Replies: 10392
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:39:50 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Only in Australia

Started by Bricktop, September 01, 2018, 08:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

Took a couple of grandkids to a big playground yesterday.

Only in Australia will you seen signs like this at a major community venue.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1841/43506148575_c665442fb5_z.jpg">

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Took a couple of grandkids to a big playground yesterday.

Only in Australia will you seen signs like this at a major community venue.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1841/43506148575_c665442fb5_z.jpg">

And they mean poisonous ones?

Bricktop

Which snakes are poisonous in South Australia?

ALL of them!!!

There are no harmless snakes in this State. Pythons and non-venomous species are in the tropics, up north. Every species in this State are lethal. Hence the signs.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Which snakes are poisonous in South Australia?

ALL of them!!!

There are no harmless snakes in this State. Pythons and non-venomous species are in the tropics, up north. Every species in this State are lethal. Hence the signs.

I thought so.

Bricktop

It would be easy to clear the scrub, cover it in concrete...but we tend to live with our critters. Kids are aware that they must stay away, and if they see a snake to adopt the snake safety response. Stand still, be quiet, and wait for it to move away.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"It would be easy to clear the scrub, cover it in concrete...but we tend to live with our critters. Kids are aware that they must stay away, and if they see a snake to adopt the snake safety response. Stand still, be quiet, and wait for it to move away.

Lots of snakes where I lived in Queensland. But, there weren't people getting killed by them like I saw in other places around the world.

Bricktop

Live and let live...snakes don't want to hurt humans. Just let them slide on by.

realgrimm

I'm sure this pic could only be taken in Australia

EDIT: A Dingo Eating A Shark While Two Snakes Fight To The Death

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbWn2X7UQAA_rjw.jpg">https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DbWn2X7UQAA_rjw.jpg[/img]

Bricktop

Chuck Bronson

They have similar signs now in the Okanagan here, but it's Rattler specific.  Although not usually fatal, you will nonetheless want to avoid getting bit by a Rattle Snake!

Berry Sweet

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"They have similar signs now in the Okanagan here, but it's Rattler specific.  Although not usually fatal, you will nonetheless want to avoid getting bit by a Rattle Snake!

Still banging your ex?

Wazzzup

I lived in a heavily wooded area for a couple of years as a kid.  I saw a garter snake, never a rattler even though I went searching all over the place for beer cans  which i collected.

I hear while the snakes are poisonous, unlike Africa, in AUS they are not aggressive. Like you say leave them lone and they will leave you alone,.  But of course if you step on one by accident or reach under a rock you are going to be sorry. :sad:

Chuck Bronson

Quote from: "Berry Sweet"Still banging your ex?

Nope.  We don't communicate anymore.

Remember though, that I have Uncle and cousins that live there too, so I still visit occasionally...

Frood

Quote from: "Wazzzup"I lived in a heavily wooded area for a couple of years as a kid.  I saw a garter snake, never a rattler even though I went searching all over the place for beer cans  which i collected.

I hear though the snakes are poisonous, unlike Africa, in AUS they are not aggressive. Like you say leave them lone and they will leave you alone,.  But of course if you step on one by accident or reach under a rock you are going to be sorry. :sad:

Tiger snakes can be quite aggressive here. Especially when hot. Sometimes putting distance between them is safer than stop and wait.
Blahhhhhh...

Zetsu

Now I kinda wish I have a pet snake.  ac_cool  Though I bet my quails, dove and finches would hate me for it, lol.
Permanently off his rocker