Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Thinking of buying an air purifier...

Started by Angry White Male, May 24, 2018, 05:33:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cc

Yes, we got the yellow slip, but again only usual tax was asked for - maybe country of origin is a factor, but they had no way to know that ours were US made  ... that applies to all items unless they do a lot of investigation
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Angry White Male

The bull dyke border guard did a quick internet search of the A/C unit, which would not only have brought up the price, but the country of origin also...

cc

wow. I guess our stuff (shiny wheels and custom grille) was US made  ... or they din't check

I had thot duty between all countries was long over, "crap global trade treaties etc" ... guess not so

Angry White Male

Duty can still be applied if the item is not made in Canada, the US, or Mexico.  

They wanted to know the exact model number, and they searched it.

I often wonder if they do these things simply due to my rugged good looks...  gives them a reason to spend more time 'interacting' with me.

cc

Aw. So do you have your machine now?

The 300 is good -  a bit louder on medium than we expected but bearable. I suspect left on at low after an hour or so on medium or high to clear air will do the job.

I am amazed to be totally clear of the congestion I have always had for years - only took one night with the smaller bedroom unit to prove the concept works.

Now with one in each area, I feel so "pure"  :wink:

Odinson

Does it remove pollution?

There´s moss growing on trees where I live which means the outside air is pure.

Angry White Male

Quote from: "cc"Aw. So do you have your machine now?

Yup.  Bought the purifier same day I started this thread!

Angry White Male

Quote from: "Odinson"Does it remove pollution?

The particular models that CC and I bought will.  They utilize true HEPA certified filters.

Other models offer 'HEPA-Like' filtration, but these aren't the same, perhaps being anywhere from 'almost as good' to 'not very good at all,' since only true HEPA filters must meet certain criteria.  Any other filter does not...

Odinson

Quote from: "Angry White Male"
Quote from: "Odinson"Does it remove pollution?

The particular models that CC and I bought will.  They utilize true HEPA certified filters.

Other models offer 'HEPA-Like' filtration, but these aren't the same, perhaps being anywhere from 'almost as good' to 'not very good at all,' since only true HEPA filters must meet certain criteria.  Any other filter does not...

One of my biggest worries is the sound they make..

How loud are they?

Angry White Male

On low, not very loud at all.  Most people should not have a problem sleeping beside one, if it's on low.

cc

The smaller one we have for bedroom is quite quiet on medium. The bigger one is very quiet on low and livable on medium - plan to  turn on medium for a while, then let it idle on low for rest of day ... can do that we believe as we got the large model .. it still moves a good quantity  of air on low

Gotta thank you for triggering us  .. been toying with idea for some time .... I'm now getting used to not being congested 24 hrs a day .. . a fun task

Further bonus, the concept pretty much has to  reduce the amount dust falling on floor and furniture

Angry White Male

Quote from: "cc"Further bonus, the concept pretty much has to  reduce the amount dust falling on floor and furniture

That's the main reason I decided to buy one, as I'm not really one to suffer from allergies.

I decided to go with a 'dark' theme for my furnishings, which means even a little dust instantly appears.  Hopefully the purifier can reduce this somewhat also, so I don't have to walk around with a Swiffer Duster glued to my hand 24/7.