News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10340
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 03:33:17 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Biggie Smiles

39C and thunderstorms; Welcome to Autumn in Oz.

Started by Bricktop, March 06, 2016, 01:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Mona"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Shen Li"We came close to immigrating to Aus. Based on Daddy's occupation at the time, my parents thought his prospects would be better in Canada.

A lot of Taiwanese live in Brisbane.

The Chinese also favour it. Apparently the tail of the dragon is a fortuitous positioning. Whole suburbs have been taken over, and the Asian drug trade in those areas is booming. Everyone else stays out of their way, or moves well out of the area.

I have friends back in Taiwan who have relatives in Brisbane..

They never said anything about crime..

ac_dunno  

They are in professional jobs in Queensland.

Mona

Obviously your friends have chosen a good area to settle. There's good and bad in every city, and the bad seeds are only a very small percentage of the overall culture.

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"We came close to immigrating to Aus. Based on Daddy's occupation at the time, my parents thought his prospects would be better in Canada.

The Chinese also favour it. Apparently the tail of the dragon is a fortuitous positioning. Whole suburbs have been taken over, and the Asian drug trade in those areas is booming. Everyone else stays out of their way, or moves well out of the area.

Maybe bake them some cupcakes? ac_dunno
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"

That's what I would do.

ac_smile

Mona

That's what I would do.

ac_smile

A. I don't live near the area I'm referring to.

And B.  I don't bake. I barely cook, and that's out of necessity and under duress.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

That's what I would do.

ac_smile

A. I don't live near the area I'm referring to.

And B.  I don't bake. I barely cook, and that's out of necessity and under duress.

Oh well, I figured it was worth a shot since I've been told that in Oz you can turn motorcycle gangs into good neighbors by giving them a few homemade baked goods.

Maybe it works for Asian drug lords too? How are you going to know if you don't try? ac_dunno  ac_biggrin
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Consider it fucking payback for the opium trade. ac_sothere

Mona

Quote from: "Shen Li"

Consider it fucking payback for the opium trade. ac_sothere

ac_toofunny

Mona

Quote from: "Renee"Oh well, I figured it was worth a shot since I've been told that in Oz you can turn motorcycle gangs into good neighbors by giving them a few homemade baked goods.

Maybe it works for Asian drug lords too? How are you going to know if you don't try? ac_dunno  ac_biggrin

If I baked cupcakes for any neighbours, they would turn into mortal enemies and assume that I was trying to poison them, at least after trying them, they would.

I've never had any problems with bikers.  There are some gangs around, but for the most part the whole "biker gang" thing is over-exaggerated to the point that they now consider anyone with a bike to be a gang... and there's laws now about people who've been associated with bikies to be able to be arrested for associating in public (ie:  there were three men on holiday to Queensland from Victoria- who were related/friends - who were arrested having an icecream in a beachfront shop because there were three of them together at once.   They were breaking no laws, other than being seen together in public.

And actually, biker gangs make the best neighbours, they don't shit in their own backyards, and are careful to create a good rapport with the neighbours to avoid constant police raids due to complaints, and nobody else is game enough to commit a crime in their turf, so it's the safest place to live.  Unless they start a war with a rival gang, of course, which rarely happens.

Twenty Dollars

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"Oh well, I figured it was worth a shot since I've been told that in Oz you can turn motorcycle gangs into good neighbors by giving them a few homemade baked goods.

If I baked cupcakes for any neighbours, they would turn into mortal enemies and assume that I was trying to poison them, at least after trying them, they would.

I've never had any problems with bikers.  There are some gangs around, but for the most part the whole "biker gang" thing is over-exaggerated to the point that they now consider anyone with a bike to be a gang... and there's laws now about people who've been associated with bikies to be able to be arrested for associating in public (ie:  there were three men on holiday to Queensland from Victoria- who were related/friends - who were arrested having an icecream in a beachfront shop because there were three of them together at once.   They were breaking no laws, other than being seen together in public.

And actually, biker gangs make the best neighbours, they don't shit in their own backyards, and are careful to create a good rapport with the neighbours to avoid constant police raids due to complaints, and nobody else is game enough to commit a crime in their turf, so it's the safest place to live.  Unless they start a war with a rival gang, of course, which rarely happens.

I read about Australia having a problem with  outlaw motorcycle gangs. It might have been exaggerated.

Bricktop

They've been outlawed...literally.

Gone to ground for the most part. Some were foreign nationals. Over 1200 deported, mostly to NZ.

Mona

Quote from: "Twenty Dollars"Harley's or Hondas?

Most of the gangs run Harleys.   But the people I know that ride prefer Triumphs, Victories and Indians.