Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

A

Notre-Dame Cathedral spire, roof collapse, engulfed by flames

Started by Anonymous, April 15, 2019, 02:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caskur

Quote from: "Odinson"
Quote from: "caskur"
Quote from: "Odinson"It took 45 minutes for the fire department to show up even though there are 2 stations in walking distance from the Notre Dame..

This happened because the mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo has crippled the city´s traffic system in favour of bicycles and walking..

My house was burned down despite having a fire station two minutes from where I live.

They didnt respond or was the fire so explosive that they couldnt do anything?

Two trucks were out fighing scrub fires and they sent a truck without water and we had to wait 15 minutes for trucks from Perth to come... It was on Feb 14 1998... in a heat wave...
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Bricktop

caskur

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
Quote from: "seoulbro"
Quote from: "Bricktop"
Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Bricktop"The reaction to this fire is rather bewildering.

Most people have never visited the cathedral, yet it seems to hold a special place in our heart. I understand how those that have seen it may feel saddened at the damage, but the reaction around the world seems somewhat overwrought.

Perhaps its because it has been romanticised by writers such as Victor Hugo and its place in the history of people rising against tyranny and indifference.

There are older, larger and more grand cathedrals all over Europe...even in England. But none seem to hold a special place in the affairs of man as this one.

It's not just any church though Bricktop.

Of course not.

It's a cultural icon. I don't mean to suggest that it's not an important part of French history.

But as a BUILDING, not a symbol, it is relatively average. I loved being able to freely walk around the rooftop (that no longer exists) and stand right next to the grotesques that are so well know.

The international emotional reaction to this fire is greater than when 150 people were slaughtered in Paris.

Progs like old buildings, but hate people, especially infidels.

It's an irreplaceable work of art and even though it's in France it belongs to the Western World Culture predominately.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

cc

Just in - man arrested carrying gas cans and lighters into St Patrick's in NY

You gotta hear his reason.

"I ran out of gas and was taking a short cut to my van"
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Just in - man arrested carrying gas cans and lighters into St Patrick's in NY

I will lol at his excuse, but I breathe a sigh of relief no fire was deliberately started.

cc

Agree both

Fun Fact: Police found lots of gas in his van, so he's dead in the water

He gets points  for quick thinking  ac_biggrin

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/st-patrick-cathedral-067.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=662">

Anonymous

Quote from: "cc"Just in - man arrested carrying gas cans and lighters into St Patrick's in NY

ac_lmfao

Odinson

Here is the reason for the fire..

"Investigators Trace Cause Of Notre Dame Fire To Cathedral's Outdated 12th-Century Electrical System"

""In our examination of the wreckage, we discovered that some of the circuit breakers and sockets hadn't been updated since the reign of Louis XII,"

https://www.theonion.com/investigators-trace-cause-of-notre-dame-fire-to-cathedr-1834116819">https://www.theonion.com/investigators- ... 1834116819">https://www.theonion.com/investigators-trace-cause-of-notre-dame-fire-to-cathedr-1834116819

Bricktop

Which is even more surprising, as electricity wasn't implemented until the late 19th century.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Which is even more surprising, as electricity wasn't implemented until the late 19th century.

I was going to say something like that Bricktop..

Maybe Odi meant the candles melted, lol.

Bricktop

He was quoting another source, though.

I suspect it was tongue-in-cheek.

Gaon

Quote from: "Bricktop"He was quoting another source, though.

I suspect it was tongue-in-cheek.

Seems so.
The Russian Rock It

Wazzzup

The Onion is a news satire site, although it is getting increasingly hard to tell real news from satire.

Gaon

The Russian Rock It

cc

The People's Cube is also very funny

Man accused of bringing gas cans to St. Patrick's Cathedral is college professor, was previously arrested at another cathedral

The man who allegedly brought gas cans and lighter fluid into St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City has taught philosophy at different colleges in New York and New Jersey, school officials said.

Marc Lamparello, 37, was arrested on Wednesday night and was charged with attempted arson and reckless endangerment. He was taken into custody after a security guard at the cathedral on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan spotted him.

He was cooperative but acted evasively, the New York Police Department said. Lamparello allegedly told officers that he was "cutting through the cathedral to get to Madison Avenue" and that "his car ran out of gas," police said. But when police reportedly checked the man's minivan, its gas tank wasn't empty.

John Miller, the NYPD's deputy commissioner of intelligence and counterterrorism, said surveillance camera footage showed Lamparello circling St. Patrick's several times in a minivan well over an hour before he parked outside the cathedral on Fifth Avenue, walked around the area, returned to his vehicle, and retrieved the gasoline and lighter fluid.