Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

A

Notre-Dame Cathedral spire, roof collapse, engulfed by flames

Started by Anonymous, April 15, 2019, 02:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bricktop

@realAzhyaAryola

Quote from: "Wazzzup"
Quote from: "@realAzhyaAryola"Hm, could very well be an act of war on Christianity but I will not assume because there has been no evidence or proof.
It would be wrong to assume that of course.

But it is not wrong at all to be suspicious of the possibility-- here are some good reasons--

1. The fire took place during holy week.

2. No workers were there today and the church was closed.

3. ISIS tried to blow up a car outside the church in 2016.

4. Vandalism and desecration of french churches (and synagogues) has been on the rise.

I acknowledge that you have a point. It is also timely that many statues were taken away for restoration too some time before the incident. Hm. Ah, well. I am just speculating. Let us see what they find out.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Bricktop

The reaction to this fire is rather bewildering.

Most people have never visited the cathedral, yet it seems to hold a special place in our heart. I understand how those that have seen it may feel saddened at the damage, but the reaction around the world seems somewhat overwrought.

Perhaps its because it has been romanticised by writers such as Victor Hugo and its place in the history of people rising against tyranny and indifference.

There are older, larger and more grand cathedrals all over Europe...even in England. But none seem to hold a special place in the affairs of man as this one.

@realAzhyaAryola

I'm glad I've seen it before it burned. I am not attached to the structure but I acknowledge its beauty, that it is a historical icon and a distinct symbol of Christianity. When you see the intricate work, you cannot help but be in awe. It can move you to kneel in reverence. However, In my upbringing, we were taught not to be attached to a structure. Our faith is in us, in our heart and soul. I can pray anywhere any time to seek guidance, redemption, and blessings from the Almighty, and that is sufficient. That is just how we did it in my family and I am not trying to convince anyone to do the same.

Yes, it can be rebuilt. Nothing lasts forever.
@realAzhyaAryola

[size=80]Sometimes, my comments have a touch of humor, often tongue-in-cheek, so don\'t take it so seriously.[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"The reaction to this fire is rather bewildering.

Most people have never visited the cathedral, yet it seems to hold a special place in our heart. I understand how those that have seen it may feel saddened at the damage, but the reaction around the world seems somewhat overwrought.

Perhaps its because it has been romanticised by writers such as Victor Hugo and its place in the history of people rising against tyranny and indifference.

There are older, larger and more grand cathedrals all over Europe...even in England. But none seem to hold a special place in the affairs of man as this one.

It's not just any church though Bricktop.

Odinson

Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Odinson"It took 45 minutes for the fire department to show up even though there are 2 stations in walking distance from the Notre Dame..

This happened because the mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo has crippled the city´s traffic system in favour of bicycles and walking..

Emergency services takes precedence over feel good bike lanes.

Of course.. I'm guessing they have put some kind of barriers in place..

The fire department is complaining that they couldnt reach the site sooner because of the fucked up traffic system.

45 min response time in a city is horrible..

Odinson

Funny how muslims are laughing at white people getting triggered..

They themselves get triggered when some1 draws a picture of mohammed..

Fucking monkeys.

Bricktop

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Of course not.

It's a cultural icon. I don't mean to suggest that it's not an important part of French history.

But as a BUILDING, not a symbol, it is relatively average. I loved being able to freely walk around the rooftop (that no longer exists) and stand right next to the grotesques that are so well know.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Odinson"
Quote from: "Odinson"It took 45 minutes for the fire department to show up even though there are 2 stations in walking distance from the Notre Dame..

This happened because the mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo has crippled the city´s traffic system in favour of bicycles and walking..

Emergency services takes precedence over feel good bike lanes.

Of course.. I'm guessing they have put some kind of barriers in place..

The fire department is complaining that they couldnt reach the site sooner because of the fucked up traffic system.

45 min response time in a city is horrible..

That is possible Odi..

Forty five minutes to respond.....there has to be a reason,

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"

Of course not.

It's a cultural icon. I don't mean to suggest that it's not an important part of French history.

But as a BUILDING, not a symbol, it is relatively average. I loved being able to freely walk around the rooftop (that no longer exists) and stand right next to the grotesques that are so well know.

The international emotional reaction to this fire is greater than when 150 people were slaughtered in Paris.

@realAzhyaAryola

I am doubtful that it is a terrorist attack. If it were, there would have been lives lost. Anyway, who really knows. It appears that no investigations have been allowed to take place due to concerns about the structural integrity of the building.

Folks are dismayed because this catastrophe occurred during Lent and what a terrible thing to happen during this period. Events must have been scheduled at the cathedral to mark this year's Lenten season.
@realAzhyaAryola

@realAzhyaAryola

It is not steeped in medieval history but the Washington National Cathedral is just as impressive to me. They have flying buttresses too.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/113/255024165_a6c0ed0984_z.jpg?zz=1">
@realAzhyaAryola

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"

Of course not.

The international emotional reaction to this fire is greater than when 150 people were slaughtered in Paris.

Progs like old buildings, but hate people, especially infidels.

caskur

My house was burned down despite having a fire station two minutes from where I live.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Odinson

Quote from: "caskur"

My house was burned down despite having a fire station two minutes from where I live.

They didnt respond or was the fire so explosive that they couldnt do anything?