The best topic

Replies: 10395
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 12:27:42 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Sloan

Would you eat this Frankenfood?

Started by shin, March 05, 2016, 02:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Renee

All commercial plain pastas taste the same. Unless they are flavored with something or they are a specialty pasta such as whole wheat or gultin free, they are made from the same ingredients. Any perceived difference in taste is, for the most part, psychological.

Now starch content can be different in shapes compared to spaghetti and it can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer which in turn, can affect cooking times. Cooking times affect density which can change flavor intensity but the actual flavor remains the same.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

shin

Quote from: "Renee"All commercial plain pastas taste the same. Unless they are flavored with something or they are a specialty pasta such as whole wheat or gultin free, they are made from the same ingredients. Any perceived difference in taste is, for the most part, psychological.

Now starch content can be different in shapes compared to spaghetti and it can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer which in turn, can affect cooking times. Cooking times affect density which can change flavor intensity but the actual flavor remains the same.

I don't think I agree with that statement. So you don't believe texture plays any role in the way our tastebuds interpret food?

Renee

Quote from: "shin"
Quote from: "Renee"All commercial plain pastas taste the same. Unless they are flavored with something or they are a specialty pasta such as whole wheat or gultin free, they are made from the same ingredients. Any perceived difference in taste is, for the most part, psychological.

I don't think I agree with that statement. So you don't believe texture plays any role in the way our tastebuds interpret food?

I don't think texture changes taste but it can change perception. Something that has an unpleasant texture in your mouth can drive your perception of how it tastes.

Sorry dude but I've heard people say this all before but as I explained, the only variation in plain dry pasta is density and starch content.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"

I don't think texture changes taste but it can change perception. Something that has an unpleasant texture in your mouth can drive your perception of how it tastes.

Sorry dude but I've heard people say this all before but as I explained, the only variation in plain dry pasta is density and starch content.

It can change perception.

shin

No need to be sorry.

Looks like you're right. I was initially thinking about how lasagna noodles don't taste like spaghetti, but they also have different recipes... and I was going to follow up by using long grain vs. short grain rice. The surface area argument doesn't present enough of a factor as far as how taste is measured.

RW

Weird. I've always used the same recipe for my lasagna as the rest of my pasta.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Does anyone like whole wheat pasta?

Renee

Quote from: "Fashionista"Does anyone like whole wheat pasta?

I'm not too fond of it. To me it tastes like Wheaties cereal :negative:

You also have to overcook it or it has a very strong wheat flavor. There is no such thing as al dente with whole wheat pasta. I don't like overcooked pasta.

Overcooking pasta is a sin.

Anonymous

You also have to overcook it or it has a very strong wheat flavor. There is no such thing as al dente with whole wheat pasta. I don't like overcooked pasta.

I don't cook pasta enough to know what is overcooked pasta.

ac_dunno

Anonymous

I like everything whole wheat or multigrain.

Renee

Quote from: "Fashionista"

ac_dunno

Overcooked pasta is when it loses it's body and becomes mushy.

Anonymous

ac_dunno

That happens when we cook thicker fettucine, but not thin spaghettini whole wheat pasta.

Renee

Quote from: "Herman"

ac_dunno

That happens when we cook thicker fettucine, but not thin spaghettini whole wheat pasta.

I like most whole wheat foods but whole wheat pasta tastes like ass.

shin

i was given some uncooked whole wheat spaghetti last month. I overcooked it just out of caution that I realized it would taste "different".

Al dente is probably the way most pasta purists would describe how they prefer their pasta cooked. The easiest way of comparing it would be to illustrate how most people prefer their toast: more on the lighter side of cooked for what boils down to aesthetic reasons learned mostly through learned preference and repetition.

Anonymous

i was given some uncooked whole wheat spaghetti last month. I overcooked it just out of caution that I realized it would taste "different".

Al dente is probably the way most pasta purists would describe how they prefer their pasta cooked. The easiest way of comparing it would be to illustrate how most people prefer their toast: more on the lighter side of cooked for what boils down to aesthetic reasons learned mostly through learned preference and repetition.

That's a good comparison shin.