The best topic

Replies: 10406
Total votes: : 4

Last post: September 21, 2024, 09:47:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Herman

Hola from Mexico

Started by ghost, March 08, 2015, 09:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Renee

Quote from: "ghost"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

The Walmart is terrible and overpriced. Here, the shops to go to are Sorieno's and Mega.

Walmart charges $26 for a bottle of suntan lotion.

Oh my ghost, I wonder why so expensive?

ac_umm

If I ever get the opportunity to visit you I will buy more groceries at the places you mentioned.

ac_smile

Because it's only the pale foreigners that need it.

Suntan lotion, bug spray and beach towels. All crazy overpriced.

That's for sure. I bought bug repellent while on a trip to Chichen Itza once and I don't remember exactly what it cost but it was really, really expensive.

On the up side, the stuff really worked. I think it was something similar to the pure DEET the US government used to issue to the soldiers in Vietnam.  ac_toofunny
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Fashionista"I would be at home in Playa Del Carmen because it has a Walmart.

The Walmart is terrible and overpriced. Here, the shops to go to are Sorieno's and Mega.

Walmart charges $26 for a bottle of suntan lotion.

Yikes, carry an umbrella if that's the kind of gouging that goes on down there.

Just bring your own. Buy a bunch of the sample size put them in a ziplock bag and throw them in your luggage.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

keeper

Ghost, Are you looking for a pool boy by chance? I recently have some free time and looking for a life style change. ac_dance  ac_angel

Anonymous

Quote from: "Keeper"Ghost, Are you looking for a pool boy by chance? I recently have some free time and looking for a life style change. ac_dance  ac_angel

Ah Keeps, I was wondering how long it would take for you to make that generous offer to ghost. ac_toofunny

ghost

Quote from: "Keeper"Ghost, Are you looking for a pool boy by chance? I recently have some free time and looking for a life style change. ac_dance  ac_angel

I don't need a pool boy, but there's a particularly annoying rooster I'd like to see have an accident in the dead of night.

Anonymous

I don't need a pool boy, but there's a particularly annoying rooster I'd like to see have an accident in the dead of night.

Some houses keep backyard farm animals ghost?

ghost

Yes. The majority of them keep chickens and roosters. There's a lot of poverty here and having these animals guarantees fresh eggs and meat. It's quite sad. If you take the bus out to the major mall, you go through a district that is nothing but shacks. No plumbing. Dirt floors. Children playing in the rubble. It's very humbling, especially when you think that these people's jobs cater to rich tourists.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ghost"Yes. The majority of them keep chickens and roosters. There's a lot of poverty here and having these animals guarantees fresh eggs and meat. It's quite sad. If you take the bus out to the major mall, you go through a district that is nothing but shacks. No plumbing. Dirt floors. Children playing in the rubble. It's very humbling, especially when you think that these people's jobs cater to rich tourists.

Oh dear. I thought the area where you were had less poverty than other areas of Mexico..

Is there a lot of crime and panhandling ghost?

I don't mind a few backyard hens even in Canada, but roosters are too noisy.

ghost

Playa is probably better off than the rest of Mexico, or perhaps the poverty is just better hidden. The tourists do bring in an income that other towns don't receive.

I haven't heard much about crime, but I know it does exist. And I've seen a few panhandlers so far.

Anonymous

Quote from: "ghost"Playa is probably better off than the rest of Mexico, or perhaps the poverty is just better hidden. The tourists do bring in an income that other towns don't receive.

I haven't heard much about crime, but I know it does exist. And I've seen a few panhandlers so far.

Thanks ghost, I think I have an idea now of how it works in Playa..

I didn't think that there were still people in that area who had dirt floors and no plumbing though.

ac_unsure

Renee

Quote from: "ghost"Yes. The majority of them keep chickens and roosters. There's a lot of poverty here and having these animals guarantees fresh eggs and meat. It's quite sad. If you take the bus out to the major mall, you go through a district that is nothing but shacks. No plumbing. Dirt floors. Children playing in the rubble. It's very humbling, especially when you think that these people's jobs cater to rich tourists.

That's true in most of Mexico. Years ago on a trip to Puerto Vallarta we wandered into a part of town that was off the beaten path and it was just as you described; shacks, dirt floors, children playing in refuse piles, etc. You wouldn't think those kinds of conditions existed in or near the heavy tourist areas but they do. It's a real culture shock when you see it first hand.  ac_wot

Obvious Li

Quote from: "ghost"Playa is probably better off than the rest of Mexico, or perhaps the poverty is just better hidden. The tourists do bring in an income that other towns don't receive.

I didn't think that there were still people in that area who had dirt floors and no plumbing though.

ac_unsure

hell.........there are lots of place in the USA that have dirt floors and no plumbing.... :howdy:

Renee

Quote from: "Obvious Li"

ac_unsure

hell.........there are lots of place in the USA that have dirt floors and no plumbing.... :howdy:

Appalachia for one.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Obvious Li"

ac_unsure

Appalachia for one.

What, dirt floors in their trailers?? ac_huh

Anonymous

Jeezuz ghostie, you sure didn't get drunk, board the wrong plane and end up in Bangladesh? ac_razz