Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:39:45 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

Has anyone ever served in the military?

Started by Gaon, January 01, 2019, 08:06:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zetsu

Quote from: "feral"
Quote from: "Bricktop"It's the allure of the gun...

Traffic cops sitting in the office taking calls...are allowed to have guns? ac_umm

Cops have a responsibility when it comes to protecting others when they're on duty, or sometimes even off duty.
Permanently off his rocker

Frood

Cops don't have any legal obligation to protect.
Blahhhhhh...

Zetsu

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"Cops don't have any legal obligation to protect.

It really depends on each country and if he have the right equiptment to take action.

Bricktop

Actually, and probably accidentally, Freud is technically correct.

Police officers are not legally compelled to exercise their authority. Every action taken is a matter of discretion.

Police officers cannot be co-erced by any law, or authority. The old Hollywood trope of "Arrest that man" is fiction. Not even the Commissioner of Police can order an officer to act under his legislated powers.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"No traffic in offices.

:laugh:

Zetsu

Quote from: "Bricktop"Actually, and probably accidentally, Freud is technically correct.

Police officers are not legally compelled to exercise their authority. Every action taken is a matter of discretion.

Police officers cannot be co-erced by any law, or authority. The old Hollywood trope of "Arrest that man" is fiction. Not even the Commissioner of Police can order an officer to act under his legislated powers.

Tbh I'm not too familiar with police regulation or protocol outside of Canada, but all I remember is in Toronto is if there's an on or off duty officer witness some kind of crime happening and the officer has his hand gun with him, they have a task at hand to stop the suspect, though my memory could still be playing tricks on me.  ac_umm

Bricktop

A police officer is, in effect, never off duty. His authority is active 24/7, and all powers conferred on him are effective at all times.

Whilst he has no legal responsibility, it may be argued that he has a moral responsibility to intervene when off duty, but that is not always practical, sensible or safe.

It depends on the crime, the environment and the circumstances.

Frood

Aka hypocritical and self indulgent slackers and cowards.
Blahhhhhh...

Gaon

Quote from: "Bricktop"A police officer is, in effect, never off duty. His authority is active 24/7, and all powers conferred on him are effective at all times.

Whilst he has no legal responsibility, it may be argued that he has a moral responsibility to intervene when off duty, but that is not always practical, sensible or safe.

It depends on the crime, the environment and the circumstances.

It's a unique job.
The Russian Rock It

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gaon"
Quote from: "Velvet"
Quote from: "Gaon"I was in the IDF for three years. I was an infantryman. I saw combat in the Second Intifada. And I was in the Battle of Jenin. Thankfully I wasn't injured. But, it's something I will never forget.

Has anyone else served in the military. I think Odinson might have. If you have, please tell us about it.

That's amazing Gaon. Were you awarded a medal?

Israel isn't nearly as generous with medals as Canada and the United States. I was told every Canadian soldier who went to Afghanistan, even in a non combat role, was awarded a medal.

I can't speak to Canadian practice, but I found myself after three years of service wearing seven ribbons on my chest.  Only one of them was for conspicuous performance; the others were related to where I'd been or for serving in an aviation role.  The last medal I received was the Good Conduct medal, generally referred to as the "three years of undetected crime" ribbon.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Peaches"
Quote from: "Gaon"
Quote from: "Velvet"
Quote from: "Gaon"I was in the IDF for three years. I was an infantryman. I saw combat in the Second Intifada. And I was in the Battle of Jenin. Thankfully I wasn't injured. But, it's something I will never forget.

Has anyone else served in the military. I think Odinson might have. If you have, please tell us about it.

That's amazing Gaon. Were you awarded a medal?

Israel isn't nearly as generous with medals as Canada and the United States. I was told every Canadian soldier who went to Afghanistan, even in a non combat role, was awarded a medal.

I can't speak to Canadian practice, but I found myself after three years of service wearing seven ribbons on my chest.  Only one of them was for conspicuous performance; the others were related to where I'd been or for serving in an aviation role.  The last medal I received was the Good Conduct medal, generally referred to as the "three years of undetected crime" ribbon.

So Gaon was right about Canada and the USA being generous with medals.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
So Gaon was right about Canada and the USA being generous with medals.

Evidently so.  I'm agreeing with him about US practice and I don't see any Canadians arguing with him.

Bricktop

They all are. Even Police Departments do it.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"They all are. Even Police Departments do it.

I think even fire departments hand out a lot of medals.

Odinson

My name was spelled wrong in the army newsletter when they published the decorated soldiers list..

I heard about it for the rest of my service.