The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Driverless cars - yea or nay

Started by easter bunny, January 18, 2016, 08:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you comfortable with the idea of self-driving cars?

Yes
3 (37.5%)
No
5 (62.5%)
Not sure
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: January 18, 2016, 08:13:51 PM

easter bunny

Personally I want nothing to do with them. They say that ignorance is bliss and unfortunately I know a little bit too much about how these things work. It only takes one bad connection (in a device with billions of them) to ruin your day, and I don't think they are anywhere near as safe as their designers purport them to be.

As prone as we humans are to making mistakes, no machine will ever be able to match the amount of built in redundancy we have and our ability to deal with the unexpected, at least not in the foreseeable future.

RW

We are a ways off yet but as a person who could be physically disabled in the future, I'm looking forward to the technology.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"Personally I want nothing to do with them. They say that ignorance is bliss and unfortunately I know a little bit too much about how these things work. It only takes one bad connection (in a device with billions of them) to ruin your day, and I don't think they are anywhere near as safe as their designers purport them to be.

As prone as we humans are to making mistakes, no machine will ever be able to match the amount of built in redundancy we have and our ability to deal with the unexpected, at least not in the foreseeable future.

The idea scares me. I would lean towards no in your poll at this point in time.

easter bunny

Quote from: "RW"We are a ways off yet but as a person who could be physically disabled in the future, I'm looking forward to the technology.

The problem is that safety always ends up taking a back seat to profiteering. If they could solve that problem..

RW

I'm not convinced it's even going to happy.  When it comes to driving, safety is paramount.
Beware of Gaslighters!

easter bunny

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "easter bunny"Personally I want nothing to do with them. They say that ignorance is bliss and unfortunately I know a little bit too much about how these things work. It only takes one bad connection (in a device with billions of them) to ruin your day, and I don't think they are anywhere near as safe as their designers purport them to be.

The idea scares me. I would lean towards no in your poll at this point in time.

It scares me too. I have this image of trying to avoid a collision with some automated thing coming straight at me 'thinking' that it's doing the right thing.  ac_unsure

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"
Quote from: "RW"We are a ways off yet but as a person who could be physically disabled in the future, I'm looking forward to the technology.

The problem is that safety always ends up taking a back seat to profiteering. If they could solve that problem..

Nothing could be further from the truth. The lack of safety is a huge expense for any company. Just ask Maine Montreal and Atlantic Railway. It is much cheaper to do it right the first time than pay big for a mistake.

RW

This technology is already in vehicles to a degree with parallel parking assist and distance maintaining cruise control.
Beware of Gaslighters!

easter bunny

Quote from: "RW"I'm not convinced it's even going to happy.  When it comes to driving, safety is paramount.

Safety is always paramount until people get used to everything working the way it's supposed to. Then they become complacent and the corner cutting begins. I'm watching it happen with the space program. Privately owned rockets? Wtf?  ac_wot

Anonymous

Gawd, you display a shocking ignorance of common sense Safety IS good for profits you moron. :crazy:

Bricktop

In other words, should we rely on robots to transport us around?

Hell, NO. The auto industry is generally pretty good at implementing safety and efficiency innovations in their products, but taking the driver's control away is stupid. Some may point to the skies, and argue that the aircraft are essentially pilotless, but flying an aircraft in a huge open sky where there are no intersections, junctions, aircraft approaching directly from head on, trees, rain, ice and pedestrians is a far less complex task than manoeuvring a car in a busy road system.

We do need to move away from a transport system that facilitates independently operated units to one that uses a common vehicle that is part of a programmed grid, but the car itself is not suitable for that.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Gawd, you display a shocking ignorance of common sense Safety IS good for profits you moron. :crazy:

He is not the only one that thinks like that. It is just a misunderstanding. He seems like an ok guy.

easter bunny

Quote from: "RW"This technology is already in vehicles to a degree with parallel parking assist and distance maintaining cruise control.

Anything that can override my control and cause the vehicle to go in a direction I don't want it to is dangerous imo. I don't even like anti-lock brakes. =(

easter bunny

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "Shen Li"

He is not the only one that thinks like that. It is just a misunderstanding. He seems like an ok guy.

Anyone who thinks that safety comes before profit is naive.

Renee

Absolutely no driverless car for me.

If I run someone over I want to be in control of the vehicle when I do it.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.