The best topic

Replies: 8531
Total votes: : 3

Last post: Today at 01:49:44 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

ATTN: Renee

Started by Chuck Bronson, August 24, 2018, 05:05:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Bricktop

And even more pertinent, we don't camp where dangerous critters live.

We're not allowed to shoot them in any case.

When's the last time you went camping and had recourse for a firearm?

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Renee"

Mel, I've been over this many times with you and you still refuse to get it..

Story of his life.  Mel is a back seat driver.  He will never get it.

When he had that giant STI on his ass, I told him to go to the ER right away and get it dealt with.  But nooo....he had to take expired pain killers and complain about his filthy ass on line.  In the end, he went to the ER.  

Berry 1000      Mel 0

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Bricktop"And even more pertinent, we don't camp where dangerous critters live.

We're not allowed to shoot them in any case.

And that's fine.  Somehow you fail to understand that I don't live where you live.  You often assume the rest of the world looks exactly like what you happen to see when you look out of your back door.  You also assume rules/laws are exactly the same too.  Things are different elsewhere, Brick, whether or not you like it, believe it, or agree with it.

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"He will never get it.

Oh, I got it alright!  Even timed it perfectly for a discounted sale price!

Berry Sweet

Too bad you didn't have it last week....you could've used it to shoot off the massive STI ball on your ass.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"Today I walked into Canadian Tire to buy some gun blue, and I noticed that they had a nice Marlin 1895 lever in 45-70 sitting in the cabinet.  The exact guide gun that you'd recommended.  Blued.

They only sell new, and want $1,000 CDN for it.

It's a nice gun, and I like the style, but here's my problem...  It's not a high powered chambering.  

I made a mental note of all 45-70 ammo available there, but let's take the two Remington loads into account...  One was a 405 gr 'suitable for all rifles'...   Muzzle energy was something like 1600 ft/lb.  The other was a 'high energy' 300 gr load, only for 'newer guns.'  Hot load, right?  No.  Muzzle energy for that round was something like 2,200 ft/lb.

The average .308 or 30-06 is already at around 3000 ft/lb.  MUCH more powerful.

What can I say here?  Even a 303 Brit has more powah!

Mel, I've been over this many times with you and you still refuse to get it. There is more to ballistics and killing power than muzzle energy....a lot more.

To make it relatively easy, here is a formula that is sometimes used to explain or predict bullet performance on game.

Energy (in foot pounds) x Sectional Density (taken from reloading manuals) x cross-sectional area of bullet (in square inches) = Killing Power Score. (Round off to one decimal place) the higher the number the better the chances of a clean kill.

E x SD x CS = KPS

Examples using numbers from my Hornady reloading manual 10th edition, Kindle..  ac_biggrin . These are all calculated using Hornady "Interlock" series of bonded bullets. I started with 130 grain .270 win for shits and giggles because that's my fav.

270 Winchester (130 grain at 3150 fps) - 35.0 KPS

.30-06 Springfield (180 grain at 2700 fps) - 49.2 KPS

AND....

.45-70 Government (405 grain at 1330 fps) - 55.0 KPS

Unfortunately this is only a theoretical guide....by far the determining factor in bringing down any kind of game is bullet placement. The second most important factor is probably bullet terminal performance which is dependant on velocity, bullet shape and construction. The third most important factor is probably the physical and mental state of the game animal in question at the moment it is shot. The formula above takes into account NONE of those factors. But overall the numbers you come up with do tend to mirror (more often than not) real world performance under typical conditions at 100 to 200 yards.

Now as for the Marlin guide gun...if it is a newer rifle, post 2009, I would seriously caution against buying it. It's  a "remlin" (Marlin/Remington) and could have some serious quality control issues. Find yourself a used older model, you'll be happier.

I know this might be a lot for your tiny brain to absorb and it requires you to do some research and math  :shock: ...but don't worry, it's the last time I'm going to go over it with you as well.

I also know that this post will elicit howls of protest,

and gnashing of dentures regarding what is or isnt appropriate topic material, from a certian regular here....But who really gives a fuck, I sure don't.

How's it going Renee?

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "seoulbro"How's it going Renee?

Sorry, Seoul...  Renee only converses with MACHO HAIRY REAL MEN like myself!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"
Quote from: "seoulbro"How's it going Renee?

Sorry, Seoul...  Renee only converses with NACHOS, DAIRY and LEMONS like myself!

Chuck Bronson

Don't feel bad, Seoul.  You ever watch Gran Torino?  Remember when Clint showed the Asian kid how to be a real man?

One day I'll be your Clint Eastwood.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"Don't feel bad, Seoul.  You ever watch Gran Torino?  Remember when Clint showed the Asian kid how to be a real man?

You are shorter than Seoul..

Skinnier too.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"Don't feel bad, Seoul.  You ever watch Gran Torino?  Remember when Clint showed the Asian kid how to be a real man?

You are shorter than Seoul..

Skinnier too.

Mel looks like a bloodclot. Major  :yuk:

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Fashionista"You are shorter than Seoul..

Skinnier too.

I'm 5' 11", and toned as fuck!  If that makes me undesirable, than so be it!

Anonymous

Skinnier too.

You need a ladder to pick strawberries. And skinny as a rail too. Hit the gym dude. No wonder you are single.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Skinnier too.

You need a ladder to pick strawberries. And skinny as a rail too. Hit the gym dude. No wonder you are single.

I have seen short skinny guys with girlfriends, so there's hope for Mel. Not much mind you, but a glimmer.

Chuck Bronson

Anyhow, back to the topic at hand, as I don't have time for Grade 3 behaviour from middle aged to elderly people...

Fitted a quality sling, and the Marlin packs nicely.  You still won't forget you have 7 pounds hanging off your shoulder, but some weight needs to be there to make recoil tolerable.

Will take it for a run at the range next week (weekends are a fucking zoo there), to ensure function and make sure sights are sighted.  Will give the bore a quick clean before I go, and then do a full strip and clean afterwards.

Been meaning to add a decent lever-action to my arsenal, and this one brings back the feel of my stepfathers old Winchester 30-30 lever, which of course he ended up giving to his biological kid...