News:

SMF - Just Installed!

The best topic

Replies: 10391
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 08:25:17 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by Aryan

Teaching Creationism in public schools...

Started by J0E, January 04, 2016, 10:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J0E

...are you for or against it?

I often hear secularists, scientists who are adamantly opposed to teaching a religious version of how the earth was created and how man came to be in public schools. The excuse used is that it is indoctrination and violates the principle of separateness of Church and State.

but is it?

Why couldn't a secular (evolution) and religious version(s) of creationism be taught in public schools? What's wrong with it? Personally, I don't care if they do, and then the student can make up their own minds whether they choose to believe on teaching of the other.

Since no living today was around when the world was created or humans came into existence, no one truly knows how it or we came to be. Therefore, technically speaking, anyone who makes a claim about the origins of the earth and mankind could be right. This is a case where no one has proven to be right and in fact where ALL parties putting forth their accounts, religious or scientific, could be wrong. There's no video footage, DNA samples/tracking, nor even a truly accurate estimate of how old the earth really is. It is just an estimate.

Anyways, what do you folks think? Should we bring back teaching creationism or biblical or some other religious account of our origins into the classroom? Especially if it's put forth as a comparative method of study?

keeper

RW

Quote from: "J0E"...are you for or against it?

I often hear secularists, scientists who are adamantly opposed to teaching a religious version of how the earth was created and how man came to be in public schools. The excuse used is that it is indoctrination and violates the principle of separateness of Church and State.

but is it?

Why couldn't a secular (evolution) and religious version(s) of creationism be taught in public schools? What's wrong with it? Personally, I don't care if they do, and then the student can make up their own minds whether they choose to believe on teaching of the other.

Since no living today was around when the world was created or humans came into existence, no one truly knows how it or we came to be. Therefore, technically speaking, anyone who makes a claim about the origins of the earth and mankind could be right. This is a case where no one is right and in fact where ALL parties putting forth their accounts are wrong. There's no video footage, DNA samples/tracking, nor even a truly accurate estimate of how old the earth really is. It is just an estimate.

Anyways, what do you folks think? Should we bring back teaching creationism or biblical or some other religious account of our origins into the classroom? Especially if it's put forth as a comparative method of study?

I would be okay with teaching creationism if it was learned as a part of language arts and fell under FICTION.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

but is it?

Since no living today was around when the world was created or humans came into existence, no one truly knows how it or we came to be. Therefore, technically speaking, anyone who makes a claim about the origins of the earth and mankind could be right. This is a case where no one is right and in fact where ALL parties putting forth their accounts are wrong. There's no video footage, DNA samples/tracking, nor even a truly accurate estimate of how old the earth really is. It is just an estimate.

I don't care JOE because I would never send my children to public schools.

RW

Haha good answer Fash!

Where are they going to do post secondary at though?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Haha good answer Fash!

Whatever profession they choose at any institution of higher learning they choose.

J0E

Quote from: "RW"

but is it?

I would be okay with teaching creationism if it was learned as a part of language arts and fell under FICTION.

...I support teaching creationism and evolution on an equal plane. That in my mind, is true democracy.

And the other other thing, these so called scientists should stop lying to us that evolutionary theory is science. That's a load of bull. Science, as I understand it, is a way to recreate in lab settings, an experiment which can be reproduced over and over and over again without fail inside a lab or outside it.

For example: How long does it take for a drop of water with a volume of 1 gram take to evaporate at 20 degrees celsius? The results of this experiment can be measured and the conditions set up and repeated to within infintisimal accuracy. Can the conditions which explain evolution or the creation of the earth? No. And the other problem is that these evolutionary scientists are like a leopard which keeps on changing its spots. Their theories and explanations keep changing and what was said 20/30 years ago gets disregarded, and a new new new theory comes up which 'debunks' the old one and replaces it as the defacto standard.

I'm not saying that the creationists are right. What I'm saying, is that no one as of yet, has a firm grasp/grip regarding the creation of the earth nor the origins of man. It is a mystery and remains one and we will probably never no the answer. Therefore, anyone could be right, and everyone has the right to teach their own account and be heard in a publicly funded school.

RW

Quote from: "Fashionista"

Whatever profession they choose at any institution of higher learning they choose.

That will probably mean a public school *gasp*
Beware of Gaslighters!

RW

I don't understand "teaching" creationism.  Read them a couple chapters of Genesis and call it a day.  The Bible is apparently infallible.  The story is simple enough for a 3 year old to understand.  What's there to teach/discuss?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"
Quote from: "Fashionista"

That will probably mean a public school *gasp*

They probably will..

I got my administrative assistant diploma from a secular school. Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it.

RW

I have no doubt you're children will do just fine in secular school...unlike us Catholics Haha
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"I have no doubt you're children will do just fine in secular school...unlike us Catholics Haha

I enjoyed my time at a vocational college.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"Me too :)

I thought you went to a university?

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!