Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Should I pack this in bear country?

Started by Angry White Male, May 04, 2018, 02:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renee

Quote from: "Angry White Male"I don't know, Renee...  I checked out some ballistics numbers, and your beloved .45-70 round has about 2,300 ft/lbs of energy @ muzzle, while the 12 Gauge slugs I posted have about 2,900 ft/lb @ muzzle.  Clearly the 12 Gauge slug is a harder hitting round (at close range).

Now, while I do agree that a well-placed shot is critical for instant death, remember that I am not a hunter.  Hunting would generally permit someone the time to place a well-placed shot, provided you can shoot (I can shoot very well, but hunting live game is not my thing...  Have nothing against responsible hunters).

When carrying solely for defense, I question anyone's ability to get in a perfectly placed shot when you may only have a few seconds to live.  Generally in these situations one just simply aims at center mass, and unloads as many rounds as you can.  In this type of scenario, I would imagine a 12 Gauge slug as being no less effective than many of the big bore, high powered reifle rounds...

Prove me wrong.

Mel, you're stuck on one aspect of terminal performance and it's one of lesser importance. In order to inflict as much damage as possible on dangerous game you have to use a round that deforms yet retains it's weight and mass so that it obtains optimal penetration. A 12 gauge slug on average is too soft to retain it's mass while achieving proper penetration. Soft slugs tend to deform rapidly on impact thus impeding penetration. Now if you insist on using a shotgun it is my understanding that the 20ga sabot rounds from companies Brenneki out perform most 12 ga slugs for accuracy and penetration. Either way, given the choice, I personally would not want to face down a big brown with a shotgun of any kind. You do what you want but at least get a barrel for that pump gun that is more optimal for shooting slugs.

Now as to your idea that just because a 12ga slug may move a little faster than a 45-70 govt....well just remember that the 45-70 started it's life in the 19th century as a black powder round and in its over 100 years of existance it has been used successfully on everything from whitetail deer to elephants. Can the same be said for the 12ga....no, sorry. :nea:
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Rancidmilko

There\'s always a bigger fish.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Angry White Male"I don't know, Renee...  I checked out some ballistics numbers, and your beloved .45-70 round has about 2,300 ft/lbs of energy @ muzzle, while the 12 Gauge slugs I posted have about 2,900 ft/lb @ muzzle.  Clearly the 12 Gauge slug is a harder hitting round (at close range).

Now, while I do agree that a well-placed shot is critical for instant death, remember that I am not a hunter.  Hunting would generally permit someone the time to place a well-placed shot, provided you can shoot (I can shoot very well, but hunting live game is not my thing...  Have nothing against responsible hunters).

When carrying solely for defense, I question anyone's ability to get in a perfectly placed shot when you may only have a few seconds to live.  Generally in these situations one just simply aims at center mass, and unloads as many rounds as you can.  In this type of scenario, I would imagine a 12 Gauge slug as being no less effective than many of the big bore, high powered reifle rounds...

Prove me wrong.

Mel, you're stuck on one aspect of terminal performance and it's one of lesser importance. In order to inflict as much damage as possible on dangerous game you have to use a round that deforms yet retains it's weight and mass so that it obtains optimal penetration. A 12 gauge slug on average is too soft to retain it's mass while achieving proper penetration. Soft slugs tend to deform rapidly on impact thus impeding penetration. Now if you insist on using a shotgun it is my understanding that the 20ga sabot rounds from companies Brenneki out perform most 12 ga slugs for accuracy and penetration. Either way, given the choice, I personally would not want to face down a big brown with a shotgun of any kind. You do what you want but at least get a barrel for that pump gun that is more optimal for shooting slugs.

Now as to your idea that just because a 12ga slug may move a little faster than a 45-70 govt....well just remember that the 45-70 started it's life in the 19th century as a black powder round and in its over 100 years of existance it has been used successfully on everything from whitetail deer to elephants. Can the same be said for the 12ga....no, sorry. :nea:

This is why America desperately needs gun control. And in Renee's case, mouth control.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Red_brazilian_nut"Can't we all just get bazookas?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4f/Bazooka_gum.jpg/1200px-Bazooka_gum.jpg">

No, because it's bad for your teeth.

Bricktop

Especially if it is 20 years old!!!

1998???

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Especially if it is 20 years old!!!

1998???

Have they made it since then.

kiebers

Quote from: "Velvet"
Quote from: "Bricktop"Especially if it is 20 years old!!!

1998???

Have they made it since then.

They still make it. They stopped the comic strip in 2011 but still make the gum with a brain teaser on the wrapper.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Blazor

Quote from: "kiebers"
They still make it. They stopped the comic strip in 2011 but still make the gum with a brain teaser on the wrapper.

The comic strip was the best part back then lol.

Bubble Yum was always too yummy, and made ya wanna swallow it lol.

Chicklets (sp?) were good, but the flavor went away too quickly, and you wound up eating the whole pack in a sitting lol.

Another fave when I was a kid, was that Big Leauge Chew gum. Came in a pouch, shredded.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

kiebers

Super bubble was a good one too. Only reason to go get a haircut when I was very young...LOL

Hadn't thought about Chicklets in a long time. They were close to Juicy Fruit in taste or at least the tiny size was.
I've learned that if someone asks you a really stupid question and you reply by telling them what time it is, they'll leave you alone

Blazor

Quote from: "kiebers"Super bubble was a good one too. Only reason to go get a haircut when I was very young...LOL

Hadn't thought about Chicklets in a long time. They were close to Juicy Fruit in taste or at least the tiny size was.

Wasnt it the fruit striped gum, that you could eat the paper lol? One of 'em use to dissolve.

Do they even make the candy cigs anymore? I remember the gum ones, that you could blow out, and a lil puff of smoke would come out lol.
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Anonymous

I usually have a pack of Dentyne in my purse.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Blazor"
Do they even make the candy cigs anymore?

They had them here many years ago, but are verboten now.

They were called...and this is true..."Fags".

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"
Do they even make the candy cigs anymore?

They had them here many years ago, but are verboten now.

They were called...and this is true..."Fags".

I've never seen candy cigarettes.

kiebers

Do they even make the candy cigs anymore? I remember the gum ones, that you could blow out, and a lil puff of smoke would come out lol.

Yes they still make them. Google candy cigarettes and you will find them.  :smoking:

Anonymous

Quote from: "kiebers"

Yes they still make them. Google candy cigarettes and you will find them.  :smoking:

They are banned  in most Western countries.