The best topic

Replies: 10402
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 06:52:08 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lab Flaker

Driverless cars - yea or nay

Started by easter bunny, January 18, 2016, 08:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you comfortable with the idea of self-driving cars?

Yes
3 (37.5%)
No
5 (62.5%)
Not sure
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: January 18, 2016, 08:13:51 PM

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"GM.  Faulty ignition switches. They kept it under wraps.

They recalled 800, 000 cars and they forfeited $900 mill US. How was violating safety good for GM? That too me is an example of why safety violations are so fucking expensive.

I think you've figured out by by now where I work. At our FC facility when the price of oil was high and contractors hard to find, we banned small welding crews and brought in unionized ones for not following guidelines about depressurizing. If there was an incident, we would be held responsible and it would be EXPENSIVE. What our company likes about unionized workers is they will have a guy who's job is to ensure safety rules are followed. Small indies don't have that. He or she will discipline workers who feel our rules to much of a chore for them.

RW

I answered Herman's call for a company that kept a safety violation under wraps.  They should have been sacked for it - HARD!

You cannot deny these things happen.  You cannot deny corners get cut, especially when manufacturing isn't done in our country.

No one is disagreeing that safety is good for business and profits.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

I'm glad you are finally seeing the benefits to unions.  :)
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I answered Herman's call for a company that kept a safety violation under wraps.  They should have been sacked for it - HARD!

You cannot deny these things happen.  You cannot deny corners get cut, especially when manufacturing isn't done in our country.

I made good money all my years abroad. But, decided to come home. One of the reasons is that I cannot stand the way safety is disregarded outside our borders. It's disgusting. the easter bunny would be right if he was talking about the holes I have worked in. But not Canada. People get hurt and heads roll. It happens still, but the consequences are so punitive as they should be.

I would still like easter bunny to give an example of a company he worked at that violated safety regulations because it's more profitable.

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I'm glad you are finally seeing the benefits to unions.  :)

The skilled trades unions are great. They are not like other unions that oppose pipeline development. When prices were high and new projects coming on line, their journeymen only took only the best long term positions. We only accept third year apprentices or better. Therefore at times and on shorter term jobs we had to settle for small welding steamfitting contractors. They are not really cheaper either because we have to have a unit operator baby sitting them whereas unions provided a supervisor to do that.

RW

Quote from: "Herman"
Quote from: "RW"I answered Herman's call for a company that kept a safety violation under wraps.  They should have been sacked for it - HARD!

I made good money all my years abroad. But, decided to come home. One of the reasons is that I cannot stand the way safety is disregarded outside our borders. It's disgusting. the easter bunny would be right if he was talking about the holes I have worked in. But not Canada. People get hurt and heads roll. It happens still, but the consequences are so punitive as they should be.

I would still like easter bunny to give an example of a company he worked at that violated safety regulations because it's more profitable.

And damn near everything is made in Asia these days.

Are you starting to see why EB says what he says?
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "RW"I'm glad you are finally seeing the benefits to unions.  :)

The skilled trades unions are great. They are not like other unions that oppose pipeline development. When prices were high and new projects coming on line, their journeymen only took only the best long term positions. We only accept third year apprentices or better. Therefore at times and on shorter term jobs we had to settle for small welding steamfitting contractors. They are not really cheaper either because we have to have a unit operator baby sitting them whereas unions provided a supervisor to do that.

True blue labour doesn't oppose the pipeline.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Herman"

And damn near everything is made in Asia these days.

Are you starting to see why EB says what he says?

Even heavy industry products made in Asia are still subject to ISO standards and stress testing. However, most heavy industry products in our industry are made here in Canada. Ontario to be specific.

What EB doesn't get because he's never worked in industry is that when injuries, derailments, blasts, fires etc happen it si because someone violated standards to save time and thinking they would get away with it. That's people like Herm or myself. There are consequences for us(dismissal) and consequences for the company(monetary) and consequences for new employees new CROR rules for example. It's not something I could get through his thick skull, but it is something we could show him.

QuoteTrue blue labour doesn't oppose the pipeline.

Uninized JOURNEYMEN pipefitters/steamfitters and welders are still working. They are less choosy about the length of jobs, but they are still working. Small contractors, well back to Cape Breton for a lot of them.

RW

That's ONE industry.  The subject is CARS.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"GM ignition switch, BP oil spill, MMA railway disaster, Volkswagon emission cheat...

How did those mistakes profit their companies you fucking idiot? MMA is toast. BP spent billions cleaning up, Volksawgen is teertering on collapse over something that had nothing to do with safety and GM had an expensive recall. How did not following safety rules boost share prices or improve their bottom line fucking dunce.

The3 only companies that do not have to pay for safety mistakes are public owned  companies.

Shen Li, what is your problem?

:mad:

I like easter bunny very much..

He's a very nice man and a great poster, but you talk to him like you do Odinson..

And he's not the first person you have chased away with vulgar personal attacks..

Thanks for nothing.

:sneaky2:

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"That's ONE industry.  The subject is CARS.

I thought our industrial expert said he doesn't trust any industry because safety hurts their bottom line(the opposite is true, but don't waste ur breath on occutards). Are cars today safer or more dangerous?  They are inherently safer. Does violating or ignoring safety problems good for companies? Fuck no, in extreme cases it can damn near put them under, Do new technologies sometimes have kinks to be ironed out? Yes, they do which is why I wouldn't touch driverless technology for some time yet.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"

He's a very nice man and a great poster, but you talk to him like you do Odinson..

And he's not the first person you have chased away with vulgar personal attacks..

Thanks for nothing.

Here's a box of Kleenex just for you.

http://www.redstaplerchronicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/kleenex.jpg">

easter bunny

Quote from: "easter bunny"GM ignition switch, BP oil spill, MMA railway disaster, Volkswagon emission cheat...

How did those mistakes profit their companies you fucking idiot? MMA is toast. BP spent billions cleaning up, Volksawgen is teertering on collapse over something that had nothing to do with safety and GM had an expensive recall. How did not following safety rules boost share prices or improve their bottom line fucking dunce.

The3 only companies that do not have to pay for safety mistakes are public owned  companies.

Thanks for nothing.

Don't worry Fash. It doesn't faze me. I know what to expect when I push Shen's hot buttons.  :laugh3:

Anonymous

Quote from: "easter bunny"

Thanks for nothing.

Don't worry Fash. It doesn't faze me. I know what to expect when I push Shen's hot buttons.  :laugh3:

I am getting tired of Shen Li flying off the handle at good posters like you easter bunny..

I have your back and I think RW does too.

Bricktop

Shen is a mainland apparatchik. A Mao loving cadre member.