The best topic

Replies: 10399
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Calgarians pull together

Started by Anonymous, June 24, 2013, 07:53:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

We were not affected as badly as many people in Southern Alberta were..

My husband is an electrician and can do all repairs to our home himself and we can afford materials..

There are people in my church who suffered more damage than we did and do not have the resources or skills to fix the damage..

A well to do man in our church who owns a building supply company has offered free building materials to our congregants with limited means..

My husband and other tradesmen have offered to make the repairs for free..

Myself and other members of our church women's group have offered to clean affected homes..

Sometimes it takes a crisis before we see God's love in action..

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"We were not affected as badly as many people in Southern Alberta were..

My husband is an electrician and can do all repairs to our home himself and we can afford materials..

There are people in my church who suffered more damage than we did and do not have the resources or skills to fix the damage..

A well to do man in our church who owns a building supply company has offered free building materials to our congregants with limited means..

Myself and other members of the church's women's group have offered to clean affected homes..

good for you and your husband...if you don't mind sharing...what denomination of church are you attending....

Anonymous

Quote from: "Obvious Li"
Quote from: "Fashionista"We were not affected as badly as many people in Southern Alberta were..

Myself and other members of the church's women's group have offered to clean affected homes..

good for you and your husband...if you don't mind sharing...what denomination of church are you attending....

We used to attend Christian Reformed, but we now fellowship at a Free Reformed church.

Romero

Calgarians rock, Albertans rock, Canadians rock!

Calgarians pulling together, firefighters from Edmonton, bridge rebuilding supplies from BC; Red Cross, Armed Forces and donations from across Canada... plenty to mention.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"Calgarians rock, Albertans rock, Canadians rock!

Calgarians pulling together, firefighters from Edmonton, bridge rebuilding supplies from BC; Red Cross, Armed Forces and donations from across Canada... plenty to mention.

Yes, all Canadians from all corners of the country are donating generously..

I apologize if I was bragging about what my church has done..

That is just my little corner and I know it well.

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Fashionista"

We used to attend Christian Reformed, but we now fellowship at a Free Reformed church.

Thanks.....i studied with a few Christian Reformers when i lived in the USA...i liked their doctrinal approach to life...........

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Thanks.....i studied with a few Christian Reformers when i lived in the USA...i liked their doctrinal approach to life...........

I was raised in a Baptist church, so it was quite different when the Lord opened my heart to Calvinism.

Romero

Quote from: "Fashionista"Yes, all Canadians from all corners of the country are donating generously..

I apologize if I was bragging about what my church has done..

Not at all. I've been so impressed with so many, and it is indeed nice to hear what your family, church and neighbours have been doing.

Anonymous

Canadians have really shown where their hearts are during this disaster in Alberta.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"Not everyone has been so charitable with their time and money.

QuoteCalgary's flooding woes were further exacerbated on Saturday by reports of price-fixing at the hands of greedy merchants, many of whom appeared to be trying to profit from the desperation of people seeking basic supplies.

Enraged citizens took to social media to report being ripped off by some retailers as they tried to stock up on items such as ice, water and food. With shelves in some shops already stripped bare, reports began to surface that some businesses were taking financial advantage of the crisis.

The Twitter hashtag #YYCgreedy began to trend online, a locator reference to Calgary's airport code. Residents took to the micro-blogging service to call for boycotts on certain stores they accused of illegal price-gouging.

A fruit platter at one shop was allegedly being sold for $59, while a liquor store was reportedly hawking a bag of ice for $20.

CBC's Asha Tomlinson, who was monitoring the social media activity, said people had begun taking photos of their receipts as proof, in hopes that businesses engaging in price-gouging will be brought to justice.

'You'll be out of business,' consumers warn

One man photographed a receipt showing that he paid $48.72 for a pack of 24 bottles of water, commenting on twitter, "Talk about taking advantage of a society in crisis."

Peter McPhee tweeted: "It is called Profiteering and several companies in other provinces were convicted in other disasters. Remember that, gougers!"

Brad MacCallum also weighed in: "Think price gouging is a way to make $$? Good luck. You'll be found, pics will be taken, you'll be out of business."

The Calgary police chief says that he's aware of the reports of price-gouging, as is Bruce Burrell, the fire chief and head of the Calgary Emergency Management Agency (CEMA).

"Under the emergency management act in province of Alberta, price-gouging or price-fixing above normal levels during a state of local emergency is illegal and it would take some co-operation between ourselves and police, but individuals could be prosecuted for that," Burrell told local Calgary radio station 660 News.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/06/22/calgary-price-gouging-floods.html">http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/s ... loods.html">http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/06/22/calgary-price-gouging-floods.html

There will always be people who will exploit difficult circumstances for selfish reasons Shen Li..

I heard about this, but I have not seen it..

Most shop owners are ethical people.

Romero

QuoteNaheed Nenshi wears suits to work, not shoulder pads. But the Calgary mayor received an ovation louder than any football player Friday prior to kickoff for the 2013 Stampeders season-opener against the B.C. Lions.

"We've all seen police officers in the 20th hour of their shifts, treating citizens with compassion and professionalism," Nenshi told the crowd of 26,625 at McMahon Stadium. "We've seen public servants working their hearts out to keep us all safe. We've seen citizens of our great city come together like never before to lift up those neighbours of ours that have been dragged down."

"I want to say to all of you, thank-you."

"Are you ready for some football?"

With the full understanding football is merely a game, the Stampeders set out to do their part to give Calgarians a distraction from the massive cleanup.

The men in red did just that, following up the pre-game ceremony to honour first responders - police, fire, ambulance and military - with a commanding 44-32 victory over the Leos.

On Thursday, tailback Jon Cornish pledged to donate $10 per yard gained to the Red Cross for Alberta flood relief. Determined to drain his bank account, Cornish ripped off 13 carries for 108 yards and one catch for 20 yards in the opening 30 minutes.

Remember: Cornish makes CFL money, not NHL millions.

"It was something Calgary needed," Cornish said in a post-game interview. "Any time you can help a community and sort of lift their spirits, it's a very positive thing. For me personally, seeing all the support we had, all of the emotion I felt when Nenshi was talking at the beginning of the game, it was unbelievable to feel it. There was an energy in the air."

"Calgary has distinguished itself by the way it came back from that horrible flood."

The final totals for Cornish: 24 carries for 172 yards and one catch for 20 yards. He owes $1,920 to the Red Cross, but pledged to round that up to $2,000.

Through the 50-50 draw and fan donations, the Stampeders raised $107,268 for the Red Cross flood relief.

And that, on this night, is the score that mattered the most.

http://www.canada.com/news/Cornish+Stamps+give+Calgary+needed+lift/8595797/story.html">//http://www.canada.com/news/Cornish+Stamps+give+Calgary+needed+lift/8595797/story.html

Anonymous

That is wonderful Romero..

My husband's company has raised money for flood relief too..

My brother, his wife and my little nephew are arriving today from Manitoba..

It is not exactly the best time to be visiting Calgary, but my brother is fit and has some carpentry skills..

He wants to pitch in and help.

Romero

Awesome. You've got a great family, Fash!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"Awesome. You've got a great family, Fash!

Oh thank you so much Romero..

I know they would like you too.

Odinson

Quote from: "Fashionista"That is wonderful Romero..

My husband's company has raised money for flood relief too..

My brother, his wife and my little nephew are arriving today from Manitoba..

It is not exactly the best time to be visiting Calgary, but my brother is fit and has some carpentry skills..

He wants to pitch in and help.

Good.