The best topic

Replies: 10482
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 10:21:57 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Shen Li

Australian Birds

Started by caskur, July 14, 2018, 11:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"Most of these are taken in or from my back yard...although we back on to bushland. Some were taken in a friends back yard.

But yes, these are all birds in the wild, and even in the suburbs. In fact, Rosellas are more likely in areas close to cities than in remote areas. They got their name from the early settlers, who established a small village called Rose Hill, near Sydney, and which is now a suburb of Sydney.

The new colonists called the birds Rose Hill'ers, which became Rosellas.

Like  TheVancouverGuy said we do not have the interesting and colourful birds that you have anywhere in Canada..

Where we go camping we see hawks and occasionally bald eagles..

But, urban birds in Calgary are neither pretty nor interesting.

Bricktop

But you have birds of prey, and bears of prey, which would be great to photograph if they didn't eat you.

I'm hoping to snap some pics of snakes as we move out of winter. The lizards are moving around now, so the snakes will be too.

Bricktop

Quote from: "iron horse jockey"
That is a beautiful creature. Just like the macaws in Central America.

A little smaller than a macaw...about the size of a standard pigeon. Cockatoos are the same size as macaws...because they're practically the same bird. Galah's a little smaller, except for the black ones which are again the same size as a macaw.

Our eagles are slightly smaller than the golden eagle.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
Quote from: "Bricktop"Most of these are taken in or from my back yard...although we back on to bushland. Some were taken in a friends back yard.

But yes, these are all birds in the wild, and even in the suburbs. In fact, Rosellas are more likely in areas close to cities than in remote areas. They got their name from the early settlers, who established a small village called Rose Hill, near Sydney, and which is now a suburb of Sydney.

Like  TheVancouverGuy said we do not have the interesting and colourful birds that you have anywhere in Canada..

Envy is not very Xtian church lady. ac_razz

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

Envy is not very Xtian church lady. ac_razz

I hadn't considered it might appear I was coveting what we don't have here..

I am happy with the nature that is within ninety minutes of  Calgary..

As Bricktop said, we have lots of other large beautiful wild animals.

caskur

Quote from: "Bricktop"They are very beautiful. The blue is electric in bright sunlight.

I guess we're fortunate that it is us that lives in a cage, and we get to see them in the wild.

Yes, you are quite right... and unless people have a big enough enclosure to keep birds happy, they shouldn't have them.

We were headed for Three Springs in WA and took a wrong turn at Coorow and ended up at a place called Perenjori where I saw 3 birds I have never seen wild before, the Yellow-throated Miner, the Bird-faced Woodswallow, and a Wedgetailed Eagled.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Bricktop

Seeing your first wedgie must have been exciting.

Bricktop

A pair of masked lapwings, native to Australia.

These things are highly aggressive and will swoop on anything, including humans.

This pair is schmoozing in a salt flat, which is weird as nothing grows or lives in that water.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1952/45023597611_11123fbc3e_k.jpg">

Bricktop

Taken with my brand new OLYMPUS OMD EM1 Mark 2!!! Sharp as a tack.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Bricktop"A pair of masked lapwings, native to Australia.

These things are highly aggressive and will swoop on anything, including humans.

This pair is schmoozing in a salt flat, which is weird as nothing grows or lives in that water.

Lovely image Bricktop.

Anonymous

There have been many sightings of bobcats in yards in Calgary...many near my own area of the city.

">

caskur

Quote from: "Bricktop"Seeing your first wedgie must have been exciting.

yes... and I found a picture however it's so far away but I'll put it up later...

I'm still suffering from being in car so long.... we got out of the car several times... but it was two hours too long.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

caskur

Quote from: "Bricktop"A pair of masked lapwings, native to Australia.

Australia = paradise.
- Andy Warhol

caskur

Quote from: "Fashionista"There have been many sightings of bobcats in yards in Calgary...many near my own area of the city.

">

She's disabled this... I missed it.

Never mind.

people hate cats but cats keep enironment clean and are under appreciated by bird people...

I love all animals except crocs and sharks.
- Andy Warhol

Bricktop

The masked lapwing is a vicious brute. Here's one rising up to repel a passing seagull...because it can.

If you look close, you may see the spurs on its wing joint (about half way along the outstretched wing). This spur will cause significant damage to other birds in the air, which is why they tend to leg it if the lapwing heads their way.

Nasty bird all round, really.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1927/44116250275_96f614efeb_h.jpg">