a nearby community garden interests my girlfriend and I.

I did a very brief Google search, but it seems like permaculture would be more efficient with higher yields and therefore profitable per acre, at least in the developing world. Intensive rotational grazing is one example of that.

reel

Quote from: "seoulbro"
That's more than what I have reel. I live in a condo, but a nearby community garden interests my girlfriend and I.

I did a very brief Google search, but it seems like permaculture would be more efficient with higher yields and therefore profitable per acre, at least in the developing world. Intensive rotational grazing is one example of that.

you are right! the downside of permaculture is harvest labour cost. it's a polyculture, so it has high yields, but things mature at different rates and can't be mechanically harvested like in a monoculture, thus higher labour rates in harvest and at market. However, it requires virtually no inputs, so low material costs. Thus, it is well suited to the developing world where labour is cheap, but material inputs are unaffordable. it is also well suited to subsistence farming where a staggered maturation is a big advantage.

not competitive with North American factory farming though in labour or product standardization. most likely better in quality though.

Anonymous

Good morning reel.

ac_hithere

Anonymous

Quote from: "reel"
Quote from: "seoulbro"

you are right! the downside of permaculture is harvest labour cost. it's a polyculture, so it has high yields, but things mature at different rates and can't be mechanically harvested like in a monoculture, thus higher labour rates in harvest and at market. However, it requires virtually no inputs, so low material costs. Thus, it is well suited to the developing world where labour is cheap, but material inputs are unaffordable. it is also well suited to subsistence farming where a staggered maturation is a big advantage.

not competitive with North American factory farming though in labour or product standardization. most likely better in quality though.

Most of this is way over my urban, condo dwelling urban head. I will look it up some time.

I am very interested in agricultural innovations though in a world where food demand will double in the next three to four decades.

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "RW"You prairie folk are fucking weird.

They bake too many pies....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"
Quote from: "RW"You prairie folk are fucking weird.

They bake too many pies....

No more pies for this prairie redneck. I lost twenty five pounds recently and I do not intend to gain it back.