Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

What's on your current wishlist?

Started by Zetsu, April 12, 2018, 10:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazor

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Of course you would gladly take the same pay if you were closer to home. Who wouldn't.

True lol. Im also WAY WAY past due for a pay raise. Around here I doubt I'll find any higher than what I currently make... $15hr.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

Tomorrow I can cross a wish off my list. Last day of the winter drilling season ac_dance

Zetsu

Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "Zetsu"

Jeeps are just plain awesome IMO.  ac_cool  Not to mention I like how they  can handle really tough situations that most cars can never handle.  We used to have a Cherokee jeep too and my brother was a crappy driver, due to his awful driving he got into 4 very serious car accidents but 3 out of the 4 incidents our jeep never suffered any damage/dents etc except for a bit of paint loss, while the other cars unfortunately got crushed opened.  And then there's the fun plowing through snow barriers or thick mud puddles, lol.  Being an ex-jeep owners I can understand why you'd choose a jeep too.  ac_cool

lol Xp might be old, but imo it still beats Vista and Windows 8/9 and 10.  I miss how resource efficent xp is compared to the newer windows.  My cousin happens to be a fan of DAoC and Wow too, though I got hooked into Everquest and Guild Wars 2 and currently waiting for the new Pantheon MMO coming out this year.  I wanted to try out Elder Scroll Online too but heard it was very bland, sadly there just doesn't seem to be any good MMOs for now since WoW took the throne, lets just hope Pantheon can keep their promise.  ac_unsure

I always wanted a Jeep, since I was younger. I finally got mine 12 years ago, and now Im hooked lol. Not much on the newer Jeeps, they seem to be getting bigger and fancier. I like my TJ, or a CJ mode, small and capable.

If I ever had a Cherokee, I would like one of the older 2 door models.

You're darn tootin' on what that thing can do lol! I've forded a river with water up to my headlights, crawled over rocks and trees, driven in snow almost 2 feet deep, climbed mountains, it always impresses me and gets me anywhere. I love taking the top off like I did today, and the doors off. The windshield also folds down. I wanna keep it going as long as I can, for if it ever died, a piece of me would die lol.

I like parking on piled up snow banks in parking lots lol.

You're right, those things are extremely tough. I hit a guard rail one time sliding on ice, damn state plow contributed to me doing this by throwing debris on me like a tidal wave. I was worried I fucked it up, my son told me "dad, those things were dropped from planes in the war, its fine"  :laugh:

I know you're right on XP! I really dont wanna upgrade lololol, but damn it, everything is ending support for it. I cant do my taxes or watch Vudu, etc. Everything requires at least 7. Thinking of upgrading to 7 or 8 just to get by til I get a new puter, and stay with 8 maybe. I hear 10 super sucks with ads and such.

I played DAoC for 4 years! I was a champ at that Im serious lol, maxed out. My damage caster was Aforce Tareckonwith and my tank was Nottoday Nortomorrow  :laugh:

Hate to hear that on Elder Scrolls online. I liked DAoC for the 3 realm assaults and such, storming castles, and I heard ES was like that. Wow is ok, mostly graphic wise, and quest line.

That's the thing I like about American cars  ac_cool , especially for Jeeps it always feels like the best of your nation's culture and experience is passed onto this one vehicle.  Japan might have nicer quality control, but when it comes to toughness, durability and power I can't think of any car that comes close to American 4x4s.

Think xp update support has ended about 10 years ago, and I'm kind of surprised you can still post on TBC with it  :001_tongue: .  I wouldn't consider recommending Windows 10 since it's mainly designed for tablet/touch screen PCs, while on traditional laptop it offers too many incompatible features.  But yea 7 would be the best out there for regular computers, has the nice graphics of vista and the resource efficiency of xp.  ac_cool
Permanently off his rocker

cc

XP was a good system  ... still is for "low demand" usage and programs it can deal with

7 was a very clean smooth runner and could deal with some of the more modern programs  .. many went back to it from from early 8

That said, 10 meets the same standard (very clean smooth runner and could deal with some of the more modern programs) and is much faster, speed being almost a "need" for many newer and larger applications ... AutoCAD being an excellent example

My 10 pro runs beaut .. and is very fast on huge programs using huge files and performing huge calculations .. and runs stable all the time

On a solid state drive (the cheapest and most dramatic speed item that exists)  it flies, making huge tasks seem small

The best (and the "right") version for anyone is the one that does the jobs they need it to do, and does them  well and fast enough
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "Herman"Tomorrow I can cross a wish off my list. Last day of the winter drilling season ac_dance

Yes, the busy winter season is over at my husband's shop too..

Not that it was that busy this winter.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "cc"7 was a very clean smooth runner and could deal with some of the more modern programs  .. many went back to it from from early 8

I built my last build with Windows 7 in mind, since I will run it until it is no longer supported.

High end Skylake (i7-6700K @ 4.00 GHz) processor was what I had to settle for, as that is the last processor line that Microsoft will officially 'allow' to run Windows 7 with, but is nonetheless powerful enough to keep me going for some time.  My Mobo can overclock that chip, should I ever need more.  I will run Windows 7 until the bitter end.

Windows 7, hands down, is the best O/S that Microsoft has released to date, and I can run any O/S that I want to.

Hopefully the idiots at Microsoft release a proper O/S before Windows 7 support ends in 2020.

Zetsu

Quote from: "cc"XP was a good system  ... still is for "low demand" usage and programs it can deal with

7 was a very clean smooth runner and could deal with some of the more modern programs  .. many went back to it from from early 8

That said, 10 meets the same standard (very clean smooth runner and could deal with some of the more modern programs) and is much faster, speed being almost a "need" for many newer and larger applications ... AutoCAD being an excellent example

My 10 pro runs beaut .. and is very fast on huge programs using huge files and performing huge calculations .. and runs stable all the time

On a solid state drive (the cheapest and most dramatic speed item that exists)  it flies, making huge tasks seem small

The best (and the "right") version for anyone is the one that does the jobs they need it to do, and does them  well and fast enough

But now that you  mentioned it I'd have to admit Win 10 isn't that bad as I thought,  ac_cool  though there's not much new features for regular PCs, but I have to admit the customizable tile features are really nice, but kind of miss the glass UI from the Vista and Seven OS, though Wins 10 still has a nice futuristic look to it.
Permanently off his rocker

cc

Main thing is that 10 is more stable, very much faster ... and runs newer heavy duty upscale software ... AND does not get all squishy and boggy after a lot of heavy use

With the high use we do, 7 and all others had to be re-installed from scratch to clean them up at least every 6 months (or less) ... 10, never so far  ... and it still starts up and closes in very few seconds

Yes, 7 was good ... and still is for light to medium duty.  If you "need" a strong horse to ride, 10 is FAR better in every way

if you don't, 7 is good

BTW. We've used 7 soon as it came out and used it for years ... I can also say that we have been using 10 since summer of 2015 when it came out.

So I can say that we have  experienced "both of them for a good period of time" ... and from the earliest builds through to the latest ones

Angry White Male

I don't want an O/S that was designed for phones.  I don't want an O/S that spies on my every move.

I want a proper desktop O/S, and 7 was the last one that was designed as such.

I have no problems with 'squish or bog.'  It's fast, but I keep my shit running light and tight!

Angry White Male

What would be interesting, CC, is if we would both do a stress test on our systems, and compare the results...

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Main thing is that 10 is more stable, very much faster ... and runs newer heavy duty upscale software ... AND does not get all squishy and boggy after a lot of heavy use

With the high use we do, 7 and all others had to be re-installed from scratch to clean them up at least every 6 months (or less) ... 10, never so far  ... and it still starts up and closes in very few seconds

Yes, 7 was good ... and still is for light to medium duty.  If you "need" a strong horse to ride, 10 is FAR better in every way

if you don't, 7 is good

BTW. We've used 7 soon as it came out and used it for years ... I can also say that we have been using 10 since summer of 2015 when it came out.

So I can say that we have  experienced "both of them for a good period of time" ... and from the earliest builds through to the latest ones

We still have 7 on one of our computers..

I'm used to 10 now, but I prefer 7.

Angry White Male

7 is the last real desktop O/S...  Supported until 2020, and I will not switch before that...

Blazor

Quote from: "Zetsu"

Think xp update support has ended about 10 years ago, and I'm kind of surprised you can still post on TBC with it  :001_tongue: .  I wouldn't consider recommending Windows 10 since it's mainly designed for tablet/touch screen PCs, while on traditional laptop it offers too many incompatible features.  But yea 7 would be the best out there for regular computers, has the nice graphics of vista and the resource efficiency of xp.  ac_cool

Lol, I can still post!

Thanks to you and Angry, I think I'll just upgrade to 7. Though I'll still have to do a clean install, coming from XP.

I have Adobe Creative Suite 4 on it, and I hear its not compatible on 10 either.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Bricktop

Guys...guys...

Save yourself the stress and energy...

http://www.gifmania.co.uk/Technology-Animated-Gifs/Animated-Computing/Apple/Apple-Logos/Metal-Apple-Logo-52649.gif">

cc

Few are interested. No market for Apple apps as too few users and virtually ZERO engineering firms use it ... have had only ONE question re: apple in all these years ... and I never got to find out if he even had AutoCAD  .... pretty rare for apples  .. . not sure if it  even runs it well  .. it's a non starter for what our clients do

Quote from: "Angry White Male"What would be interesting, CC, is if we would both do a stress test on our systems, and compare the results...

Our techies do tests every time a new AutoCAD or Windows comes out

We have to test our  product on all platforms. Originally started on XP compatible  ... upgraded as software increased in size through the years ... 10 blows any previous system out of the water ... Even 8 was faster  than 7 ... although 7 was more reliable than 8 or 8.1 .... the speed comparison numbers for high loading  on 7, 8 and 10 are dramatic

Again, nothing wrong with 7  .. its very stable .... great if a 6 cylinder engine turns your crank, so to speak  ... & meets your needs

Tests? Been there done that ... each year for over a decade now  ... we have to methodically test on all platforms

Aside: One can run some Solid State /drives on 7 - it's very solid when the drive is right ... just be sure TRIM is installed and made active. We used them toward the end of the 7 era

Also: I did like 7 back then - unfortunately it's just  too slow for what we do now

Blaze: If you are running XP now I suspect that you will enjoy 7 even more ... not sure for how much longer it will be supported for tomorrow's security threats