The best topic

Replies: 10566
Total votes: : 4

Last post: October 06, 2024, 10:32:53 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

COVID-19 >>"True and Helpful" Covid Information Thread

Started by cc, March 13, 2020, 04:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 14 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

The French peresident and the Slovak president have tested positive for the coronavirus.

Anonymous

Sweden has implemented some of the strictest measures yet as cases of the virus there soar.

Anonymous

Alberta had 1352 new infections today and twenty six deaths, continuing a higer daily mortality rate.

Anonymous

Although this strain is more transmissible, it's not more deadly..

The vaccines work for it too.

New coronavirus strain up to 70% more transmissible, government says

New strain does not cause a more serious disease and is unlikely to affect rollout of vaccines

The new strain of coronavirus identified in England is up to 70 per cent more transmissible, prime minister Boris Johnson has said, as the government announced further restrictions to curb the rapid spread of the mutated virus.

Scientists have confirmed that the variant is passed more easily between people than the previously dominant strain, raising concerns that NHS services could be overwhelmed over the Christmas period if the spread of the virus is not slowed.

According to government analysis, more than 60 per cent of new cases in London are currently linked to the new strain. It accounts for 59 per cent of cases in the east and 48 per cent in the southeast.

This has led to a recent jump in hospitalisations across all three regions, professor Chris Whitty, the government's chief medical officer, said during a Downing Street briefing on Saturday.

cc

Quote from: Herman post_id=394710 time=1608419275 user_id=1689
Sweden has implemented some of the strictest measures yet as cases of the virus there soar.

Yes, true. While Sweden was all the talk among the "it's just flu and will run its course crowd" .. "herd immunity" (whatever that really means) bla bla bla (while so many elders died)  .. a country lead by gung ho  wannabe ex spurts who knew little but they took control near the start of it all

Well, it didn't work out so good in the end .. the song has changed

At the same time. after initial bluster, all of a sudden getting its stats became difficult . . stats mainly and conveniently disappeared (the only blank at the top end of the scale) .. the only 1st world country to do that

from telling the world it was all wrong to running silent and even secret now
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: cc post_id=394734 time=1608425771 user_id=88
Quote from: Herman post_id=394710 time=1608419275 user_id=1689

Yes, true. While Sweden was all the talk among the "it's just flu" and will run it's course crowd .. "herd immunity" (whatever that really means) bla bla bla (while so many elders died)

Well, it didn't work out so good in the end .. the song has changed

But, several East Asian countries never had a Western style lock down either.

cc

However Asia didn't just allow everyone to run free .. in fact they did the opposite .. 100% tracking etc  .. isolation of cases and contacts ... testing  .. cell phone movements & notifications etc etc  .. that's how they beat it back

in fact the opposite in Sweden .. Asia took it more seriously than anyone while Sweden took it less seriously of all, even encouraging spread so that it would run its course (supposedly) .. go for herd immunity  :001_rolleyes: etc etc

Sweden early in the game was trying to get everyone through and over it .. encouraged the spread  .. that was their failed strategy .. while Asia did everything to stop spread dead in its tracks .. successfully

Anonymous

Still, I would take Sweden's approach over our never ending code red.

cc

cc

Well ... umm .. ok

They have 1/4 our population and had almost 30%  more deaths (based on their stats from months ago and ours as of today which include current results so it's a "heavily jaded in their direction" comparison)

Sweden is the only country who no longer posts stats it's so bad ... They stopped posting complete daily stats months ago and overall remain static ..

Who knows what current and real stats would show today

They started our talking big  .... then suddenly went silent long ago

I do know that they stopped their initial tactics cold several months ago (and did a total 180)

Months ago the originator scientist of their initial plan did a public apology that he had been dead wrong

Anonymous

There are countries, and American states that have/had hard lock downs with higher death rates than Sweden.

cc

The great original plan failed miserably  & Sweden changed course many months ago.

Many months ago, their "great idea" was 1. nixed, 2. publicly apologized for and 3. drastically changed 180 degrees   = during the summer slow down we all got, their numbers while not great have come down  from the original disaster

The "great plan" is now ancient history ... and is now merely a bitter example of what to NOT do

I do wish we could all handle it like SE Asia, but that is a different world with different ways

Anonymous

How can Canada, US states, and some European countries criticize Sweden when what we have done has killed just as many people from COVID and more people from non-COVID.

cc

I have said nothing about them until it was suggested they had a great plan. I responded as Sweden itself had said it failed miserably

Other countries are not criticising them. They have other things to worry about. Canada has done a lot better than most of them overall, but still nothing to brag about .. especially currently  . .yet still has far less than 1/2 the per capita deaths

When they implemented their great plan they immediately took the lead in dead  people  .. Think back to the early days of this whole plague and you will recall how they killed people faster than they could bury them .. and at that time like no other country...  during the time their great plan was in action

It was their plan originator who said "it failed" and "apologized to his country for his mistake" .. not I .. and then they did a 180 and played straight ball instead of wonky theory and got the numbers down  to reasonable

Meanwhile some other countries are not criticizing them either  .. rather are blowing it like Sweden did in the early days ..

Just look @ the US #s for example .. mainly states following Sweden''s defunct and now abandoned plan, quickly caught up to, surpassed and left Sweden in the dust. 17,800 deaths a month last week in fact .. and that's OK?

UK tried it also, and now has the worse ratio in the entire first world. They  have now caught up to Italy who got creamed last spring  before they knew what hit them

Meantime Sweden has been playing it smart for quite a while now  .. long enough to have somewhat improved numbers for which they deserve credit..

That's it

As the head of the CCD said today, "no one has or will ever  outsmart this virus. Only vaccines ASAP can bring relief"

Anonymous

Quote from: "iron horse jockey" post_id=394754 time=1608443421 user_id=2015
How can Canada, US states, and some European countries criticize Sweden when what we have done has killed just as many people from COVID and more people from non-COVID.

I don't believe the Swedish is worse than say Britain or France that are in and out of hard lockdowns.