Replies: 8530
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 06:52:17 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Frood

Seeing pictures of other posters

Started by Frood, December 14, 2017, 12:27:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"JFK sent them in. LBJ lamented that he got handed a poisoned chalice and it was the reason he refused to stand for a second term. He knew it was wrong, but couldn't do anything about it because by then they were in too deep.

The image of JFK being some handsome and benevolent king of Camelot is not supported by history.

This was his foreign policy principle that lacked any reason other than paranoia.

"The domino theory, which argued that if one country fell to communism, then all of the surrounding countries would follow, was first proposed as policy by the Eisenhower administration.[110] John F. Kennedy, then a U.S. Senator, said in a speech to the American Friends of Vietnam: "Burma, Thailand, India, Japan, the Philippines and obviously Laos and Cambodia are among those whose security would be threatened if the Red Tide of Communism overflowed into Vietnam."[111]"

This was, of course, nonsensical.

After being elected;

"June 1961 — Kennedy said, "Now we have a problem making our power credible and Vietnam looks like the place" to James Reston of The New York Times (immediately after meeting Khrushchev in Vienna).

August 10, 1961 — Test run of U.S. herbicidal warfare program in South Vietnam ("Operation Trail Dust")

October 1961 — Following successful NLF attacks, Defense Secretary Robert S. McNamara recommends sending six divisions (200,000 men) to Vietnam.

February 8, 1962 — The Military Assistance Command Vietnam (MACV) is created by President Kennedy

August 1, 1962 — Kennedy signs the Foreign Assistance Act of 1962, which provides "... military assistance to countries which are on the rim of the Communist world and under direct attack".

" However, Johnson knew that he had inherited a rapidly deteriorating situation in South Vietnam, believing in the widely accepted arguments that were used for defending the South: Should they retreat or appease, either action would imperil other nations beyond the conflict.[1"

Kennedy screwed up, royally, and condemned America to a massive embarrassment which killed thousands of young men. He was not a great President.

If you watch Oliver Stone's JFK they gave the impression Kennedy did not want war in Vietnam. They also insinuate Johnson was of the conspiracy to kill Kennedy.

Bricktop

If Oliver Stone was an historian, rather than a film maker, his version of history might be worthwhile.

Also, if he could be relied on to be subjective, rather than to push a leftist agenda, I might take him seriously.

HERE Shen...Sheesh...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4587/25256643448_23ee98e51c_z.jpg">

Anonymous

Bricktop

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Thank you...a few years back now...

You have a ski jacket on. Where was that picture taken?

Bricktop

Scotland!!! December!!!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4249/34542709223_95a8bb074e_z.jpg">

Right here!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Scotland!!! December!!!

That would explain the jacket. Hey, I remember you said you are of Polish origin. Have you ever been to that part of Europe to explore your roots? I've been to the Ukraine many times. I rented a flat in Kiev for a while for my days off when I worked in Russia.

Bricktop

No. Never have. My wife keeps insisting its time to visit the ancestral homeland. I'd like to do a little more research about where the family came from specifically. We know it was from the north of Poland because the name is traditional from that area. Radciewicz (I'm glad great grandpa anglicised it).

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"No. Never have. My wife keeps insisting its time to visit the ancestral homeland. I'd like to do a little more research about where the family came from specifically. We know it was from the north of Poland because the name is traditional from that area. Radciewicz (I'm glad great grandpa anglicised it).

You will like Poland. They have a real national pride. They don't have the muslim no go zones Western Europe does.

Aryan

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Bricktop"No. Never have. My wife keeps insisting its time to visit the ancestral homeland. I'd like to do a little more research about where the family came from specifically. We know it was from the north of Poland because the name is traditional from that area. Radciewicz (I'm glad great grandpa anglicised it).

You will like Poland. They have a real national pride. They don't have the muslim no go zones Western Europe does.

It's a shame they're a relatively poor country, I don't think it would be a good move financially for a Brit to move there.

Anonymous

Quote from: "SCOUSE"
Quote from: "Herman"

It's a shame they're a relatively poor country, I don't think it would be a good move financially for a Brit to move there.

Their economy is doing pretty good, but it's like the Philippines, it's dependent on foreign remittances. It aint cheap either being part of the Euro zone. The Ukraine was dirt cheap when I had my flat there. I worked 28 days on in Russia and they flew me to Kiev for my 28 days off. It was great connecting with my roots.

Bricktop

I'd better get my skates on...otherwise I'll be too damned old.

Wonder if I qualify for citizenship????

Bricktop

Just checked. Nope. Great grandpa left before 1920.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Just checked. Nope. Great grandpa left before 1920.

They left Poland for Britain?

realgrimm

Quote from: "Bricktop"

HERE Shen...Sheesh...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4587/25256643448_23ee98e51c_z.jpg">

You look like Bryan Cranston