News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10413
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 02:03:25 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Should the Divorce Laws in Canada and the USA be overhauled?

Started by J0E, December 30, 2015, 01:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 7 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

J0E

Here's one sad man's tale which has made me consider this idea....

One of my friends who is divorced still owes his Ex-Wife/Province of British Columbia in Canada over $40,000 in child support

..and he hasn't slept with or been with her for nearly 20 years.

And he's paid over $300,000 so far.

The courts really struck it to him & have made him pay - Big Time.

He's gonna be paying this debt until he dies.

He related these details when I went to see him and his present wife last night.

Even she sided with him, and thought the system is out of whack with his situation and reality.

He can't even get a driver's license as the province took it away, so his present wife drives him everywhere.

He can't have a passport either as he's considered a flight risk who will leave the country and shirk his responsibilities.

It used to be that marriage meant til death do us part.

Now, it seems that divorce/alimony/child support is they only thing a man can hope to take to the grave.

Anyways, his ex has really stuck it to him and now is sure making him pay for his misery.

Oh well.

Anonymous

Quote from: "J0E"Here's one sad man's tale which has made me consider this idea....

One of my friends who is divorced still owes his Ex-Wife/Province of British Columbia in Canada over $40,000 in child support

He related these details when I went to see him and his present wife last night.

Even she sided with him, and thought the system is out of whack with his situation and reality.

He can't even get a driver's license as the province took it away, so his present wife drives him everywhere.

He can't have a passport either as he's considered a flight risk who will leave the country and shirk his responsibilities.

Now, it seems that divorce/alimony/child support is they only thing a man can hope to take to the grave.

Anyways, his ex has really stuck it to him and now is sure making him pay for his misery.

Oh well.

Yes, I would like to see it become more difficult to get married and divorced.

Bricktop

Quote from: "J0E"Here's one sad man's tale which has made me consider this idea....

Oh well.

Reference?

Here in Oz, there is no such thing as alimony. Only child support, which ceases when the child turns 16 unless the Court orders otherwise. There is no need to prove fault in a divorce application.

If a man fails to pay child support, he rightfully gets income garnished, and can be prevented from decamping overseas (Only if in default).

It seems odd that he has been paying for 20 years. What's he paying for? Child support for adults?

J0E

2 of his children are still living at home with the mother.

They are over the age of 18.

She appears to want them to stay with her, otherwise if they move out, then she will lose the benefit of the child support.

She works, has a job which pays more than her ex husband.

Quote from: "Mr Crowley"

Oh well.

Reference?

Here in Oz, there is no such thing as alimony. Only child support, which ceases when the child turns 16 unless the Court orders otherwise. There is no need to prove fault in a divorce application.

If a man fails to pay child support, he rightfully gets income garnished, and can be prevented from decamping overseas (Only if in default).

It seems odd that he has been paying for 20 years. What's he paying for? Child support for adults?

Anonymous

Oh well.

Reference?

Maybe there is more than one child.

J0E

He had 8 children.

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Oh well.

Reference?

Maybe there is more than one child.

Lydo Wolf

RW

Oh well.

Reference?

Back child support maybe?  Long standing arrears?  They will get you either way.

I believe we have alimony but I'm not sure.  I know a spouse can be entitled to portions of a divorced spouse's pension benefits.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"

Oh well.

Reference?

Back child support maybe?  Long standing arrears?  They will get you either way.

I believe we have alimony but I'm not sure. I know a spouse can be entitled to portions of a divorced spouse's pension benefits.

I heard that.

Renee

For every screwed over divorced father there is probably at least double that number of screwed over mothers raising children alone from failed unions. While I believe the courts can be somewhat biased toward mothers and children, its the men who thought they were going to be free and clear of their responsibilities by divorcing their spouse who are the real problem.

I know several divorced women who have to scratch and claw for every dime that is owed to their kids because the father is a deadbeat or they simply have a lackadaisical attitude toward their responsibilities.

As it's been already said by the wolf dude...."real men pay their child support".
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"For every screwed over divorced father there is probably at least double that number of screwed over mothers raising children alone from failed unions. While I believe the courts can be somewhat biased toward mothers and children, its the men who thought they were going to be free and clear of their responsibilities by divorcing their spouse who are the real problem.

I know several divorced women who have to scratch and claw for every dime that is owed to their kids because the father is a deadbeat or they simply have a lackadaisical attitude toward their responsibilities.

As it's been already said by the wolf dude...."real men pay their child support".

Divorce is such an ugly thing Renee, even when it's necessary..

We have several divorced families in our church and they are the ones I know of..

It should be harder to get married.

Renee

Quote from: "Renee"For every screwed over divorced father there is probably at least double that number of screwed over mothers raising children alone from failed unions. While I believe the courts can be somewhat biased toward mothers and children, its the men who thought they were going to be free and clear of their responsibilities by divorcing their spouse who are the real problem.

We have several divorced families in our church and they are the ones I know of..

How so?
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

If you have to be separated from someone for over a year before you can divorce, maybe you should have to be with someone for over a year before you can get married.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"

How so?

I was wondering that too.

How would that be accomplished? Minimum age and length of relationship requirements? Proof of financial means? Compatibility testing? Lie detector tests?

J0E

Ironically, the new Divorce laws can be as much as a trap for the women as the men.

Women with wealth are finding themselves trapped in having to make large alimony payments to their exes as well:

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtK1l0cYhV4

QuoteScreen Actors Guild has Anne Heche concerned about her finances.  So concerned, in fact, she recently petitioned a California Superior Court to reduce and/or suspend the nearly $15,000-per-month support payments she was previously ordered to make to ex-husband Coley Laffoon and their 6-year-old son Homer.

The judge overseeing the case granted Anne's request, at least in part, when she was given a reprieve yesterday from making the next payment — which would have covered the month of July.  Anne, who turns 39 later this month, was ordered to provide detailed income and expense information to the court going forward.  

It is somewhat similar to a case in Canada, where Nickelback band member Chad Kroeger is paying $10,000 a month to an ex-girlfriend, a hairdresser whom he had a relationship with but no children:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/music/nickelbacks-kroeger-ordered-to-pay-ex-25000-a-month/article580957/">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/mus ... cle580957/">http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/music/nickelbacks-kroeger-ordered-to-pay-ex-25000-a-month/article580957/

">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4uZSLwEO8E

QuoteA judge has ordered Nickelback frontman Chad Kroeger to pay $25,000 a month to his former common-law wife, more than doubling the spousal support payments the multimillionaire musician was already paying.

The ruling is temporary until the final amount is determined at trial, currently scheduled for August.

Kroeger, 36, and Marianne Goriuk, 40, separated in September 2009 after a relationship that spanned almost seven years. They met at a Nickelback concert in Edmonton in 2002.

Kroeger had been paying Goriuk $10,000 a month, but she argued that wasn't enough, considering the couple's lavish lifestyle during their relationship and Kroeger's annual income of roughly $9.7 million.

She had asked for about $96,000 a month.

....point being, regardless of gender, once they are no longer married or living together, any financial compensation beyond a substantial one time setup payment should end. Making an ex pay to another ex, is the equivalent of receiving a handsome inheritance, spending it all, and then expecting the dead person to ante up from the grave and keep paying the recipient more, because they demanded it from them.