Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

A

Edmonton Radio Station Asks If Rape Victims Partly Responsib

Started by Anonymous, April 11, 2014, 12:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

Quote from: "Romero"
Quote from: "Renee"Same goes for rape victims; sometimes they can put themselves into a situation where the odds of being assaulted increase dramatically. It doesn't happen in every case but it does happen.

How many rape victims are assaulted because they're too drunk or in a bad neighbourhood late at night? Maybe a few percent at the most?

The majority of rape victims are assaulted by someone they know. The question is asking if the average rape victim somehow deserves it, which is quite offensive.

It's asking a question, not stating an opinion.  If they would have stated an opinion that women deserve it, then I would consider it offensive as well.  They've asked a question around a pertinent social issue, specifically one that deals with attitudes around sexual assault.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "Shen Li"Renee,

My parents always told me to be smart and don't make a criminal's job easy for them. I'm sure your parents also told you to stay away from danger whenever possible. You probably have had this conversation with your daughters.

However, a victim is a victim is a victim. If, gawd forbid something happened to one of your daughters, you too would be offended if while driving to the office you heard a poll question like the one CHED did.

Alright let's stow the emotional out bursts, please. You are starting to sound like Socks with his anti-gun and anti-hunting arguments.

I'm not debating victimhood, the question was does a victim of sexual assault bear some of the blame? All I'm saying is that in a certain aspect under certain limited circumstances, yes they do, but not from a right or wrong or legal standpoint.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

RW

Quote from: "Romero"I think it's offensive because it shouldn't have to be questioned. It's assuming there's a possibility victims of sexual assault may be somehow to blame.

"It's very controversial but do you think victims of murder share any blame for what happens?"

We've had this discussion MANY times.  As I said, as humans we have to be responsible for our personal security which involves mitigating victimization.  

If I leave me doors unlocked and someone breaks in, my insurance company will likely tell me TFB because I didn't secure my property.  Does that mean they are blaming me or is it there is an expectation that I am responsible to secure my property?  On a criminal level, however, it makes the person who broke into my home no less criminally liable for the act.

Are you seeing the difference?

I hate that we are sending a message to women, specifically young women, that because there is no excuse for rape (including what they are wearing or how much they've had to drink) that they can engage in high risk behaviour and believe there will be no consequences.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Renee

Quote from: "Real Woman"
Quote from: "Romero"I think it's offensive because it shouldn't have to be questioned. It's assuming there's a possibility victims of sexual assault may be somehow to blame.

"It's very controversial but do you think victims of murder share any blame for what happens?"

We've had this discussion MANY times.  As I said, as humans we have to be responsible for our personal security which involves mitigating victimization.  

If I leave me doors unlocked and someone breaks in, my insurance company will likely tell me TFB because I didn't secure my property.  Does that mean they are blaming me or is it there is an expectation that I am responsible to secure my property?  On a criminal level, however, it makes the person who broke into my home no less criminally liable for the act.

I hate that we are sending a message to women, specifically young women, that because there is no excuse for rape (including what they are wearing or how much they've had to drink) that they can engage in high risk behaviour and believe there will be no consequences.

^ This right here, Thank you.
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"
Quote from: "Shen Li"Renee,

My parents always told me to be smart and don't make a criminal's job easy for them. I'm sure your parents also told you to stay away from danger whenever possible. You probably have had this conversation with your daughters.

However, a victim is a victim is a victim. If, gawd forbid something happened to one of your daughters, you too would be offended if while driving to the office you heard a poll question like the one CHED did.

Alright let's stow the emotional out bursts, please. You are starting to sound like Socks with his anti-gun and anti-hunting arguments.

I'm not debating victimhood, the question was does a victim of sexual assault bear some of the blame? All I'm saying is that in a certain aspect under certain limited circumstances, yes they do, but not from a right or wrong or legal standpoint.

Shit, is that how I seem?

Don't get me wrong, if I have a daughter I would be telling her to do all of the personal security things you and RW have been talking about. Having said that, even if she failed to heed my advice and was walking home from a bar alone instead of with a group of friends and became a victim, I would want the animal responsible castrated with a rusty saw. No crap about her being partly to blame.

RW

I'll give you a personal example.

My younger sister was mugged a few years back.  Some asshole grabbed her purse, pushed her to the ground and ran off.  Upon hearing this, my first reaction was "OMG!  ARE YOU OKAY?!"  That was followed by comments about how I would like to kick the teeth in of the guy who did it.  How I hope they find him and throw the book at him!

Then I found out the details...

My sister was walking home from downtown Vancouver to her place on 16th Ave.  While her friends all got into cabs, she decided that a drunken walk home alone at 2am was a good idea.  What do you think my next comment to her was?  It was, "WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?!?!?!" (Or not thinking for that matter.)

Did I blame my sister for what happened or merely point out that she did something that dramatically increased her changes of being victimized?

Regardless of our belief that we SHOULD be able to walk around drunk, in the middle of the night in short skirts and heels, there is a reality out there that includes shitty people who will do shitty things to us.  And as I said, I don't want women being given the impression they are "safe" doing what my sister did because no one has the right to do anything illegal to them regardless of the circumstances.  People do and people will take advantage of situations and we have a responsibility to make that as difficult for them as possible.
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

Impart that on your son as well Shen.  Women aren't the only ones who can be victims.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Romero

Quote from: "Real Woman"If I leave me doors unlocked and someone breaks in, my insurance company will likely tell me TFB because I didn't secure my property.  Does that mean they are blaming me or is it there is an expectation that I am responsible to secure my property?  On a criminal level, however, it makes the person who broke into my home no less criminally liable for the act.

A rape victim is nothing like leaving a door unlocked. The majority of rape victims have done nothing to compromise their security. The average woman is just as likely to be raped as any other woman, no matter what precautions they take.

Minors and the elderly are often victims of sexual assault. Sometimes men. We never accuse any of them of engaging in "high risk behaviour".

No one has ever told a woman that they can engage in high risk behaviour and there will be no consequences.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"I'll give you a personal example.

My younger sister was mugged a few years back.  Some asshole grabbed her purse, pushed her to the ground and ran off.  Upon hearing this, my first reaction was "OMG!  ARE YOU OKAY?!"  That was followed by comments about how I would like to kick the teeth in of the guy who did it.  How I hope they find him and throw the book at him!

Then I found out the details...

My sister was walking home from downtown Vancouver to her place on 16th Ave.  While her friends all got into cabs, she decided that a drunken walk home alone at 2am was a good idea.  What do you think my next comment to her was?  It was, "WHAT THE FUCK WERE YOU THINKING?!?!?!" (Or not thinking for that matter.)

Did I blame my sister for what happened or merely point out that she did something that dramatically increased her changes of being victimized?

Regardless of our belief that we SHOULD be able to walk around drunk, in the middle of the night in short skirts and heels, there is a reality out there that includes shitty people who will do shitty things to us.  And as I said, I don't want women being given the impression they are "safe" doing what my sister did because no one has the right to do anything illegal to them regardless of the circumstances.  People do and people will take advantage of situations and we have a responsibility to make that as difficult for them as possible.

First of all RW, I am really sorry about what happened to your younger sister. That's terrible and I have little doubt she has been traumatized by it.

Did your sis take unnecessary risk? Well, of course that's obvious. When she sobered up, I am glad you gave her an earful...good going!! However, it doesn't change the fact that she was the VICTIM of a violent attack. The prick that did that is the same kind of creep who attacks seniors out alone or the handicapped or kids walking home from school.

Catch the fucking the fucking scum that did this to your sister and throw the fucking book at him. Guaranteed your sister is not the first or last person he violently assaults.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Real Woman"If I leave me doors unlocked and someone breaks in, my insurance company will likely tell me TFB because I didn't secure my property.  Does that mean they are blaming me or is it there is an expectation that I am responsible to secure my property?  On a criminal level, however, it makes the person who broke into my home no less criminally liable for the act.

A rape victim is nothing like leaving a door unlocked. The majority of rape victims have done nothing to compromise their security. The average woman is just as likely to be raped as any other woman, no matter what precautions they take.

Minors and the elderly are often victims of sexual assault. Sometimes men. We never accuse any of them of engaging in "high risk behaviour".

No one has ever told a woman that they can engage in high risk behaviour and there will be no consequences.

Really?? :shock:  What like in nursing homes by staff members? I never heard this before? Details please?

Obvious Li

Quote from: "Real Woman"

the rare...and i mean rare time she^^^ gets it right she ^^^gets it right......if you dress like a slut, (the look can be debated) are shit faced drunk, and hanging around with a group of drunken young guys then just saying no doesn't cut it......no one deserves to be raped..however, if you put yourself in a situation where the outcome is entirely predictable them i'm afraid you'll find sympathy somewhere between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.....the real tragedy is that it lessens societies sympathies for some one who does everything right and has something like that happen......that's what pisses me off about this new progressive attitude.

RW

No one is saying that the victims of rape are anything but innocent and undeserving, Romero.  I just want to make sure the message that steps should be taken to mitigate victimization through personal responsibility doesn't get lost because it's important.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Obvious Li

i should have added...if it ever happened to one of my daughters.....even if she was walking around naked....there is no place on earth where i would not find the guy......and no one would find the body.

Romero

Quote from: "Shen Li"Really?? :shock:  What like in nursing homes by staff members? I never heard this before? Details please?

QuoteAccording to the National Elder Abuse Incidence Study of 1998, approximately 67% of elder sexual abusers were family members. Another study, published in the Journal of Abuse in 2000, estimated 12.2% of elder sexual abuse victims were assaulted within their own home. Approximately 14.6% of elder sexual abuse victims were assaulted in the sexual offender's home. The largest percentage of elder sexual abuse, around 70.7% of cases, occurred within nursing homes.

http://nursinghomeabuseguide.com/elder-abuse/sexual-abuse/">//http://nursinghomeabuseguide.com/elder-abuse/sexual-abuse/

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"Really?? :shock:  What like in nursing homes by staff members? I never heard this before? Details please?

QuoteAccording to the National Elder Abuse Incidence Study of 1998, approximately 67% of elder sexual abusers were family members. Another study, published in the Journal of Abuse in 2000, estimated 12.2% of elder sexual abuse victims were assaulted within their own home. Approximately 14.6% of elder sexual abuse victims were assaulted in the sexual offender's home. The largest percentage of elder sexual abuse, around 70.7% of cases, occurred within nursing homes.

http://nursinghomeabuseguide.com/elder-abuse/sexual-abuse/">//http://nursinghomeabuseguide.com/elder-abuse/sexual-abuse/

EEEEWWWWWWWWW!!!!! Fucking sick dude!!