News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10400
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 04:37:30 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Lokmar

Seatbelts, Commercial Vehicles, and Cops...

Started by Chuck Bronson, July 11, 2018, 02:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"
Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"And don't even get me started on Bill C-46, which would've permitted the cops to randomly stop you while driving.

Luckily this bullshit was shot down...  Interestingly enough, Poppa Trudeau was the one that ensured we could travel freely in our own country without being hassled, and Little Trudeau is the one that wanted to change that back!

I do not want us to become Australia or England.  And that bill was shot down, thankfully!

If you want to stop me, there must be a reason...  Reasonable cause for doing so.  If I'm not acting up, you leave me the fuck alone.

Checking how much tread is left on your tyres is enough to pull you over randomly.

The police do that where you live?

Frood

It's one of their bullshit legal excuses here. They have a number of them but they all involve stopping people for no crimes witnessed or suspected then proceeding to trying to find something to fine or imprison over.
Blahhhhhh...

Anonymous

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"It's one of their bullshit legal excuses here. They have a number of them but they all involve stopping people for no crimes witnessed or suspected then proceeding to trying to find something to fine or imprison over.

Occasionally commercial vehicle enforcement will have a  blitz  on the side of a highway where they pull over all commercial trucks and look for  something, anything to give them a fine.

Frood

We have what we call booze buses which are meant to be random but never are. Basically, they stop traffic in all directions on a major road or intersection then proceed to herd virtually every single driver they can for a breatho or drug swab or both. It can be for two directions or up to 5 or 6 lines of traffic on a busy spaghetti intersection.

Their excuse? It's just a 'random stop' despite them not only testing the great majority but setting up plate and sometimes facial recognition readers to look for possible persons or vehicles of interest.

Once they stop you for the tests it's not uncommon for them to peruse the condition of your tyres, sound of your exhaust, pitch of your window tint, number of differently painted panels on your bodywork whether custom or just practical, contents of your cab should there be a menacing foil wrapper on the floor or a tyre change implement not returned immediately to the manufacturer's designated position, any stone chips or cracks on your windscreen, or any suspected motor modifications they suggest could exist, and then there's the human interaction part of their 'random' stop. If you so much as stand up for yourself on any suggestion of impropriety or suspicion, that's suspicious and therefore warrants extreme vetting measures where you're told to vacate your vehicle for a full search of at least your vehicle if not your vehicle and person.

To refuse an order whether legitimately issued or not runs the risk of incarceration. Anything discovered during the course of a legitimate or illegitimate stop and search is still admissible in court against you. You have no right to silence unless you request a solicitor and they aren't yet present for the interrogation.

Then there are the intricate and mostly unknown legal excuses for a non random stop. Unless you're well versed in protocols, which most of us aren't here, few ask whether a purported high risk zone that a constable sights as a reason for a non random stop is in fact published in the obscure public record they keep on the down low as per the rules. Which still doesn't guarantee you a rock solid legal basis to sue back because every officer may randomly assign a high risk value to a location due to their opinion and not the actual regularity of events in that location as per statistics which they are required to follow.

There is so much more than what I've mentioned but the long and short of it is that cops, at least in my State while being mostly unbothered and unfussed with using their unbalanced powers can and occasionally do use them.

It can be a nasty and vindictive place to be should you assert any of your civil liberties.

It's why I have an 8 camera and 2 mic surveillance system in my vehicle and I make sure to stay below their radars doing their unethical stops.

One of these decades, Australians will have had enough of the bullying and it will be refreshing to see constables shitting their pants.
Blahhhhhh...

Blazor

Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"At least the cops here stopped hassling people for not wearing a helmet while bicycling.  THAT was the dumbest law to implement, ever.

I agree, stupid law. If you WANT to wear one, then wear one, if not, dont, should be that simple. I never wore a helmet as a kid on a bike, and I turned out fine  :laugh:
I've come here to chew bubble gum, and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Frood

Quote from: "Blazor"
Quote from: "Chuck Bronson"At least the cops here stopped hassling people for not wearing a helmet while bicycling.  THAT was the dumbest law to implement, ever.

I agree, stupid law. If you WANT to wear one, then wear one, if not, dont, should be that simple. I never wore a helmet as a kid on a bike, and I turned out fine  :laugh:

It's illegal here to ride a bicycle without a helmet, walk multiple abreast together as a group, or skateboard after having a few beers.
Blahhhhhh...

Blazor

Quote from: "Dinky Dianna"

It's illegal here to ride a bicycle without a helmet, walk multiple abreast together as a group, or skateboard after having a few beers.

:2r4ml1j_th:

Also illegal here to ride a lawnmower after a few beers.

Btw, cops here like to profile as well. I cant count the times I was pulled over over bullshit nit picky things, just so they could search my vehicle. The last time I had enough, and asked if I was being profiled, because it wasnt the first time I've been searched. They let me go.

Frood

:2r4ml1j_th:

Also illegal here to ride a lawnmower after a few beers.

Btw, cops here like to profile as well. I cant count the times I was pulled over over bullshit nit picky things, just so they could search my vehicle. The last time I had enough, and asked if I was being profiled, because it wasnt the first time I've been searched. They let me go.

I was distantly tailed in the middle of nowhere for like 20 k's once from one bush town to nearly another. Had it on cruise control and my vehicle was clean in appearance. After getting nearly rammed up the bum by this prick I finally had enough and signaled and came to a very abrupt stop in the bulldust along the side of the road. Whipped my licence out in my hand outside the window with the other on the wheel.

The prick was astonished. I told him to get it the hell over with and that I didn't appreciate being harassed for over 10 minutes. Run my licence, search my car, do whatever bullshit thing he wanted to do but never ever crawl up my arse like that again or I would depress the brakes and he would have a smashed front end and he'd be at fault for tailgating.

He came back visibly shaken. Apologized profusely. Let me on my way.
Blahhhhhh...

Blazor

I was distantly tailed in the middle of nowhere for like 20 k's once from one bush town to nearly another. Had it on cruise control and my vehicle was clean in appearance. After getting nearly rammed up the bum by this prick I finally had enough and signaled and came to a very abrupt stop in the bulldust along the side of the road. Whipped my licence out in my hand outside the window with the other on the wheel.

The prick was astonished. I told him to get it the hell over with and that I didn't appreciate being harassed for over 10 minutes. Run my licence, search my car, do whatever bullshit thing he wanted to do but never ever crawl up my arse like that again or I would depress the brakes and he would have a smashed front end and he'd be at fault for tailgating.

Ha! Good for you!  :thumbup:

Frood

Ha! Good for you!  :thumbup:

I think when he realized I was related to a few well respected community and church leaders who had served in local politics for that Shire, his world came crashing down before his eyes and he couldn't wait to make amends lest the small towns in that area decided to have him replaced.  ac_biggrin
Blahhhhhh...

Chuck Bronson

I didn't realize Oz was so bad...  It's not perfect here with the cops, but nowhere near as invasive as Oz cops! Christ...

caskur

I got pulled over in my suburb on my way to go to K-Mart for a new tyre... I had a flat so my "spare" tyre was on.... they checked over my car and gave me a $25 fine because my spare was bald they reckoned.... I said it's a SPARE tyre... they said it had to be perfect too...

I was fuming because this was just after I lost 1/4 of a mil in a house fire less than a month earlier. I know they pulled me over thinking I was the abos... there were only two of us that had white Commodores in my suburbs,... me...And the abos.  :negative:
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"I got pulled over in my suburb on my way to go to K-Mart for a new tyre... I had a flat so my "spare" tyre was on.... they checked over my car and gave me a $25 fine because my spare was bald they reckoned.... I said it's a SPARE tyre... they said it had to be perfect too...

I was fuming because this was just after I lost 1/4 of a mil in a house fire less than a month earlier. I know they pulled me over thinking I was the abos... there were only two of us that had white Commodores in my suburbs,... me...And the abos.  :negative:

Is it common for police to pull over cars driving on spare tires?

caskur

It was just a random pull over... But very peculiar if you ask me.

They could see my good tyre sitting in the back of the station wagon...on it's way to get repaired.
"I think having land and not ruining it is the most beautiful art that anybody could ever want."
- Andy Warhol

Anonymous

Quote from: "caskur"It was just a random pull over... But very peculiar if you ask me.

Do they have ticket quotas?

Some police forces here do and that's why they act peculiar at the end of the month.