Last post: Today at 06:52:08 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Grubs up - in Singapore.

Started by Bricktop, July 15, 2018, 01:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odinson

Quote from: "caskur"
Quote from: "Odinson"Looks delicious..

Just remember something before eating Asian take-away. They don't use toilet paper to wipe their bums.

Restaurant personnel are forced to wear plastic gloves in here..

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Singapore is a food mecca. Food is a pre-occupation with most Singaporeans, with food stalls, cafe's and restaurants in every corner of the city.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1764/42510961705_7c96fd0b6d.jpg">

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1802/41607498940_5a3ca35646.jpg">

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1767/29544808148_0ea59e7cb8.jpg">

This one's a fave; a soup kitchen.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/843/42510962475_f9cf38888e.jpg">

I don't see a trip to South East Asia on the horizon. But, I would like to see Singapore. It's the safest place in the world and it's in an area of growing islamic extremism. And they city state is 15 per cent muslim to boot. They must keep islam on a short leash.

Bricktop

Singapore is a tiny speck just below 80 million Malaysian muslims. However, Singapore is perhaps the model of a multicultural society that actually works. Every citizen not only has equal rights, but MUST, by law, have equal access to housing. If a new apartment block is built, the owner must reserve a certain number of units for each ethnic group. There is no segregation. Each group has representation in the country's parliament. Muslims live and work alongside Chinese, Malays and Indians. In the third picture down, you will see a muslim woman serving Chinese customers at a HALAL food stall (no pork, no lard according to a sign). No-one feels alienated, no-one is excluded, no-one is treated as anything less than a citizen the same as everyone else.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Singapore is a tiny speck just below 80 million Malaysian muslims. However, Singapore is perhaps the model of a multicultural society that actually works. Every citizen not only has equal rights, but MUST, by law, have equal access to housing. If a new apartment block is built, the owner must reserve a certain number of units for each ethnic group. There is no segregation. Each group has representation in the country's parliament. Muslims live and work alongside Chinese, Malays and Indians. In the third picture down, you will see a muslim woman serving Chinese customers at a HALAL food stall (no pork, no lard according to a sign). No-one feels alienated, no-one is excluded, no-one is treated as anything less than a citizen the same as everyone else.

Malaysia has a population of about thirty two million of which 61.3 per cent is Muslim.

Bricktop

Yep. My mistake. You are correct. Around 30 million. Still, compared to Singapore its still a big neighbour.

Of course, there is also Indonesia. 250 million muslims.

Zetsu

One of the most amazing things I find from Singapore is they have their own military, and larger than I assumed.  ac_cool
Permanently off his rocker

Bricktop

Everybody must do 18 months of military service.

No exceptions, but for health issues.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"One of the most amazing things I find from Singapore is they have their own military, and larger than I assumed.  ac_cool

Their air force pilots are trained at Cold Lake in Northern Alberta.

Zetsu

I never knew military service was mandatory there too, while I bet most parents would think this might be harsh and brutal, but imo I believe joining the army is the greatest way to put any teen into top shape.

It doesn't sound surprising if Canada and Singapore's pilots do joint military training together, when I was a kid my brother always talks about the RCAF pilots being amongst the top in the world.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Zetsu"I never knew military service was mandatory there too, while I bet most parents would think this might be harsh and brutal, but imo I believe joining the army is the greatest way to put any teen into top shape.

It doesn't sound surprising if Canada and Singapore's pilots do joint military training together, when I was a kid my brother always talks about the RCAF pilots being amongst the top in the world.

It takes a lot of space for air force training. That's something Singapore doesn't have.

Bricktop

True. You can't spit in any direction without hitting the ocean.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"True. You can't spit in any direction without hitting the ocean.

It has less than a third of the land space of Hong Kong.

Bricktop

It is a fact that we have farms bigger than Singapore. Yet this tiny speck has more wealth than many countries 100 times its size.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"It is a fact that we have farms bigger than Singapore. Yet this tiny speck has more wealth than many countries 100 times its size.

That is true. Lee Kuan Yew did a hell of a job building Singapore.

Zetsu

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Zetsu"I never knew military service was mandatory there too, while I bet most parents would think this might be harsh and brutal, but imo I believe joining the army is the greatest way to put any teen into top shape.

It takes a lot of space for air force training. That's something Singapore doesn't have.

I never really thought about it, not to mention it might rile up the neighbouring countries up a bit with military exercise at such close proximity, I know China is always sensitive about these kinda stuff.  ac_unsure